Member Owned A/C for VFR Checkride

Started by RwyX, January 23, 2013, 04:09:23 PM

RwyX

Can anyone steer me to the appropriate CAPR on whether a Member Owned A/C can be used for training flights say for the G1000 sign off.  I don't think this is an AFAM activity governed by CAPR 60-1 but I'm not sure.  In particular I'd like to know if a SM can use his/her own A/C with a CAP Instructor for the VFR Pilot check rides.

JeffDG

Well, for training, that's purely between the instructor and the member.  It doesn't even impinge upon CAPR 60-1, as there's no CAP aircraft involved, and can be done entirely outside of the CAP context without issue.

There is nothing in 60-1 that prohibits use of member owned aircraft for CAPF5 checkrides.  In fact, there are a number of aircraft types mentioned that are not owned by CAP (ex. PA32-300, PA32-301, PA32-260).  In the absence of a prohibition, and with the strong implication that such are permitted (how could you get a form 5 in a PA32 if member-owned aircraft were prohibited?), that's way more than enough regulatory justification for me.

Flying Pig

I did a Form 5 in a department owned aircraft (TC206H)  I got approval from the department, and the CAP CFI, who was also a local CFI at a flight school, was listed on the department vendor list to provide IPCs and flight reviews for department airplane pilots.  I was working on my CFI, and during one of the lessons, we banged out the Form 5.  So I dont see any prohibitions.  We submitted it in eservices and never had any issues.  I think the only issue that may come up is if you do it in an aircraft that CAP doesnt have.  For example, if you do it in a Piper Arrow, I dont know that you could use that same F5 to fly a CAP aircraft since CAP doesnt have Arrows. 

To qualify, doesnt the F5 have to be done in the same type of aircraft?

a2capt

I have not read any of the current regulations yet. With the last Wing Commander issuing a letter that basically ruled out member owned aircraft for anything CAP, there has not been a need to bother.

But when I was doing active flying, it was:

The aircraft needed to be on the same type line in 60-1 to get an initial F5, and in the same category or lessor to renew it.

So if you do a Form 5 in a 172 this year, you can renew the 172 next year with a 182 initial, and a 206 in the future, with paperwork for the 172 and 182 would give you all three.  But a 172 in a following year would not renew the 206 or 182.

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 23, 2013, 04:40:59 PM
I did a Form 5 in a department owned aircraft (TC206H)  I got approval from the department, and the CAP CFI, who was also a local CFI at a flight school, was listed on the department vendor list to provide IPCs and flight reviews for department airplane pilots.  I was working on my CFI, and during one of the lessons, we banged out the Form 5.  So I dont see any prohibitions.  We submitted it in eservices and never had any issues.  I think the only issue that may come up is if you do it in an aircraft that CAP doesnt have.  For example, if you do it in a Piper Arrow, I dont know that you could use that same F5 to fly a CAP aircraft since CAP doesnt have Arrows. 

The advantage of doing an Arrow F5 is if there is a member-owned arrow on an AFAM, you could use it.

I don't know about an Arrow, but something like a member owned Cherokee Six would be handy on some missions as a freight and people mover.  Put an antenna on just about any plane and you've got a high-bird repeater candidate.

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on January 23, 2013, 05:20:18 PM
I have not read any of the current regulations yet. With the last Wing Commander issuing a letter that basically ruled out member owned aircraft for anything CAP, there has not been a need to bother.

But when I was doing active flying, it was:

The aircraft needed to be on the same type line in 60-1 to get an initial F5, and in the same category or lessor to renew it.

So if you do a Form 5 in a 172 this year, you can renew the 172 next year with a 182 initial, and a 206 in the future, with paperwork for the 172 and 182 would give you all three.  But a 172 in a following year would not renew the 206 or 182.
Haven't seen if they modified it, but the last version of 60-1 permitted you to renew any HP or Complex by taking your annual in another HP or Complex, so you could renew your 206 in a 182 (but not 172 of course)

a2capt

Yes, hence the "category" reference I made. Of those four categories of aircraft, grouped by complexity, capacity and performance.

SJFedor

Quote from: JeffDG on January 23, 2013, 06:03:16 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on January 23, 2013, 04:40:59 PM

The advantage of doing an Arrow F5 is if there is a member-owned arrow on an AFAM, you could use it.

I don't know about an Arrow, but something like a member owned Cherokee Six would be handy on some missions as a freight and people mover.  Put an antenna on just about any plane and you've got a high-bird repeater candidate.

Speaking of, I believe PAWG used to have a Cherokee Six BITD. I remember seeing it in the hangar at UKT multiple times WIWAC.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ol'fido

ILWG also had a Cherokee Six BITD. The LO used it a lot.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

DG

[/quote]

Speaking of, I believe PAWG used to have a Cherokee Six BITD. I remember seeing it in the hangar at UKT multiple times WIWAC.
[/quote]

FEDOR!!!

Not a Cherokee 6, but a fixed gear Saratoga.  PA32-301.  I flew it to Clanton, AL to turn it in so we could get N206CP.

And you didn't just see it in the hangar.  You FLEW it!!!

bosshawk

At one point, perhaps six or eight years ago, CAWG had an A-36 Bonanza that the LO flew exclusively.  CAP finally put the kibosh on that and the airplane was sold(actually about the same time that the last of the T-34s went out the door).
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SJFedor

Quote from: DG on February 14, 2013, 04:38:49 AM

[/quote]

FEDOR!!!

Not a Cherokee 6, but a fixed gear Saratoga.  PA32-301.  I flew it to Clanton, AL to turn it in so we could get N206CP.

And you didn't just see it in the hangar.  You FLEW it!!!
[/quote]

That was a long time ago, I couldn't remember what it was exactly.

And I did? Man, getting old sucks. I can't even remember the fun stuff. I'll have to dig up my old logbook n look.

I do, however, remember that a certain ex of mine got stick time in 206CP long before I ever did.  >:(

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)