Main Menu

Making up drill commands

Started by nesagsar, March 12, 2008, 07:09:08 AM

dwb

Quote from: lordmonar on June 19, 2008, 08:10:09 PMThat's called skipping down the road! >:D

"Sir, Cadet Snuffy requests permission to frollick!"

IceNine

There's always the classic break the tension type.

Present Arms

Order........Pizza

And such.  Works especially well after a barrage of very quick commands
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

cap235629

Quote from: IceNine on June 19, 2008, 01:59:44 AM
My favorite is using completely legit commands that NO ONE uses.

WIWAC it was open and close march and the like.

I also enjoy the, name slips my mind, command where the entire formation does an about, but each element walks in between 2 others.  I've seen it a bunch at The Quarterdeck of the Navy.  Can any of your sailors help a brother out?

We learned this in the Army in 88, Counter Column, MARCH!, Very cool when done correctly, otherwise humongous CLUSTER%$#@
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

mikeylikey

^ CLUSTER %$#@, March!   >:D

My all time favorite......

"Now, fall in, in a single line or two, like they do in the army, all straight and stuff, hup, hup, hup, move it, lets go, look like you know what your doing, march"
- A LA SGT BILKO.  Great TV show, even better movie!
What's up monkeys?

cap235629

another favorite was marching in the obliques, in a platoon sized formation or larger this looked WAY cool
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RickFranz

Back when I was in Basic Training in the USAF, my flight Sgt was getting ready to go back to the "real" Air Force.  His favorite command was:  Hippitee ho flight go and hippitee hop flight stop.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

♠SARKID♠

dwb

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 20, 2008, 01:28:19 AM- A LA SGT BILKO.  Great TV show, even better movie!

You're not seriously suggesting that the Bilko movie was better than The Phil Silvers Show, are you?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Steve Martin fan.  I can quote many lines from The Jerk.  But that movie was pretty lame, especially compared to how Silvers pulled off the Bilko character.

mikeylikey

^ Correct.  The TV show was better.  My slip. 
What's up monkeys?

ThorntonOL

O'Grady is a fun drill game my unit plays occasionlly to test the cadets on how well they follow orders and know their drill. Basically Simon says. Worked extremely well when I was a cadet but haven't done it lately with the cadets and after our influx it starting to look like a real nice way to let them have fun and teach them at the same time, of course encampment was a lot of fun because you had about 15 cadets from various squadrons with various ranks and in a week they were a presentable unit even beating my squadron back home at the time because they knew how to do columns and a few other items which we were still trying to work out. (This is when I was a cadet.)
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

DC

Quote from: ThorntonOL on June 22, 2008, 05:32:14 PM
O'Grady is a fun drill game my unit plays occasionlly to test the cadets on how well they follow orders and know their drill. Basically Simon says. Worked extremely well when I was a cadet but haven't done it lately with the cadets and after our influx it starting to look like a real nice way to let them have fun and teach them at the same time, of course encampment was a lot of fun because you had about 15 cadets from various squadrons with various ranks and in a week they were a presentable unit even beating my squadron back home at the time because they knew how to do columns and a few other items which we were still trying to work out. (This is when I was a cadet.)
Yeah, O'Grady, IDR, or whatever you happen to call it is great for teaching some of the finer points of drill, as well as getting some competetive spirit going if you can get two flights, competing. Even if you don't have two full flights, a flight of 12 or so cadets can be made up into small units.

We always allow the cadet that wins to command the flight next turn, so the junior cadets get valuable experience learning how to drill a flight.

CadetProgramGuy

Counter column was a favorite of mine during basic.  Teaching cadets to do it is another matter.

When we were in Mess Hall, we did a movement to split into the 3 service types, (RA, ER, and NG) we called it Mess Hall, Harch (we sang the song from teh movie "Cadence" - chain Gang.

JMessmer

Quote from: JThemann on March 12, 2008, 07:09:37 PM
Quote from: nesagsar on March 12, 2008, 07:09:08 AM
Pimp Step March
Change Position March
Forward Go
Chillax
Breach and Clear
Forward to the rear with a slight hesitation change step March

Good times. Illinois Wing Summer Encampment 2004 Comm/Sec Flight.

Right...So I take it your flight can perfectly preform any move in the D&C manual before you start jacking around?

Wow lets not bag on him. Hes here tellin a story, contributing positively, why bag on his post? its all just fun
~C/CMSgt Jason C. Messmer
Emergency Services NCOIC
Apollo C.S.
TXWG SWR-TX-371
(Former NCWG MER-NC-007)
NCWG Basic Summer '06
TXWG Encampment Staff '08
Blue Beret '09

pixelwonk

Cadet, let's not revive old threads without adding anything truly worthy of necromancy.  Look at the date before you post.

AlphaSigOU

Double to the rear, by the right flank, left flank, double to the rear, MARCH!

And for fun... 'Hippity hop, mob stop!'

These were fun days, my broheims! ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ol'fido

Forward, mosey and Forward Mass Mosey(large formations).
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Chief2009

Quote from: olefido on May 28, 2009, 01:08:42 AM
Forward, mosey and Forward Mass Mosey(large formations).
Sounds a lot like Mass Gaggle formation. ;D

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Always Ready

"Present salute!" -AFROTC classmate during an IDE (Individual Drill Evaluation-Someone evaluates another person on how well they lead a flight in drill. They have to complete certain commands in a specific order in a specific amount of time and keep control of their flight at all times.)

"Do what they just did, MARCH!" -My CAP encampment flight sergeant who was practicing drilling the flight

"OMG do that cool thing where you turn around and march between each other, march...or is it harch? Just do it ok guys?" -An AFROTC upperclassman during an IDE. She never knew what she was doing lol

MIKE

Get how you was before you got like you is.
Mike Johnston

Lt Oliv

When I was in Basic (Navy) we had a guy who couldn't get the hang of flanking movements.  The entire division would flank left, and he would keep walking straight, generally taking out three or four other recruits in the process.

During inspection, he always caught firewatch back at the barracks for some strange reason...