Youtube video 1977 "Always Vigilant - Civil Air Patrol Volunteers"

Started by spacecommand, August 01, 2010, 11:55:23 PM

spacecommand

I was browsing through youtube, and noticed someone had put up this old video recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMZToZH_amg

Another video titled:
CIVIL AIR PATROL - SAR MISSION COORDINATOR  dated 1972 is also listed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BALSKfcvnI

DakRadz

Still watching, but this is actually really interesting! I will admit I was going to click the little red X until the M*A*S*H* tune got me hooked  8)
I love how the MG enunciates. Seriously. No problem understanding what he says, even with audio of this low quality.

What hasn't changed since then:
USAFA Uniforms
Ultramarine blue and white nametapes

What has changed:
Did the females really have berets on? Or was it just the way they wore their flight caps?
Wow. Gotta love the 70s hairstyles.
SMs in almost-exactly-like-real-USAF-uniforms

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

spacecommand

The second video I have listed there was really interesting as well, I was wondering "did the pilot survive" lol. 

Yes I also noticed the woman's interesting "beret?" things.
Also the "all woman's squadron" singing in a chorus was also interesting to see (in the first video).

Майор Хаткевич

Real interesting stuff.

E-2 for Mitchell Award is mentioned, around 11 minutes.
Right after that, there's a shot of marching cadets, some in Berets, others in ball caps of all colors - looks like it's not a modern issue then, eh?

octavian

Very interesting.  It would be nice to see a modern remake.

exFlight Officer

The first video, I admit, was a little boring. I liked the second video and I would like to see a remake.

spacecommand

Yes true, it was dull, but very interesting to see the old uniforms, technology, airplanes etc.

The second video as I mentioned, I was really into (lol). 

Gotta love all those old uniforms and hair styles!

Might want to forward some of these to your PAO to see.

exFlight Officer

Good point. I did enjoy looking at the old uniforms and some things that were different in CAP back then compared to now.

BillB

To answer the question "did females wear barets".  The female uniform included a baret looking headgear that cadet officers called mushroom top because it looked like a mushroom when worn.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

LTC Don

Quote from: BillB on August 02, 2010, 11:43:59 AM
To answer the question "did females wear barets".  The female uniform included a baret looking headgear that cadet officers called mushroom top because it looked like a mushroom when worn.

Yes, that is correct.  Prior to the female flight cap coming out, the standard female headgear was a beret, that used the round, metal CAP enlisted hat insignia.  The males, had a cloth patch version that had to be sewn onto the flight cap.  Sucked big time.  The female flight cap was a huge improvement over the old female beret.

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Stonewall

I watched both videos at my first encampment in 1987.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

Quote from: LTC Don on August 02, 2010, 12:08:17 PM
Quote from: BillB on August 02, 2010, 11:43:59 AM

Yes, that is correct.  Prior to the female flight cap coming out, the standard female headgear was a beret, that used the round, metal CAP enlisted hat insignia.  The males, had a cloth patch version that had to be sewn onto the flight cap.  Sucked big time.  The female flight cap was a huge improvement over the old female beret.

Cheers,
Don't forget about the moon hat the women had to wear when it rained!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Bayareaflyer 44

Man.  I guess I'm old, but, I actually know/knew (one of them has left us for the wild blue) two of the members depicted in the first video.
Thank you for sharing - they're going in the personal collection!

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

spacecommand

Oh yeah, were they cadets or senior members? Still with CAP?

Bayareaflyer 44

They were the two seniors on the ground team about 2:16 into the first video.  They were both in CAP for 20+ years, and one was ANG for most of that as well.  In fact, what really cued me in was the one member's radio call - with the old CAWG Bear series.  In fact, I had taken his call sign (numeric only since CAWG has updated to the Yosemite call) as a tribute to my old mentor.

Good people.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

m981

The first film, about 11 1/2 minutes in, looks like Air Force Academy Survival Course, 1975 edition. A few of the faces look familiar. I remember that an AF film crew followed us around. This course went away about 1980, replaced by PJOC.
LTC. CAP
Spaatz
Wilson