Main Menu

CAP Portal? / My.CAP.gov

Started by Pylon, January 24, 2007, 03:21:52 AM

jimmydeanno

Maybe they could migrate to "Sharepoint."

JUST KIDDING!  >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 21, 2007, 06:12:16 PM
I'm working on trying to get phpgroupware ( www.phpgroupware.org ) working on our website, but Godaddy doesn't offer complete mysql permissions...just heard from our wing web guru that I can host on the wing website which does.....we'll see

Great.  It is great to see an effort to use these kind of systems at the local level.  As someone who used Godaddy a lot, I could recommend using Dreamhost instead. 

Lancer

Quote from: JC004 on August 21, 2007, 06:17:53 PM
As someone who used Godaddy a lot, I could recommend using Dreamhost instead. 

Agreed. My current host. Awesome features, admin control panel, and you can't beat the price.  ;)

floridacyclist

I have thought about that the next time we have to renew...which is like next year. What other reasons beside full access to the mysql database can you think of? Do you know if we can even get lock access to the database there on a Linux account?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

JC004

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 21, 2007, 08:12:06 PM
I have thought about that the next time we have to renew...which is like next year. What other reasons beside full access to the mysql database can you think of? Do you know if we can even get lock access to the database there on a Linux account?

If you're going to host basic HTML/CSS/etc., they're fine.  But I've found they can be inflexible when I want to install various stuff and their pre-installed apps suck.  I've had more trouble installing stuff on their hosting than any other hosting I use or have used.   :(

floridacyclist

Ours is fairly basic....mostly SSI files and some PHP pages. We use about 4 mysql databases, but that would even be cut back once we got groupware working.

www.tallahasseecap.org
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

JC004

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 21, 2007, 10:41:16 PM
Ours is fairly basic....mostly SSI files and some PHP pages. We use about 4 mysql databases, but that would even be cut back once we got groupware working.

www.tallahasseecap.org

It is great that some units are taking web sites seriously.  My philosophy is that it's a way to:
- Lower the burdens on staff by offering commonly needed information in a central location
- Educate your members
- Save time in administration
- Get new members off to a good start
- To provide timely, useful information to members of the community, media, and CAP/the unit
- Increase CAP's exposure
- Provide 24-hour access to information
- Kill off CAP "myths and legends"

Is anyone using resource scheduling (other than the commercial aircraft scheduling) for your unit, group, or wing?  One thing that I have been wanting to develop is a resource scheduling system for radios and that sort of equipment.  I am looking at some open source PHP software that could hopefully do the job.  I want to integrate it into my empire, which includes my e-Learning system.