Can a C/SSgt be a first sergeant?

Started by saltymeat, February 22, 2019, 05:44:25 PM

saltymeat

If there is a C/CMSgt and a C/MSgt  can a cadet commander appoint a C/SSgt as first sergeant when the regular C/SMSgt first sergeant is not there that week?

Color Guard Rifleman

If it is just a short amount of time that the first sergeant isn't there, no, it would make no sense seeing as how the first sergeant will be back the next week. But to answer the question if a C/SSgt can be a first sergeant, no. First Sergeant is meant for cadets between the rank of C/MSgt and C/CMSgt.
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Hi saltymeat (btw, I grok salty meat... being "Spam" - welcome)!

Lets be clear:  cadets, even cadet Colonels, cannot "appoint" anyone. They recommend cadet personnel assignments up through their chain of command to the single person at Squadron level who can make those assignments per CAPM 20-1 (Org of CAP). That's the Squadron Commander (senior member). See p. 52 for C/1SGT position descriptions (and the note, "Cadet First Sergeant Suggested cadet grades: C/MSgt through C/CMSgt").

This serves a couple of good purposes: a/ it consolidates the decision in one individual upon whom the responsibility rests, and b/ it insulates cadet staff (and senior staff) from accusations of favoritism and impropriety. Cadet staff, who should be under the mentorship of (hopefully trained) CP officers and senior cadets, should step through the analysis process to make those recommendations, using the Cadet Staff Handbook as a guide. Cadet staff (e.g. C/Flight Commanders) and their Cadet Commander (and his deputy) need to sit down, look at the TO, and walk through the tradeoffs of IF you need a C/1SGT, and the pluses and minuses of WHO to recommend to the unit/CC.

So, bottom line Cadet Commanders are not empowered to appoint ANYONE.
Its up to the Sqdn/CC to appoint, recommendations from the C/CC, CDC, or not.
He may choose to fill the slot with the recommended member, leave it vacant, or fill it as he/she sees fit, using 20-1 and the staff guide as guidance.

Hope this helps.  TMI, huh?  TL/DR?

V/r
Spam

References:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Cadet_Staff_Handbook__Nov_16__Web_47474DD79B032.pdf

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R_020001I_2_Jan_13_ICL_17_Nov_15_IC_AF3D3687D1D1D.pdf
Note: R20-1(I) will be renumbered soon at some point (provided for members who might search this topic in the future). Use the current version of Organization of CAP, looking specifically at position description authorizations.

saltymeat

Ok that is what i thought, he might have picked the C/SSgt because he has been in cap for 3 years where as my sister and i have been in for about 18 months (me being the C/CMSgt and my sister the C/MSgt.). Thanks for your help.

DSellers

To become a First Sergeant, you must be C/MSgt, C/SMSgt, or C/CMSgt (corrected)

PHall

Quote from: DSellers on February 22, 2019, 08:22:39 PM
To become a First Sergeant, you must be C/MSgt or above

You did read the second post of this thread, right?

The Chief of the Mountains

No only the grades of C/MSgt through C/CMSgt can hold the position of first sergeant.
C/CMSgt
Safety NCO

BraveRifles19D

Perhaps the 3+ year cadet staff sergeant can start advancing his education and training rapidly so he can be of service to his community, state, and nation...and his squadron.

CFToaster

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on February 22, 2019, 09:38:11 PM
Perhaps the 3+ year cadet staff sergeant can start advancing his education and training rapidly so he can be of service to his community, state, and nation...and his squadron.

What you did there. I see it.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on February 22, 2019, 09:38:11 PM

...and him self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

lordmonar

Quote from: saltymeat on February 22, 2019, 07:14:07 PM
Ok that is what i thought, he might have picked the C/SSgt because he has been in cap for 3 years where as my sister and i have been in for about 18 months (me being the C/CMSgt and my sister the C/MSgt.). Thanks for your help.
He may have appointed him because as a fast burner you may soon be a C/2d Lt and be ready for other positions.  And the C/SSgt may be able to hold the job for a longer period of time.   Just a thought.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The Chief of the Mountains

No the first sergeant was only out for one night. Pretty sure he was just a one night first sergeant.
C/CMSgt
Safety NCO

lordmonar

Quote from: The Chief of the Mountains on February 24, 2019, 10:29:40 PM
No the first sergeant was only out for one night. Pretty sure he was just a one night first sergeant.

Well in that case....it may be any number of reasons.

Bottom line.....is yes with in the scope of the weekly meeting the cadet commander can appoint anyone he/she feels can do the job.

To the OP......if you got concerns you should take them up with your chain of command.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP