Uniform Change Discussion - ABU's, OCP's and other considerations

Started by Okayish Aviator, August 04, 2018, 08:16:51 PM

PHall

Most Air Force people I've seen wearing the OCP removed the velcro above the pockets and had sewn on name and branch tapes along with their wings and speciality badges. Which is an option that the wearer can choose.

Stonewall

Quote from: PHall on August 13, 2018, 10:31:43 PM
Most Air Force people I've seen wearing the OCP removed the velcro above the pockets and had sewn on name and branch tapes along with their wings and speciality badges. Which is an option that the wearer can choose.

Yup. My name, rank, and badges are all sewn on my OCPs.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: OldGuy on August 07, 2018, 10:52:43 PM
Sort of like the Navy adopting blue battle dress to blend in with the ocean. :)

That was never the purpose. When the Nay introduced the uniform, they specifically stated that is was only to hide stains.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 14, 2018, 12:58:05 AM
Quote from: OldGuy on August 07, 2018, 10:52:43 PM
Sort of like the Navy adopting blue battle dress to blend in with the ocean. :)

That was never the purpose. When the Nay introduced the uniform, they specifically stated that is was only to hide stains.

There is no such thing as a "clean" ship. Grease and oil are everywhere.

Hawk200

Don't think the blue looks very good with OCP camo. I would suggest tan color tapes/rank/cloth backgrounds with some color of darker thread. Tan would be in line with the "different in low light conditions" that the Air Force harped on.

If going with the flag, wear the right hand one. The left hand flag is pretty much a flightsuit item; right hand one would be more plentiful, and cheaper because of that.

The Air Force isn't allowing patches on pockets, so it would be distinctive, especially in the aforementioned "low light" scenarios. Just got to figure out which ones would go on pockets.

Colored squadron ballcaps would be distinctive too, bringing back a little history. Or maybe just a solid complimentary color PC.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 14, 2018, 01:10:27 AMThe left hand flag is pretty much a flightsuit item; right hand one would be more plentiful, and cheaper because of that.

There's 1MM Chinese kids cranking on US flags in every orientaiton as we speak, and the price is generally the same.
Availibility is not an issue.

I just think it's hilarious that after all the angst and care about removing it, the USAF put it right back on.

One more in the "make a CAP uniform instead of trying to chase the dragon" pile.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 14, 2018, 01:10:27 AM
The Air Force isn't allowing patches on pockets, so it would be distinctive, especially in the aforementioned "low light" scenarios. Just got to figure out which ones would go on pockets.

Yes they are.  I see it daily

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 14, 2018, 02:53:39 AM

Unit patches or Cop/Firefighter Badges?

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on August 14, 2018, 04:07:16 AM

MAJCOM,  unit, and duty identifiers

Hawk200

On the OCP? Because according to the latest release of 2903, there isn't supposed to be anything on the pockets.

From AFGM2018-02 (which is included with AFI 36-2903), "Patches or badges will not be affixed to the front pockets."

EDIT: To avoid any further confusion, I was thinking of the front pockets, although I should have specifically stated "front pockets." Sorry for the confusion, my fault entirely.

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2018, 01:25:09 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 14, 2018, 01:10:27 AMThe left hand flag is pretty much a flightsuit item; right hand one would be more plentiful, and cheaper because of that.

There's 1MM Chinese kids cranking on US flags in every orientaiton as we speak, and the price is generally the same.
Availibility is not an issue.

I just think it's hilarious that after all the angst and care about removing it, the USAF put it right back on.

One more in the "make a CAP uniform instead of trying to chase the dragon" pile.

Maybe it could be made in left hand, after thinking about it, just don't see the point of putting it on the left sleeve. Back to the old saying, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 14, 2018, 04:17:48 AM
Quote from: PHall on August 14, 2018, 04:07:16 AM

MAJCOM,  unit, and duty identifiers

I've only seen those on the shoulders, which is where, according to what has been released by the Air Force, is where they're supposed to be worn.
The only patches I've seen on the "pockets" have been cop badges.

