CAP accepting non-US citizens

Started by RiverAux, June 26, 2007, 09:42:11 PM

RiverAux

According to an article on CAP News Online, a Luxenborg citzen (Luxenburger?) was recently accepted into one of the overseas CAP units.  Apparently he is the first non-citizen that has ever been allowed to join.  He eventually got a waiver from the citizenship requirement because DoD lets non-citizens join the military.

Should CAP change its regulations to specifically remove the citizenship requirement or make it a requirement that can be waived depending on the circumstances? 

RogueLeader

My opinion is "No".  Under no circumstances should a non-citizen be allowed to join- unless that person served the US military and was Honorable Discharge.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Westernslope

Unless things have changed in the last few years, I don't think there is a reg that prohibits non-US citizens from joining CAP.

There was an article in the first issue of the Volunteer magazine about a West German Colonel, who had his Gil Robb Wilson Award before he had his American Citizenship.

RiverAux

CAPR 39-2
Cadet requirements:
QuoteCitizenship. Be a citizen of the United States of America or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence to the United States of America and its territories and possessions or any lawfully admitted non-citizen residing in the United States specifically approved by the National Commander's designee (NHQ CAP/LMM).
1) Those persons in "admitted for permanent residence" status must possess and present a current Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151 or I-551) when making application for CAP membership. If an alien's status changes from "admitted for permanent residence" other then by reason of acquiring citizenship, the alien is no longer eligible for membership.
2) Requests for waiver of citizenship criteria for lawfully admitted non-citizens residing in the United States who were not admitted for permanent residence will be submitted through the wing and region commander along with a copy of the membership application to Membership Services (NHQ CAP/LMM). The waiver, if approved, will be only for the period of residence within the United States.
f. Good moral character.
g. If a former member of CAP, must not have been terminated for misconduct.
h. Be accepted by the unit and higher headquarters.

Seniors:
QuoteCitizenship. Be a citizen of the United States of America or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence to the United States of America and its territories and possessions or any lawfully admitted non-citizen residing in the United States specifically approved by the National Commander's designee (NHQ CAP/LMM).
1) Those persons in "admitted for permanent residence" status must possess and present a current Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151 or I-551) when making application for CAP membership. If an alien's status changes from "admitted for permanent residence" other then by reason of acquiring citizenship, the alien is no longer eligible for membership.
2) Requests for waiver of the citizenship criteria for lawfully admitted non-citizens residing in the United States who were not admitted for permanent residence will be submitted through the wing and region commander along with a copy of the membership application to NHQ CAP/LMM. The waiver, if approved, will be only for the period of residence within the United States.

JohnKachenmeister

Whoever wrote that article was drunk.  I had an Australian in a squadron I commanded.  He was a legal alien, and that's all CAP required.
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

Since this guy wasn't even in the US, I think that is where the problem was since he wasn't "lawfully admitted"

JohnKachenmeister

I once flew out on a Saturday and got a $100 Luxumburger at a little airport grill.
Another former CAP officer

ddelaney103

Great - another PAO on crack.

I personally pushed the paperwork to have a former ATC Brit waiver-ed in as a CAP SM.  Unfortunately, due to a college scholarship to the U of Liverpool dropping in his lap we didn't have him for long.  I sent his FO epaulets to him so he could be promoted there.

Maybe they meant the first non-citizen in an overseas sqdn.

Larry Mangum

In Washington, we have had an Austrian join, several Canadians, and a Frenchman.  All except 1 eventually became citizens, and all ahve been valued members of the wing.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

SarDragon

I processed a Canadian citizen with a green card into my unit a couple of years ago, and it wasn't any harder that any other application. Form 12, fingerprints, a copy of his green card, the check, and we're all set. It took just a little longer to process (still less than a month) and it went smoothly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Way back when, I had a British kid join as a cadet.  (His parents were executives in one of our local international textile companies.)  I got the biggest charge out hearing his father introduce me as "Leftenant Bagley."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

BillB

Shortly after World War II, a man came to Pinellas Senior Squadron in Florida, and was interested in joining CAP. He was a legal alien admitted to the United States and was working for a startup airline. He said the problem may be that he wasn't a U.S. Citizen yet. He turned in an application, and the paperwork showing he was in the U.S. leaglly, and National accepted his application and issued a CAP ID card. After he was in for six months he asked if he wear foreign military decorations on the CAP uniform. He was told to see the USAF-CAP Liaison Officer to get the answer. So he traveled to Wing Headquarters and talked to the LO who called National and was told he could wear them on the CAP uniform. The next meeting night he showed up with his Luftwaffe pilot wings and a big grin. Several weeks later, the Squadron went to MacDill AFB for a meeting and at the Officers club he gathered a crowd. It turened out there was a USAF pilot that may have shot down the CAP member who was flying a JU-52 over Germany. The bull session lasted long into the night.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SeattleSarge

Quote from: wawgcap on June 26, 2007, 10:26:57 PM
In Washington, we have had an Austrian join, several Canadians, and a Frenchman.  All except 1 eventually became citizens, and all ahve been valued members of the wing.

In the Seattle Composite Squadron, (LtCol. Mangum apparently forgot about us) we have several non-citizens.  India, Great Britain, Australia, Russia, and Ukraine are all represented.

I believe our diversity is one of our strengths.

-Seattle Sarge

Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

jimmydeanno

It's pretty simple to figure out why we have the provisions we do.

Abdula Ima terrorist, non-citizen, unlawfully enters country, joins CAP and presto...has access to military installations.  Those that have entered the country lawfully will have had some sort of 'record' created on them.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

freeflight

I remember that ten years ago we had a family from Holland in our squadron.

M.S.

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 26, 2007, 09:46:05 PM
My opinion is "No".  Under no circumstances should a non-citizen be allowed to join- unless that person served the US military and was Honorable Discharge.

Are you seriously that narrow-minded?  Take a look at the other posts here and see how plenty of non-US citizens have served CAP well.  I sometimes wonder if people from other countries think we really are this arrogant and egotistical.

Larry Mangum

Seattle Sarg , is correct it is our diversity which strengthen us.  We should be careful about who we take, and screen our applicants, but not close our doors to people who were not lucky enough to be born here.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

RogueLeader

Quote from: M.S. on June 27, 2007, 03:24:38 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on June 26, 2007, 09:46:05 PM

Are you seriously that narrow-minded?  Take a look at the other posts here and see how plenty of non-US citizens have served CAP well.  I sometimes wonder if people from other countries think we really are this arrogant and egotistical.

To be blunt- Yes I am.  When we have to go out of our way- as a culture- to accommodate ourselves to their culture so we don't offend them: that is where I draw the line.  You go to any other country- you speak their language, you follow those customs.  Only here, in the US, it is ok that we have to make it easier for those that move here.  I'm tired of bowing to other cultures.  If I went to Germany or Japan, I would expect to know some German or Japanese to get around.  Here, if they only speak Spanish or Korean, we have to be accommodating to them.  I understand that this is America- the "melting pot" of cultures.  I really do.  I'm glad that they have their cultures, but don't take mine.  If a foreign national wants to join, good, but you have to earn it.  Our forefathers bled and died for our freedoms, they gave us our rights with their blood, and I give my time and talents for the future of our country.  They want to participate, they should have to shed something for the right to wear the uniform of the USAF Aux- whether it is full time or not.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

By the way, I do not have anything against those who come here legally, or become American Citizens.  I am glad for those who do, and I wish for many more.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

RogueLeader,

If you want to be that way...I don't think anyone can join unless they have served in the military and honorably discharged.

I'm tired of accommodating non-ex-military types! >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP