After Action Report

Started by Capmonkey, July 13, 2018, 01:46:06 PM

Capmonkey

Hey, guys!
     I'm applying for a Winter Encampment, and one of the questions/requirements is to write an after action report of your last Encampment. My only problem is I've never had to do one before. I know it's included in the new SDA program, but would y'all mind giving me some tips as to what works best, or a certain format it needs to be in? Thanks!

Sincerely,
C/Maj Capmonkey

TheSkyHornet

Well, for starters, the intent of the AAR is to identify strengths to sustain and weaknesses to improve on---to make things more effective for next time.

Avoid discussing any individual person's successes or failures. You're looking at things from a comprehensive overview. And it's not a lecture as to what went wrong, but a "Lessons Learned" discussion. You should get feedback from subordinate staff and include their views in the report. This gives you more opinions than just your own, and helps to show the different perspectives and viewpoints from throughout the operation, not just the top-down observation.

Compare the concept (plan) for the operation against the actual course of events to see where the deviations from the original plan were, why they played out, and their effectiveness or ineffectiveness.