AOPA renters' insurance - $50 for CAP coverage question

Started by Swampfox, April 01, 2010, 12:23:15 AM

Swampfox

I am renewing my AOPA renters' insurance.  I noticed a check box for "Optional Civil Air Patrol Coverage".   The premium is $50 but no description of coverage.  Does anyone know anything about this coverage?  Why or if it is needed?  What it covers?  Does anyone have this coverage?

Some discussion of the policy add-on here: http://www.aopaia.com/display_article_02.cfm
It states: "A recent change in CAP regulations creates a possible liability exposure for CAP pilots."  Can anyone explain this risk?

Thanks.

lordmonar

CAP operations fall outside the normal "renter's insurance".  CAP insurance coverage gives you same coverage while on CAP time just as if you were renting.

Call AOPA for details.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Swampfox on April 01, 2010, 12:23:15 AM
I am renewing my AOPA renters' insurance.  I noticed a check box for "Optional Civil Air Patrol Coverage".   The premium is $50 but no description of coverage.  Does anyone know anything about this coverage?  Why or if it is needed?  What it covers?  Does anyone have this coverage?

Some discussion of the policy add-on here: http://www.aopaia.com/display_article_02.cfm
It states: "A recent change in CAP regulations creates a possible liability exposure for CAP pilots."  Can anyone explain this risk?

Thanks.
It is a VERY good idea to get insurance/verify your insurance if you are using any CAP asset.  It is unclear how much an accident will cost you in the end.  Even logical investigation don't necessarily mean the actual dollar assessment will match the intent of the regulation.  BEWARE!!!! BEWARE!!!!
RM 

Eclipse

Quote from: Swampfox on April 01, 2010, 12:23:15 AM

The only "change" I can think of would be the recent memos and conversations about better enforcing existing internal rules regarding negligence and charging back damage to members who are grossly negligent.

I carry a $1M blanket liability policy for my consulting business which also covers me during CAP ops, however I probably wouldn't bother if not for my business requirement.

If it helps you sleep at night, its cheap Sominex.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

I've been wondering if my $1M liability policy is enough. If something were to go very wrong, and I was found to be at fault, a million bucks doesn't go very far these days. Not just for CAP activities, but for everyday stuff.

mynetdude

you guys are talking about liability coverage for an aircraft and some for other non aircraft liability coverage.

How does your blanket liability cover you exactly? (not monetary-wise) but I'm not sure I see the point in blanket liability coverage unless you as a person were grossly negligent (and why would a negligent person buy insurance?).