But that's just what I have seen. YMMV

abdsp51

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 14, 2018, 02:12:50 PM
I think we have a miscommunication here.

Yeah, there was some confusion about which "pockets" were being discussed. Personally though, I do like the idea of putting our unit patches/wing patches/NCSA patches on the arms. Don't need to have the flag but it does fit. You could do a Flag and Wing on one side, NCSA or squadron choice for the other arm.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Hawk200

Quote from: DocJekyll on August 14, 2018, 02:42:31 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on August 14, 2018, 02:12:50 PM
I think we have a miscommunication here.

Yeah, there was some confusion about which "pockets" were being discussed. Personally though, I do like the idea of putting our unit patches/wing patches/NCSA patches on the arms. Don't need to have the flag but it does fit. You could do a Flag and Wing on one side, NCSA or squadron choice for the other arm.

And that was my fault, I should have said "front" pockets instead of just pockets. After all, sleeve pockets are pockets too.

For the Air Force configuration, seems like the right sleeve pocket is the flag, and higher command, or some type of optional patch. I'd say for a CAP version, wear the flag, and allow either a wing patch, or an NCSA/other type of patch (one or the other, obviously.)

On the left sleeve pocket, squadron patch. Mirror the Air Force on that. Encourage units to have their own patch. And HQ needs to encourage that local morale practice. Right now, a squadron patch isn't allowed on the flight suit (last I read.) I don't like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if other people didn't either.

For the front pockets, I think the usual patches on the left would be fine. It's distinctive since the Air Force isn't doing it. On the right, Model Rocketry would be appropriate, especially since the unit patch is elsewhere. Otherwise, leave it blank.

As to other patches, don't know. There would have to be some type of analysis and direction on them. 

abdsp51

Personaly they need to add that the SF/FD badges need to be allowed on the front pockets.  The little SF pseudo brassard deal is not sufficient.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 14, 2018, 05:32:50 PM
On the left sleeve pocket, squadron patch. Mirror the Air Force on that. Encourage units to have their own patch. And HQ needs to encourage that local morale practice. Right now, a squadron patch isn't allowed on the flight suit (last I read.) I don't like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if other people didn't either.

It's not, but also largely ignored, since there are any number of other Nascar patches allowed.
For years my wing had an approved supplement that allowed Unit insignia and even a couple of local
activity patches on the flight suit(s) until that was explicitly verboten in the regs.

Unit insignia should simply be allowed anywhere other "optional" patches are.

"That Others May Zoom"

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 14, 2018, 05:32:50 PM
For the Air Force configuration, seems like the right sleeve pocket is the flag, and higher command, or some type of optional patch. I'd say for a CAP version, wear the flag, and allow either a wing patch, or an NCSA/other type of patch (one or the other, obviously.)

For the front pockets, I think the usual patches on the left would be fine. It's distinctive since the Air Force isn't doing it. On the right, Model Rocketry would be appropriate, especially since the unit patch is elsewhere. Otherwise, leave it blank.

I like the idea of doing Flag (R top sleeve pocket), Wing patch under (R side) or NCSA and on Left side either Sqd or NCSA patch. Only 1 patch per side except when flag is placed above the left patch.

I also think if we get an update to the 39-1 under the new number scheme, we should update the wear of squadron patch with flight suit (with the caveat that any squadron patch worn on the FDU must meet the new heraldry guidelines). Even patches for Group level are prohibited which is a bit ridiculous given you wear wing or region.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Eclipse

Quote from: DocJekyll on August 14, 2018, 06:20:24 PMEven patches for Group level are prohibited which is a bit ridiculous given you wear wing or region.

Not in CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2018, 06:25:36 PM
Quote from: DocJekyll on August 14, 2018, 06:20:24 PMEven patches for Group level are prohibited which is a bit ridiculous given you wear wing or region.

Not in CAP.

Group patches are not authorized on the Air Force-style FDU.

CAPM 39-1:
Quote8.2.4.5. Right Sleeve. An authorized patch contained as outlined in Attachment 4 may be worn, except organizational patches for groups, squadrons or flights are not approved for wear.