Commercial Checkrides - Complex Planes - CAP Future

Started by etodd, April 27, 2018, 03:34:21 AM

etodd

So this week its official that the FAA will not require a complex demonstration to the DPE for a Commercial Practical Test.  :clap:

However the10 hours of Complex training is still required .. for now.  But still, not having to use a Complex for the check ride is a big deal and money saver.

Step 2: As early as this summer, its expected that the FAA will take the next step and allow 10 hours of TAA (Technically Advanced Airplane) training to replace the 10 hours of Complex.  In case you don't know, any CAP plane with a G1000 is a TAA.

Now THIS would be a huge savings, not having to go find a separate complex plane to get those 10 hours. Could be $3-4k or more!

Bottom line, is that when this passes, a Cadet could get his PPL , build a few hours then comeback as a SM and start IFR training with a G1000 C-172, continue to get his Commercial and even his CFI .. all in the C-172 G1000. One plane does it all!

One of my holdups in getting my Commercial has been the Complex plane issue. Nothing to rent in my town, and so expensive to go elsewhere. Once the TAA issue is in place, all solved! I already have over 150 hours in the Squadron's C-172 G1000.

CAP marketing department needs to be all over this.  This could be huge for CAP ... provided we have enough willing instructors .. our planes could be kept very busy .
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

And the biggest problem was pointed out in your last sentence. "Provided we have enough willing instructors."
Those are very few and very far between in CAP.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on April 27, 2018, 04:11:38 PM
And the biggest problem was pointed out in your last sentence. "Provided we have enough willing instructors."
Those are very few and very far between in CAP.

True, but this whole deal has me excited, because the expense/trouble in finding the Complex has been hindrance to me getting my Commercial and then CFI. This has rejuvenated and inspired me to keep plugging away now. I'm not looking to go professional, as in airlines or corporate. At this point in my life I'm ready to start "giving back" and would enjoy being a CFI for CAP Cadets primary training, in C-172s.

Maybe, just maybe ... there are others out there like me. One can hope.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Briank

Quote from: etodd on April 27, 2018, 04:26:09 PM
True, but this whole deal has me excited, because the expense/trouble in finding the Complex has been hindrance to me getting my Commercial and then CFI. This has rejuvenated and inspired me to keep plugging away now. I'm not looking to go professional, as in airlines or corporate. At this point in my life I'm ready to start "giving back" and would enjoy being a CFI for CAP Cadets primary training, in C-172s.

Maybe, just maybe ... there are others out there like me. One can hope.

Exactly the same here.  I did initial Commercial training that I could in a fixed gear, but then stopped as complex airplanes are so hard to come by.  Always wanted to go CFI, but the Commercial Complex requirement was a big hindrance.  A couple years back I actually had started towards doing the LSA CFI thing (Commercial not required for that), but then the local FBO got rid of their LSAs and sank that plan too...

mdickinson

Quote from: etodd on April 27, 2018, 03:34:21 AM
when this passes, a Cadet could get his PPL , build a few hours then comeback as a SM and start IFR training with a G1000 C-172, continue to get his Commercial and even his CFI .. all in the C-172 G1000.

The rule change means that CAP pilots can now use CAP fixed gear airplanes (not just the G-1000 C-172) for their commercial and CFI checkrides, effective immediately. Agree with the OP that the anticipated future change (removing the requirement for 10 hours of complex time) will reduce the expense of earning the commercial certificate.

Two comments about "when this passes, a Cadet could get his PPL , build a few hours then comeback as a SM and start IFR training"

- After earning his private certificate, a cadet does not need to "build a few hours" before training for the instrument rating. A newly minted private pilot can immediately start working on the instrument rating. (In fact, a student pilot does not need to wait until his checkride to do his instrument training. See anecdote below)

- Likewise, a cadet does not need to "come back as an SM" to start his instrument training or work on the commercial certificate. Cadets can already do training for the instrument rating and the commercial certificate in CAP aircraft.

A few years back I gave primary instruction to a cadet in the local CAP C-172, starting a few months before his 16th birthday. He took his private checkride in the CAP plane at age 17. The following year he qualified as a Mission Observer and did instrument training with me in the CAP G1000 C-182. (He went on to become a CFII at age 22, a CAP check pilot at age 23, and now, 1500 hours later, he flies for a regional airline.)

Anecdote: I know of at least one pilot who completed all the training for the instrument rating before he turned 17, and was thus able to take the instrument rating checkride immediately after passing his private checkride. This is a rare case, admittedly (his father, a CFII, owned an airplane) but it would certainly be possible for a CAP cadet who starts working on his private at age 15 1/2.