Main Menu

Paid Life Memberships

Started by Cecil DP, August 25, 2007, 09:31:50 AM

Cecil DP

About 15 years ago, the NEC voted to allow members to purchase a Life Membership (I believe the price was $1000).  Immediately after the announcement the issue disappeared, A query to National at the time was that it was dropped because once someone was a life member they couldn't revoke it. (BS) How would you feel about paid life memberships. My personal feeling is that at the price mentioned it would actually make some money for CAP if enough members signed on and the money was invested> If 1000 members signed on it would generate about seventy thousand dollars a year without the need to send out renewals. Keep in mind also that the money stays in that pool, still collecting interest even after the member passes on.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Stonewall

How much would it suck if you paid $1000 and 2 years later CAP folded.  ???

I guess it would be a decent idea and I'd probably do it.  Right now, at $50 a pop, it'd give me 20 more years in CAP.  Would they give me a free "40" to put on my red service ribbon in 20 years?
Serving since 1987.

Cecil DP

If you believe the organization won't be around for at least 20 years, No don't do it,. But in many wings, the dues are much higher than $50, with a high of $76 in California, 65 in Texas and several more at 60. (For the record NH is lowest at $40 with a few others in the mid 40's). So it would be worth it if you're anticipating keeping your membership for a long time (and living that long too)

The paid life memberships work for many large organizations and should work for CAP too.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

AlphaSigOU

In Freemasonry they have a program called endowed or perpetual memberships (variations of both names exist in all Masonic jurisdictions in the US).

For a one time payment of $500 (in Texas) or 15 times your lodge's annual dues (in Oklahoma) you're relieved of the payment of dues in your lodge. The monies for perpetual memberships are placed in a separate account and every year the interest from each lodge's perpetual membership is returned back to the lodge. This continues not only for the life of the member, but continues to pay after the member's death, as long as the lodge is active. Perpetual memberships can be transferred to another lodge in limited circumstances (for example, a lodge that closed).

In any case, perpetual membership does not absolve the member of his Masonic responsibilities, such as obeying the rules of the Grand Lodge of which he is a member. If a member is suspended or expelled, the interest continues to be paid annually; it's never refunded.

I think it could be done in CAP, but the current dues structure of each wing can either make it a bargain or very expensive. Some will transfer to a cheaper wing to take advantage of a cheaper perpetual membership, artificially inflating numbers. I can see it for national dues, not including wing or region dues.

For the record, I hold a perpetual membership in Will Rogers Lodge #53, Claremore, Oklahoma, in the Grand Lodge of Oklahoma. I paid 15 times annual dues for mine; at the time I got it it was $375. ($25 x 15); dues and correspondingly a perpetual membership is much more now. (Yes, it's Brother Will's mother lodge.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Skyray

I can't believe nobody noticed and commented on the reason that life memberships were turned down.  So the Good Ole Boys at the top don't have an issue if they decide to terminate you for political reasons.  I think this is pretty much the reason that CAP has cheesy short term ID cards, too.  There is entirely too much terminating going on in this outfit.  A 2B for insubordination is what started the furor surrounding the National Commander.  The 2B would have never survived in a fair organization, the facts were too uncompelling.  Fortunately, the subject of the 2B was familiar enough with local dissembling and politics to ask for help early on, and when he didn't get any, he dropped the "Testingate" grenade.

A 2B is not a failure of the member terminated.  It is a failure, and a confession of failure, of the "leader" requesting the 2B.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

ZigZag911

Quote from: Skyray on August 25, 2007, 06:36:08 PM
A 2B is not a failure of the member terminated.  It is a failure, and a confession of failure, of the "leader" requesting the 2B.

Often, but not always....there are those that no matter how often you counsel, how diligently you train, how many 'second chances' you offer, will violate safety procedures, ignore CPPT, fail in their fiduciary responsibilities....I do agree that termination is far too often a first resort rather than last....and even more frequently is used for personal purposes rather than CAP's good.

Skyray

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 25, 2007, 07:49:40 PM

Often, but not always....there are those that no matter how often you counsel, how diligently you train, how many 'second chances' you offer, will violate safety procedures, ignore CPPT, fail in their fiduciary responsibilities....I do agree that termination is far too often a first resort rather than last....and even more frequently is used for personal purposes rather than CAP's good.

No matter how you slice it, and how many reasons you offer, a termination is a confession by the terminating officer that he does not have the leadership skill to bring this asset in line with the normally accepted sociological standards by which the organization operates.  I will eschew discussing the situation when the organizational meme deviates from that of society, like the one that Pineda imposed on Florida Wing, and then tried to impose on National.
Doug Johnson - Miami

arajca

Quote from: Skyray on August 26, 2007, 06:09:02 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 25, 2007, 07:49:40 PM

No matter how you slice it, and how many reasons you offer, a termination is a confession by the terminating officer that he does not have the leadership skill to bring this asset in line with the normally accepted sociological standards by which the organization operates.  I will eschew discussing the situation when the organizational meme deviates from that of society, like the one that Pineda imposed on Florida Wing, and then tried to impose on National.
No. For example, we had a two cadets dating - one 18, one 16. They kept their relationship cool on CAP activities and meetings - heck, most of the members didn't know they were dating. The male cadet enlisted in the AF. According to regs, he transferred to senior status effective the day he reported for basic training. Before leaving, he was asked what he planned to do about his relationship since senior/cadet dating is prohibited. After some discussion of options - including letting his membership run out in six months, he decided to take a 2B to avoid even the appearance of impropriety and he wouldn't be back until after his membership expired. There was noting leadership could do about this - and we spent many hours searching the regs for an alternative.

