FAA Proficient Pilot patch - when & where to wear it

Started by CAPAviator, April 03, 2011, 08:59:47 PM

CAPAviator

I am wondering when is a person authorized to wear the Proficient Pilot patch and where to wear it on the BDU.

For BDU's, CAP 39-1 says to wear it on the right sleeve 1/2 inch below shoulder seam, but this is where the flag is worn. Would you wear it below the flag or in place of the flag?

Can it be worn on the Flightsuit or Flight Jacket? Could you wear it on the BDU breast pocket?

And what authorizes someone to wear it? It's a FAA Proficient Pilot patch. Does this refer to the Wings  Proficient pilot program?

Eclipse

CAPR 62-1, Para 8f

f. FAA Wings Program - Wing safety officers will encourage pilot members to participate in the FAA Wings Program. Members who complete the basic phase
of this program will be eligible to wear the Pilot Proficiency Patch on flight clothing.

Now worn on right sleeve of flight suit (both colors), flight jacket (both colors), utility jumpsuit, and left breast pocket of BDU & blue field uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPAviator

Quote from: Eclipse on April 03, 2011, 09:14:06 PM
CAPR 62-1, Para 8f

f. FAA Wings Program - Wing safety officers will encourage pilot members to participate in the FAA Wings Program. Members who complete the basic phase
of this program will be eligible to wear the Pilot Proficiency Patch on flight clothing.

Now worn on right sleeve of flight suit (both colors), flight jacket (both colors), utility jumpsuit, and left breast pocket of BDU & blue field uniform.

Thanks. Now as for location to wear on BDU. Below flag? On flightsuit?

ol'fido

BDUs-Flag on right sleeve. Proficient Pilot patch on left POCKET.

Flight Suit-Flag on LEFT sleeve. PP patch on RIGHT sleeve.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

RVT

Quote from: ol'fido on April 03, 2011, 09:44:03 PM

I always hated the AF's long term affection with patches on shirt pockets.  You eithe rsew the pocket shut, making it useless, or cut the pocket off, sew onthe patch, then put the pocket back on.

Do they have some special sewing machine on AF bases - possibly whatever they use to put stripes on sleeves?  Sounds liek that or sew it on by hand whchc is a REAL bother.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I just take it to the Korean dude and say sew this on here.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Hawk200

Quote from: RVT on April 03, 2011, 10:37:26 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on April 03, 2011, 09:44:03 PM

I always hated the AF's long term affection with patches on shirt pockets.  You eithe rsew the pocket shut, making it useless, or cut the pocket off, sew onthe patch, then put the pocket back on.

Do they have some special sewing machine on AF bases - possibly whatever they use to put stripes on sleeves?  Sounds liek that or sew it on by hand whchc is a REAL bother.
I sewed on all my own while active duty AF. Only takes about half an hour. Use some sewing glue to keep in place. Not really that hard to do. Not like you're changing them every week.

RVT

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 04, 2011, 01:21:36 AMI sewed on all my own while active duty AF. Only takes about half an hour. Use some sewing glue to keep in place. Not really that hard to do. Not like you're changing them every week.

In all likelihood I will never change the pocket patches at all.  Squadron patch on one side and my Airborne Rad patch on the other since as has been pointed out, there isn't even a published standard for that anymore.  I was a 74D3P in 3/5 Air Cav in active duty in case you are curious where mine came from.  Wasn't CAP.

Eclipse

Quote from: RVT on April 04, 2011, 02:45:01 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on April 04, 2011, 01:21:36 AMI sewed on all my own while active duty AF. Only takes about half an hour. Use some sewing glue to keep in place. Not really that hard to do. Not like you're changing them every week.

In all likelihood I will never change the pocket patches at all.  Squadron patch on one side and my Airborne Rad patch on the other since as has been pointed out, there isn't even a published standard for that anymore.  I was a 74D3P in 3/5 Air Cav in active duty in case you are curious where mine came from.  Wasn't CAP.

Which state or FEMA Rad course did you take?

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

If I read Hawk's post correctly, he obtained it while on AD in the Army.  3/5 Cav is an Active Duty Army combat unit.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

Quote from: bosshawk on April 04, 2011, 04:11:23 PM
If I read Hawk's post correctly, he obtained it while on AD in the Army.  3/5 Cav is an Active Duty Army combat unit.

That was my point...

Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch embroidered on the right sleeve 1/2 inch below shoulder seam of BDU or field uniform shirt, BDU or dark blue field jacket, utility uniform or flight suit. Awarded for completion of any state or FEMA radiological monitoring course.

Not saying he didn't, but sometimes people make assumptions.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Heh.. ya know, that would be a fun course to complete :) Just so that 'nuclear' patch can be on, when that time we're DF'ing in the park on a Saturday happens.. and someone walks up and asks.. "Is it nuclear?" (Whatever it is we're looking for, with our needles and sticks)

(Yes, it's happened.)

Hawk200

Wasn't my post, it was RVT's. He was active Army, I was talking about sewing patches on BDU's while I was active duty Air Force. I personally don't have the Rad Mon patch.

GroundHawg

I got mine from Kentucky. Fundamentals Course for Radiological Monitors, no longer offered as far as I know.

SarDragon

I got mine (Airborne Rad patch) from taking a Civil Defense course while I was in MEWG in the early '70s. The CAWG folks just chuckled when I asked if I could wear it. I still have the course materials for review, if needed.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

Got mine after taking the Civil Defense Course in Tallahassee FL. Also Florida Wing included Aerial Radiological Monitoring during an annual SAREX.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on April 04, 2011, 04:34:51 PM
Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch embroidered on the right sleeve 1/2 inch below shoulder seam of BDU or field uniform shirt, BDU or dark blue field jacket, utility uniform or flight suit. Awarded for completion of any state or FEMA radiological monitoring course.
Not saying he didn't, but sometimes people make assumptions.

FEMA looked at my army credentials and just tested me without taking the class.  It had nothing to do with CAP, which I was not even part of at the time, it was from my involvement in this:http://www.medicalreservecorps.gov/.

Region IX has me on standby right now as there really aren't a lot of people qualified for this.

Quite frankly I am surprised CAP is not putting this ability back in place given current events.  Its not radiation from a bomb that has them concerned at the present time.