CAP Flight Lessons

Started by Rocketguy, November 20, 2012, 02:25:06 AM

Rocketguy

I would like to start flight lessons after the first of the year or so and was curious, how would I go about using a CAP plane, and how would I find a CAP CFI? Is there a list somewhere, or would I just have to start asking people, follow chain of command, etc.?

EMT-83

There are several topics here on this subject, use the search feature.

Asking your chain of command would be the best start. There are some here who have negative opinions on the subject, but several cadets in my wing earned their ticket this year alone.

a2capt

Not really a chain of command here, more like.. asking. Check pilots tend to be CFI's. Start with them.
.. you should be a cadet member, or you won't be getting primary flight training in a CAP aircraft.

It will still cost you the dry rate plus gas per hour. Scheduling can usually be harder than a typical flight school. But not impossible.

Walkman

If you are a cadet, you should look into the Flight Academy NCSA. You'll get 35 hours ground school and 10 hours of flight time plus you'll solo. From what I've been told, it's significantly cheaper than a normal flight school for the equivalent training. Once you get that part done, it would be much easier to find ways to build hours with a CAP pilot.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

CAP Regulation 60-1 Flight Management is your friend:

2-8. Pilot Training.
a. CAP cadets and qualified SAR/DR mission pilots are authorized to use CAP airplanes
for flight instruction toward any FAA certificate or rating.
b. All CAP members are authorized to use CAP gliders for flight instruction toward any
FAA certificate or rating.12 CAPR 60-1    16 APRIL 2012
c. CAP senior members that are not current SAR/DR mission pilots must obtain
permission to receive flight instruction in CAP airplanes toward FAA certificates or ratings as
follows:
(1) Senior members who hold a Private Pilot Airplane Certificate or higher and have
been an active CAP member for at least 1 year – wing commander written permission.
(2) All other senior members – Written permission from the wing commander, region
commander and  the CAP Executive Director is required and may be granted provided the
member lives more than two hours driving time from a commercial training facility.
d. For C182 airplanes, a student pilot must obtain the written permission of their wing or
region commander to train in a specific C182 airplane and with a specific flight instructor.  Such
permission may be granted for multiple flights (including all the flights needed to complete
private pilot flight training).  Any change of flight instructor or C182 airplane used will require
another written permission be obtained by the student.