IIRC, a couple years ago, the NB discussed a "voluntary membership termination form" but I haven't seen anything about it.

RiverAux

What was the official reason for the 2b in this case?  "Dating a cadet" would probably get him banned for life. 

arajca

"Voluntary termination of membership"

Duke Dillio

There are cases where the 2B is perfectly warranted and there is no other alternative.  Here is a good case example:  Cadet A is a SSGT in Squadron A.  He transfers to Squadron B and when he shows up for his first meeting night, he is wearing c/2LT rank and had a CAPF 59-2 sent in to national completely filled out with forged signatures and the like.  The CC of Squadron B talks to the CC of Squadron A (as both squadrons were like 15 miles apart) and the cadet is caught.  The Squadron B CC initiates the 2B action.  During the appeal board meeting, the investigating officer reviews the case and gives the cadet a second chance by demoting him to C/TSGT and forcing him to work his way back up through the ranks that he had fraudulently accrued.  Two weeks after the review board, Squadron B's personnel officer receives an Earhart award for the cadet.  2B is again initiated and then approved and the cadet is removed from CAP permanently. 

Where, in this case, did any leader at any level show that they did not have the leadership ability to reform this cadet?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: arajca on August 26, 2007, 06:22:30 PM
IIRC, a couple years ago, the NB discussed a "voluntary membership termination form" but I haven't seen anything about it.

The current Form 2B allows for 'voluntary resignation' for either cadet or senior member. Why would they create a new form just for that?
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Another thing to add about perpetual memberships: if a perpetual/endowed member is suspended or expelled from Freemasonry, he no longer exercises the privileges of membership, but the 'per capita' interest from his perpetual membership continues to accrue and is paid yearly, if I remember correctly.

Would a device such as a gold star on the Red Service Ribbon denoting perpetual membersip status be some kind of incentive? Leave the life member status to 50-year members and outgoing national commanders or others deserving of such singular recognition, but at least a perpetual membership can support CAP financially, at least at the squadron level.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JC004

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 26, 2007, 11:14:58 PM

The current Form 2B allows for 'voluntary resignation' for either cadet or senior member. Why would they create a new form just for that?

I think that was the old non-renewal form...

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JC004 on August 26, 2007, 11:34:07 PM

Wasn't there a 2c form?
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JC004

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 27, 2007, 12:20:13 AM
Quote from: JC004 on August 26, 2007, 11:34:07 PM

Wasn't there a 2c form?

I think that was it...

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 27, 2007, 01:26:40 AM

I think that was it...

IIRC, it was removed for being used inappropriately in too many cases.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Skyray

Quote from: sargrunt on August 26, 2007, 11:05:39 PM
There are cases where the 2B is perfectly warranted and there is no other alternative.  Here is a good case example:  Cadet A is a SSGT in Squadron A.  He transfers to Squadron B and when he shows up for his first meeting night, he is wearing c/2LT rank and had a CAPF 59-2 sent in to national completely filled out with forged signatures and the like.  The CC of Squadron B talks to the CC of Squadron A (as both squadrons were like 15 miles apart) and the cadet is caught.  The Squadron B CC initiates the 2B action.  During the appeal board meeting, the investigating officer reviews the case and gives the cadet a second chance by demoting him to C/TSGT and forcing him to work his way back up through the ranks that he had fraudulently accrued.  Two weeks after the review board, Squadron B's personnel officer receives an Earhart award for the cadet.  2B is again initiated and then approved and the cadet is removed from CAP permanently. 

Where, in this case, did any leader at any level show that they did not have the leadership ability to reform this cadet?

In words of one syllable, I know Marine Gunnery Sergeants that could straighten this kid out in one counseling session.  From what you relate here, no one, except maybe counsel at his appeal board, ever investigated why he wanted to be an officer so badly, or why he didn't realize that it means nothing if you don't earn it.  Those are areas that a real leader would explore before discarding the kid.  One of the recent Florida Wing Commanders was 2Bed as a cadet, so there is life after termination.  You just have to be a leader to find it.
Doug Johnson - Miami

ZigZag911

No matter how you slice it, and how many reasons you offer, a termination is a confession by the terminating officer that he does not have the leadership skill to bring this asset in line with the normally accepted sociological standards by which the organization operates. 

Some people simply will not "work and play well with others".

They probably "run with scissors", too!

I can not agree that it is always a leadership failure....some people refuse to be guided by anyone else.

Skyray

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 27, 2007, 04:44:49 AM
No matter how you slice it, and how many reasons you offer, a termination is a confession by the terminating officer that he does not have the leadership skill to bring this asset in line with the normally accepted sociological standards by which the organization operates. 

Some people simply will not "work and play well with others".

They probably "run with scissors", too!

I can not agree that it is always a leadership failure....some people refuse to be guided by anyone else.

As much as it pains me, I have to admit you are right.  There are some people who are incorrigible and should be terminated.  So I guess what I was trying to say is that we too frequently jump to the termination option and discard useful talent.  In support of what you are saying, if Don Cunningham had terminated a certain second lieutenant back in 1990 who was wearing wings he hadn't earned and carrying a gun in uniform that he had been directly ordered not to carry in uniform, he would have spared the corporation a great deal of embarrassment.  The key is knowing when the member is displaying incorrigible behavior and should be terminated rather than salvaged.
Doug Johnson - Miami