Archer sensitivity

Started by sarmed1, August 29, 2011, 01:52:36 AM

sarmed1

So I was having a discussion with someone at work about CAP aircraft capabilites, and honestly I dont know enough about the specifics of the system.  How small of a target can it actually detect and how much of a deviation from the programed target inormation will it still "pick out" as the target.

feel free to pm me if you dont want to answer it here

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

cap235629

Archer=Irrelevant

What a waste of time and resources better sent elsewhere.  Why design a system and then not support it?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

lordmonar

Quote from: sarmed1 on August 29, 2011, 01:52:36 AM
So I was having a discussion with someone at work about CAP aircraft capabilites, and honestly I dont know enough about the specifics of the system.  How small of a target can it actually detect and how much of a deviation from the programed target inormation will it still "pick out" as the target.

feel free to pm me if you dont want to answer it here

mk

Assuming best conditions it think it has a resolution down to about six inches.

I think you can select the range of target selection for a "hit" so even if you have a paint sample.......the ARCHER can still search the other specras related to it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sardak

Publicly available information about ARCHER is here: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/emergency_services/operations_support/advanced_technologies.cfm

And more information here: http://rmgsc.cr.usgs.gov/awg/addinfo.shtml

From the information on those pages: ARCHER is designed for missions to optimally be flown at 2,500 ft AGL at a ground speed of 100 knots. At these conditions, the HSI sensor will "see" objects that are at least one square meter in size within the ground swath of 500 meters.

Post-processing using the GeoSharpen and GeoRef software can create geo-referenced imagery to 6 inch per pixel resolution. However, producing 1 foot resolution imagery takes much less time and is suitable for most customers. It's important to note that the system can produce "true-color" imagery which is more useful to more customers than the hyperspectral products.

Mike

Major Lord

I understand that in evaluations it was relatively successful in spotting the 2nd Lt's ( ARMY: gotta love having disposable crash dummies ) laying in the snow in low altitude overflights. Without spectrum capabilities beyond visible and near-IR, its nearly useless. Maybe we could find some of the guys who are good with divining rods and do a double blind test...... Color recognition and real time albedo analysis with ambient, instead of active, controlled spectrum lighting of known amplitude,  is something mostly from Harry Potter's world. For God's sake, just buy some thermal imaging gear which will do what we want, and is off-the-shelf. We promise not to ID your indoor pot farms, honest!

Major Lord
Skeptic
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

bosshawk

After spending $19 million on planes and sensors, wCAP has six out of the original 16 units that are operational and these, largely, can detect yellow trucks and blue tarps.  I ran two tests of the system to see if it would detect marijuana and the system failed miserably on that task.

I am a sensor guy with over 40 yrs experience, so my credibility is usually fair.  IMHO, ARCHER was designed by idiots, built by novices and bought by incompetents.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Short Field

Quote from: bosshawk on August 31, 2011, 09:57:26 PM
IMHO, ARCHER was designed by idiots, built by novices and bought by incompetents.
But that covers half the systems the military buys as well...  Don't talk just about the major ones - think back to all the small systems as well.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

bosshawk

After 30 years on AD and in the REserves, I can well agree with you.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

davidsinn

Quote from: Short Field on September 01, 2011, 01:35:57 AM
IMHO, ARCHER was designed by idiots, built by novices and bought by incompetents.
But that covers half the systems the military buys government is involved with as well...  Don't talk just about the major ones - think back to all the small systems as well.

FTFY  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

sarmed1

... I ran two tests of the system to see if it would detect marijuana and the system failed miserably on that task....

was that based on the plant/leaf or soil color change around it?

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

bosshawk

PM, please, Mark.  Don't like to discuss stuff like this in public.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

wingnut55

Common Col Reed, I was one of your Archer operators, you no darned well we spotted the Blue three foot by three foot leaves. I have not been on Captalk for 7 months but I had to say something.

Bob  :o