Main Menu

EServices Glitch

Started by Capmonkey, July 25, 2022, 10:51:48 PM

Capmonkey

Has anyone noticed that Eservices has Brig Gen Aye listed as National Commander?

baronet68

Maj Gen Phelka is likely traveling out of country right now... so she's minding the fort while he's gone.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Capmonkey

That would make sense. I just found it interesting.

dwb

When a commander travels out of country, they actually replace them temporarily in eServices (as opposed to just granting temporary commander permissions).

Definitely jarring the first time you see it, but it's routine procedure.

Eclipse

Always thought that was ridiculous, regardless of the level.

There's always supposed to be a #2 (and then some) to maintain continuity,
not to mention it's not 1982, and there's few places on the planet that
someone can't be reached these days, not to mention RARELY anything so
important in CAP it can't be handled by either #2, or wait until they are back.

"That Others May Zoom"

Imouttahere

We did the same thing in the Air Force. Deputy Commanders are not commanders unless specifically designated in absence of their Commander. So when a Commander is out of country there are certain tasks that the Deputy cannot legally deal with. Plus there has to be a ready and functioning Chain of Command.

Not sure how it applies to CAP though but I'm sure there are requirements from the Air Force to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZigZag911

The whole point of a 2nd in command is that a specific individual officer
pre-designated to assume command in the absence of the permanently assigned commander.

This process of appointing deputy/vice commanders formally as commander seems like legal hair splitting.

Just the times we live in, Iguess.

Imouttahere

Again. There are matters that can only be handled by a designated commander. It's a practice as old as time. Not a new thing. Most Air Force units don't have Deputy Commanders under the group level. Some disciplinary matters can't be imposed from anyone under a commander. To my recollection, a senior officer in the squadron will go on temporary orders as the commander. That's the Air Force. Not sure what the reason is in the CAP context.

Maybe there a former jag officer here that can post specifics.

Eclipse

Quote from: usaf_defender on July 27, 2022, 11:54:01 PMThere are matters that can only be handled by a designated commander.

Such as?  (in CAP, what the military does is irrelevent)

"That Others May Zoom"

Imouttahere

Like I said, find someone that knows more about why CAP does then post it here for everyone's benefit.

SarDragon

I think we're done here. Gen. Phelka is on travel, and has designated Gen. Aye to be in charge.

Case closed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret