Cost Professional Development Courses

Started by shorning, August 05, 2007, 08:27:15 PM

shorning

I'm curious what is charged for SLS/CLC/UCC around the country.  I know Wings run these courses in a variety of ways.  None are really right or wrong as long as it works for that Wing.  Plus, we might get ideas to improve our own programs by looking other others.

The reason I'm asking?  My Wing has received some complaints over the fee we are charging for and upcoming SLS/CLC (both on the same weekend).  For this course they are asking $20 which covers the cost of the print outs, lunch both days, and coffee and juice both mornings.  Members will have to pay for their own lodging, but arrangement can be made at a local Air Force base (if space is available).  Transportation is also the responsibility of the member, but the Wing has arranged for a training exercise to begin that weekend.  So that might be a transportation option for some.

So, I'm going to presume they pay for their own transportation cost to and from the activity.  But if they choose to attend, what can members expect to pay for?  Is there a cost for the course?  Do they pay for food?  Do they pay for lodging?  What other incidental expenses do they have?  On the other side, what is considered to be "included" in the course?  What else am I missing?

Stonewall

Personally, the only time I've spent money for PD, other than gas, was for Region Staff College 5 states away, in another region.  And to be honest, I'm not even sure I paid for the course, just the lodging and meals.

I've never charged for a PD course and I've never been charged.  I didn't know one could be charged unless there was planned catering or something and then it would only be like $5 or $10.

If you're hard up for SLS, CLC, etc, then I guess people would fork money out of pocket for trans and lodging, but that's about it.

I taught at a PDW a few months ago where lunch and snacks were provided, but I'm not sure if folks were charged.  I can't imaging having someone drive up to Jacksonville from Miami and then asking them for $10 for a half-a$$ sub sandwich.
Serving since 1987.

shorning

Quote from: Stonewall on August 05, 2007, 08:35:38 PM
I've never charged for a PD course and I've never been charged.  I didn't know one could be charged unless there was planned catering or something and then it would only be like $5 or $10.

Then who pays?  While there may be no cost to the member, someone has to pay for things.  I'm sure some Wings budget for these courses, but others don't see PD as a priority.  I know NHQ used to have a budget for PD courses, but when we started our planning, we were told this was no longer the case.

And if you're catering the thing, the cost would be whatever the cost of the catering is divided by the number of participants.  For us, we're a small Wing, so we have a small number of participants no matter what.

Flying Pig

Several years ago I attended a course, I think it was SLS or something like that.  Anyway, it was free, but we all had to bring our own food and drinks and or break and leave for lunch.  I later went to another course where everyone was charged $15-$20 and we had a nice lunch catered and had drinks and stayed on site.  It just seemed to make for a more formal atmosphere.  Its nice to be able to get up and get coffee in he morning, etc.  Especially when these resident type courses are designed for meeting people.  Everyone seemed to get together earlier for coffee in the classoom and talk.

As far as paper, printer ink, etc.  Someones gotta pay for it. 

Fifinella

Quote from: shorning on August 05, 2007, 08:27:15 PM
I'm curious what is charged for SLS/CLC/UCC around the country.  I know Wings run these courses in a variety of ways.  None are really right or wrong as long as it works for that Wing.  Plus, we might get ideas to improve our own programs by looking other others.

So, I'm going to presume they pay for their own transportation cost to and from the activity.  But if they choose to attend, what can members expect to pay for?  Is there a cost for the course?  Do they pay for food?  Do they pay for lodging?  What other incidental expenses do they have?  On the other side, what is considered to be "included" in the course?  What else am I missing?
LAWG charges $20.  Coffee & donuts provided.  Member pays for gas, lunch, and lodging.
ARWG had no charge, and provided coffee & donuts, and a nice lunch of sandwich fixings, chips, cookies, etc.    Member pays for gas & lodging.
GAWG charged $5, and provided very nice continental breakfast, juice, coffee, snacks, etc.  Member pays for gas, lunch, and lodging.
I have never encountered a charge for course materials.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RiverAux

Never paid or heard of having to pay for SLS or CLC.  However, if they are providing food, its not unreasonable to ask the members to chip in.  Now, if Wing if flush with cash they should probably consider eating (pun intended) the cost of such things. 

SarDragon

The PD weekend we just did at CAWG cost $20, which covered the chow that was available all of both days - coffee, sodas, all kinds of munchies, fruit, etc. I don't know what else the funds might have been used for. The price seemed reasonable to me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: shorning on August 05, 2007, 08:27:15 PM

The reason I'm asking?  My Wing has received some complaints over the fee we are charging for and upcoming SLS/CLC (both on the same weekend).  For this course they are asking $20 which covers the cost of the print outs, lunch both days, and coffee and juice both mornings.  Members will have to pay for their own lodging, but arrangement can be made at a local Air Force base (if space is available).  Transportation is also the responsibility of the member, but the Wing has arranged for a training exercise to begin that weekend.  So that might be a transportation option for some.

I don't see any problem with $20 to cover the costs.  If there is proper presentation of documents and other expenses.   Sometimes there might be rent to pay or other incidental costs.

I do have some problems with units that use CAP Professional development courses as a FUNDRAISING opportunity.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Viper QA

I've never seen a PD course that did not charge a fee. Those of you who are in Wings that fund them are fortunate.

I've done a SLS, CLC, & UCC. The most I have ever been charged for a course is $25. I never found that unreasonable because coffee/doughnuts & lunch were provided. Also course handouts cost $$$ to reproduce. Any gas & lodging were out of pocket.

The courses are not mandatory to be a CAP SM....just to advance in the program!

