Main Menu

Cadet Application Security

Started by HandsomeWalt_USMC, April 04, 2023, 01:42:26 PM

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Good morning CAPTalk!

We have three new cadets in the great start process right now after a recent open house. They've completed their three meetings and two have completed the online application and been approved. I had an email from the mother of the third. She is concerned with doing the online application with the SSN, etc. She is worried about the security of the application website with their PII. She has asked if there is any way they can apply without the SSN or if there is some way to ensure that the application is secure.

Does anyone have any insight on the security of the online application? I'd prefer not to have to utilize the paper application if possible. Thanks!
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

etodd

Tell her its an official Federal government website with all the best security protocols in place and there is nothing to worry about. Be sure and say it with your poker face on.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

HandsomeWalt_USMC

I ended up saying the SSN is used solely to identify the applicant and thereafter the CAPID is issued and used. I also pointed out that while the paper application is still an option that he may miss out on opportunities such as O-Flights (their great start flight is this weekend), as the paper application takes significantly longer to process. She very quickly decided on the electronic application because "he'd hate me forever!"
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

jeders

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on April 04, 2023, 07:11:09 PMI ended up saying the SSN is used solely to identify the applicant and thereafter the CAPID is issued and used. I also pointed out that while the paper application is still an option that he may miss out on opportunities such as O-Flights (their great start flight is this weekend), as the paper application takes significantly longer to process. She very quickly decided on the electronic application because "he'd hate me forever!"

Also, the paper application still requires the SSN and is significantly less secure.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse