Let's make some changes now

Started by ltcmark, August 09, 2007, 02:00:24 AM

ltcmark

OK here is an idea – lets change the Constitution of the US to allow none US citizens to be President!!!!  I know a guy in California that would love to see this changed.

I thought that when I posted this, people would understand the point I was trying to get across.  Obviously not, so I will elaborate.

ZigZag911 you hit it right on the head.  After 35 years in CAP, I have seen everything as far as commanders go.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  I am so sick and tired of the good-ol-boy network.  We had one wing commander recently in our wing that just about destroyed it.  We lost over half of our member in his 4 year reign.  Why?  He did not know anything about the program.

I will elabortate now on my orginal post:

a. Hold the CAP grade of Lt Col.

I do not believe in skipping grades.  I worked my butt off for my rank and for someone to go from 2LT to Lt Col (I saw this one happen a few years ago) or from Maj to Lt Col, just rubs me the wrong way.  It cheapens the program, especially for the guys who work there way through the program. 

b. Completed Level V of the Senior Member Training Program.

I might flex on this one for the Group Commander, put the Wing Commander is supposed to be the shining example of the best CAP has to offer.  How can that be if they have not been through the program - the entire program.  Level V needs to stand for something other than an award.  It can be the carrot that everyone goes after.

c.  Hold a master rating in one:  Emergency Services, Cadet Programs, Aerospace Education.

Duhhhh.  Again a shining example of program.  The Wing Commander should be an expert in at least one of the Missions of CAP.  Do you think a USAF officer would be promoted or put in command if he had no idea what the mission of the Air Force is?  Any one of these 3 are completely doable in a 10-15 year time span.  If you want to bad enough it will be done.

d.  Hold a current emergency services rating.

Since ES plays such a big part of what we do, this is a no brainer.  We actually had a Wing Commander that did not even have a 101 card when he was selected.  They quickly pencil whipped one for flight line so that he would look good to the Air Force.  Sir, if you read this - ELT, it stand for Emergency Locator Tranmitter ;D

e. 5 years command experience as squadron or group commander.

I spent 14+ years as Squadron Commander, 4+ years as Wing ES officer, 4 years as Chief of Staff and 2 years as Vice Commander.  We did not have groups at the time, so I have no group experience.

Looking back on my command experience, I realized it took me 3-4 years just to figure out how to run an effective program.  I have worked with dozens of new commanders in a mentoring program that I developed.  I know what it takes to be a commander.  The current requirement of 3 years of command or staff experience does not even come close to meeting the skill set requirements or demands of being Wing Commander.

f. Budget and asset acquisition knowledge gained within or outside CAP.

Good idea for those wings that actually have money.

g. 15 years total CAP membership with no less than five continuous years of service prior to appointment.

As I mentioned above, it is CAP experience that you are looking for.  The only way to get CAP experience is to be in CAP.  CAP is a large and complex organization.  I just do not see how someone with just 5 years in the program can do it justice.  I know there may be a special exception, but overall you have to be active and experienced to know what is going on.  I might look at 10 years overall, but 5 is just not long enough.

h.  Individual must complete a successful fingerprint rescreening with application.

Why waste time and effort on someone if they cannot pass a rescreening.

i.  These requirements cannot be waived.

This eliminates putting your buddy in a position that he is not qualified for.  I have seen the current requirements overlooked many, many, many times.  What is the point of evening having them if no one pays attention to them?

Again, by getting the Air Force involved in our selection process, it gives them some input into a program that they pump millions of dollars into.  The reason that I would make it top heavy with Air Force officers instead of CAP is that they are less likely to participate in the political shenanigans that CAP has become famous for.

Elections of commanders is not a good idea either.  It becomes a popularity contest.  Just look at election time for our National Commander.  It is almost "X" rated with all the butt kissing going on.  The military is a dictatorship, not a democracy.  CAP follows military guidelines, so commanders should be appointed. 

MIKE

I think some of you might be interested to learn how the other auxiliary handles progression of the leadership.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Now that I think about it 5 years as a squadron or group commander is a bit much.  For one reason, squadron commanders shouldn't have that long a tour of duty anyway - for the same reason we put term limits on other levels.  I think 3 years of squadron and/or group (not everyone has them you know) command is probably good enough. 

Elections have worked pretty well in the CG Auxilary for longer than CAP has been in existence.  Yes, they are sort of popularity contest, but like with anything you don't usually get too many totally incompetent people elected especially when you're talking about the small number of people voting.  The people in a squadron probably know the capabilities of their potential leaders much better than anyone higher up in CAP and let them chose a person they like and believe can get the job done. 

Yes, there is some "politics" involved but the advantage is that it is totally out in the open rather than hidden in the backrooms as politics is in CAP now. 

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on August 10, 2007, 01:07:50 AM
Elections have worked pretty well in the CG Auxilary for longer than CAP has been in existence.  Yes, they are sort of popularity contest, but like with anything you don't usually get too many totally incompetent people elected especially when you're talking about the small number of people voting.  The people in a squadron probably know the capabilities of their potential leaders much better than anyone higher up in CAP and let them chose a person they like and believe can get the job done.

The eligibility critera for office is more what I was getting at.
Mike Johnston

ZigZag911

Quote from: davedove on August 09, 2007, 11:53:37 AM
I like the idea of requirements to hold the Commanders' positions, but what do you do if you don't have any candidates that are qualified?  You would have to have some sort of provision for that. 

Once upon a time Wing CCs were appointed and remained lt col for the first six months of their appointment -- a precursor, I guess, to the present "probationary" first year as Wing CC.

In those instances where a wing does not have any eligible candidates who meet the requirements, I can see several possible resolutions:

1) recruit  fully qualified candidates from region staff or a neighboring wing

OR

2) with a waiver from NHQ, open to most qualified officers within the wing to apply;
    the officer selected for the wing commander post would be a lt col (either promoted to or retained in grade) until such time as the officer completed all requirements for the post. During this period the incumbent would have the title "Interim Wing Commander". There might need to be a time limit for completion or reasonable progress.