Someone has to pay!
J.J. Jones
NY-135

MIKE

Quote from: Viper QA on August 05, 2007, 11:00:27 PM
I've never seen a PD course that did not charge a fee. Those of you who are in Wings that fund them are fortunate.

At the opposite end of this... Only ever been asked to donate a couple of bucks to cover the cost of the donuts and Box of Joe.
Mike Johnston

JohnKachenmeister

We just ran a PDW here in Florida and we did not charge a fee.  I was "Selected" to pay for the coffee and donuts, and put in for reimbursement to wing, which is $70 and change I haven't seen come back yet. 

Staff and students were on their own for meals, which was on a base, so the mess hall meals ran something like $2.15 for a large salad and drink up to about $5.50 for a full meal.
Another former CAP officer

bosshawk

Steve: $15 or 20 sounds perfectly reasonable to me:  with the reproduction of printed materials being what it is, it is unreasonable to expect the Sq or Gp putting on the course to foot the bill.   Fat pills and coffee also cost someone a bunch.  Of course, a lot of CAP members think that everything should be free.

If you hold it on a military installation, the cost of lodging is very reasonable.  Trans is another issue and that is up to the member.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

BlackKnight

What each wing charges for PD courses may depend on whether those costs are included in the supplemental monies provided to the wing by state government.  If the PD course costs are included in the approved state budget allocation then the wing should not need to charge course fees.  Of course if the state provided money for the PD courses and the wing charged course fees anyway so they could spend that money somewhere else- well,  that would normally be fraud.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

RiverAux

Keep in mind that Wing does have money sources of its own outside of state government-- member dues for example. 

JC004

I think we did $20 last time.  It helps offset the overall budget, which covers donuts/coffee, lunch both days, and lodging on post.  Beer must be funded by the individual members, but I have recommended that we fire some paid staff in order to have a more adequate beer supply.   >:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 06, 2007, 04:30:11 AM
I think we did $20 last time.  It helps offset the overall budget, which covers donuts/coffee, lunch both days, and lodging on post.  Beer must be funded by the individual members, but I have recommended that we fire some paid staff in order to have a more adequate beer supply.   >:D

Like the Webmaster General?   >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 06, 2007, 04:38:14 AM

Like the Webmaster General?   >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

I'm volunteer staff, sadly.   :(

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 06, 2007, 04:41:55 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 06, 2007, 04:38:14 AM

I'm volunteer staff, sadly.   :(

Was pretty sure, but I couldn't really help myself- you opened it up, really ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

I just took SLS and CLC.

SLS was free and CLC was $10.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davedove

Both the SLS I took in January and the CLC the end of this month cost $25.  That covers the cost of reproduction of handouts, plus breakfast/snacks and lunch both days.  Any transportation or lodging costs are the responsibility of the individual members.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Al Sayre

In MSWG, no charge for the schools, although you are expected to throw in a couple of bucks for the snacks & chow etc.  You pay for your own gas and (lodging if needed) Wing reimburses instructors for fuel if required.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SAR-EMT1

I recall that I paid 20 bucks for the (SLS) course. It was at Scott AFB in the quarters of the resident CAP Squadron and I had to pay for meals, gas, and lodging myself (About 75 bucks all told) although donuts and coffee were provided to those lucky few who got to it first.

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

floridacyclist

My SLS in Pcola was free...food was on me, but it was on-base so it was cheap. Just talked to the PDO yesterday about an SLS and he said to send him all the receipts including lunch as long as we keep it reasonable....guess that means that having Hooters Cater it is out.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Fifinella

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 08, 2007, 01:29:35 PM
he said to send him all the receipts including lunch as long as we keep it reasonable....guess that means that having Hooters Cater it is out.
Well, that depends on how cheap those Hooters girls are... >:D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Fifinella on August 08, 2007, 06:46:17 PM
he said to send him all the receipts including lunch as long as we keep it reasonable....guess that means that having Hooters Cater it is out.

Having a woman say this makes the joke so much better.

What is the setup for pricing, lodging etc... for things like RSC and NSC?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

RogueLeader

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 11, 2007, 09:43:56 PM
Quote from: Fifinella on August 08, 2007, 06:46:17 PM

Having a woman say this makes the joke so much better.

What is the setup for pricing, lodging etc... for things like RSC and NSC?
For the NCR, RSC which was at Offut AFB, hotels were like $65 a night. IIRC
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SAR-EMT1

Darn...
What about the other associated costs?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

LittleIronPilot

Wow....$20 for two-days of classes and all of the material plus coffee and donuts is very, very reasonable.

SAR-EMT1

20 bucks for SLS/CLC is a good deal.

However I cant see 65 bucks for base lodging as reasonable; Maybe 40. (Unless the 65 gets you club access wilst you are there) ... I cant see anyone letting CAP into an O-Club.
Your mileage may vary.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SJFedor

Eh, I dunno, they were letting us have free reign of the club at Camp Atterbury at NESA.

MAS and ICSS had a fun graduation night there. I left around midnight when the tequila came out.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Fifinella

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 14, 2007, 03:51:48 AM
I cant see anyone letting CAP into an O-Club.
Your mileage may vary.

Didn't have any trouble getting into the aircrew bar at the O Club after Encampment...Boy, did I need THAT. :P

Forgot to mention: LAWG does not charge cadets for attending our "Training Academy".  It is held 3x a year, in a centralized location, and includes SLS, CLC, etc plus MS/MP, UDF, First Aid, etc.  The cadets are included in UDF, First Aid, etc. courses.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 14, 2007, 03:51:48 AM
... I cant see anyone letting CAP into an O-Club. Your mileage may vary.

I've never been denied access to an O-Club because I was a CAP Officer.  Heck, when I was a cadet I was able to go to the O-Club for food.  I didn't even know there were memberships... :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill