CAP accepting non-US citizens

Started by RiverAux, June 26, 2007, 09:42:11 PM

gallagheria

Quote from: M.S. on June 27, 2007, 03:24:38 AMAre you seriously that narrow-minded?  Take a look at the other posts here and see how plenty of non-US citizens have served CAP well.  I sometimes wonder if people from other countries think we really are this arrogant and egotistical.
Look in the mirror and don't be narrow-minded about narrow-mindedness. Everyone has the right to an opinion.

Yes foreign citizens are allowed in the Armed Forces but their jobs are restricted. So an open-debate about membership in CAP needs to remain open.

jason.pennington

I run a school unit in California.  There are a lot of students that would love to become cadets, but can not due to immigration issues.  I wish they could learn the same leadership skills and patriotism that our citizen scadets get to.

And of course it would help my squadron membership!

RogueLeader

So give them responsibility in the classroom.  Get some of the "quicker learners" to teach it to some of the "slower learners" 

NOTE: This is not intended as a flame against those whom have trouble learning.  It is a fact that there are some that pick up the information faster than others.

For example, in History; I pick up the information very quickly, and can remember all kinds of information, but in Algebra, I am one of the slower ones.  I could be a leader in one but not the other.  Plus, there are many other challenges to discuss.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Tubacap

That's an interesting side affect of the larger immigration issue.  I wonder what NHQ would actually do if you forwarded their application.  Have you tried any yet?

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Major Lord

Quote from: Tubacap on July 23, 2007, 09:39:42 PM
That's an interesting side affect of the larger immigration issue.  I wonder what NHQ would actually do if you forwarded their application.  Have you tried any yet?

They would be treated exactly the same...they would deposit their checks and lose their applications....

Capt.  Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SarDragon

Quote from: CaptLord on July 23, 2007, 10:28:53 PM
Quote from: Tubacap on July 23, 2007, 09:39:42 PM

They would be treated exactly the same...they would deposit their checks and lose their applications....

Capt.  Lord

Actually, they would probably return the check, too. I have never had an application returned without the check that went in with it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

As long as they are in the country legally, as with Non-Citizens being in the military, it should be allowed.  If they are here legally, but still need to clear some things up before they join, then they wait.  Nobody owes them anything regardless of how slow the system is.  If your illegal, just be happy your not in jail. 

I would like to see any Senior Member booted who knowingly tried to send applications of illegals though to make a political statement or to just see if they could do it.  Or system rely's on people doing the right thing, and we dont need members doing their own quality control tests.  Our system and our members are burdened enough as it is.

It should be noted though, that if your a non-citizen in the military, you can't be a commissioned officer and you can't hold a security cleareance and there are MOS's you can't serve in.

Hawk200

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 25, 2007, 06:49:29 PM
It should be noted though, that if your a non-citizen in the military, you can't be a commissioned officer and you can't hold a security cleareance and there are MOS's you can't serve in.

There are also certain assignments that are restricted, too.

Dragoon

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on July 25, 2007, 06:49:29 PM

There are also certain assignments that are restricted, too.

Happily, you don't need a commission, a clearance, nor one of these special MOS's or assignments to be a productive member of the Civil Air Patrol.

If you did, we'd need to fire most of our members......

Cecil DP

When I was the DP for MAWG we had a number of foreign students attending MIT, Harvard, BU, and several other local universities who were allowed to join. It's simply a matter of submitting the application through channels with a letter requesting a waiver. None had green cards only student visa's-Only took about a week longer to process, because of having to get the Region Commander's approval. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85