Is there any "paperwork" that still needs to go electronic?

Started by RiverAux, August 18, 2007, 04:03:04 PM

RiverAux

Okay we all know that processing paperwork has been the bane of CAP's existence for most of its history.  The perils of having a volunteer organization with many units not really having a permanent office or address has always caused paperwork to go missing, get delayed in processing, and otherwise make it hard to be a member.

CAP has made progress in going as electronic as possible but are there areas where we still need to go electronic rather than depending on paper forms sent by mail?  What forms in particular need to be changed to online processes similar to the ES training approval process (better, hopefully)? 

AlphaSigOU

Awards and decorations... how many times has one been awarded the 'Green Weenie' or some of the other CAP decorations and awards and lost their certificate and/or paperwork? Only through painstaking research or keeping a backup can most of us older members keep track. And by having it online, it eliminates that pesky 'Army way' of wearing unit citations. (prepares to run from the CAPTalk Army contingent...  ;D)

I've been meaning to copy my Mitchell and Earhart certificates and get them sent to CAP NHQ so they can credit them on eServices - if they can.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

You would think there would be a nice little data input application listing all the possible awards that a unit commander could go in and check "approve" for, have Wing commander backup approve and be done with it.  Maybe have an automatic report generator that would produce a letter for the commander to sign as backup paper proof. Seems pretty simple to me.  Would also have a screen to validate military awards that the unit commander could approve after being shown proof by the member.  That way there isn't any question of what you're supposed to have on.   

Skyray

I was in North Carolina Wing in '98-'99 and they were working on a "paperless" wing as a pilot project.  Anyone got any information on how that turned out?  One of the problems was signed credentials, but in the ensuing years PGP encrypted signatures should have solved that problem.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

RiverAux

I don't think signatures are really all that important now.  Pretty much all the ES qual paperwork is done similarily to how I suggested awards be done -- no signatures, electronic or otherwise required. 

Skyray

Well, as a safety officer, I have occasionally been curious to know "who signed this idiot's Form 5?"
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Tubacap

And signatures on the ES paperwork is still a must in our wing.  We get to imput the quals into eServices, the WMU, and still have a hand signed letter in our folders.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001