Objection, Your Honor!

Started by ColonelJack, June 11, 2007, 11:40:20 AM

Dragoon

Hmmm...let's think this one through.

"Competent Military Authority"

If that's all the guidance we had, then as long as you aren't incompetent, and you're "military" (which I guess means you wear a uniform and know how to salute" and you're an "authority", then you can award ribbons to CAP members.

So.....the commandant of some 8th grade military academy could issue you a "perfect attendance ribbon" that you can now wear for the rest of your CAP life!

Obviously, this ain't the intent.  So let's look at the entire paragraph in 39-1 for some clues.

QuoteMilitary service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform
provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority. Awards of the Air Force,
Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding
service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence./

It's not too much of a stretch to assume second sentence is related to the first one.

So when they say "military service" they probably mean "U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard."

And when they say "Competent military authority" they probably mean "an authority in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard who, according to that organization's rules, has the authority to issue the award."

Based on that minor leap of logic, sounds like state awards don't quite make the cut.  This would limit things to awards spelled out in the regulations of those services, awarded in accordance with those regs.

Better wording would definitely help clear this up.  Plus the issue of what to do when a State gives a military-style award to CAP members for their service.  From a Wing to State relationship angle, it wouldn't be polite not to wear the thing.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

ddelaney103

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 02, 2007, 05:25:06 PM
Quote from: ddelaney103 on July 02, 2007, 12:04:10 PM
However, dig far enough into "competent military authority" and I think you'll find a Title 10 requirement somewhere.

So you're telling me that a National Guard officer isn't competent military authority? And you talk about "barracks lawyering"?

For federal purposes?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  Depends on what authority he/she is operating under.

It is possible to be a state officer without having federal power.  For example, a MDNG NCO on state active duty orders would be expected to carry out the orders of an officer of the MD Defense Force.

It is entirely possible for a state officer, even the TAG, to not have federal authority.  Remember, the gov can appoint anyone they want and in some states it's an elected position.

Our previous TAG was a LTG (MD) and MG (US), IIRC.

Hawk200

Quote from: Dragoon on July 02, 2007, 05:55:41 PM
Hmmm...let's think this one through.

"Competent Military Authority"

If that's all the guidance we had, then as long as you aren't incompetent, and you're "military" (which I guess means you wear a uniform and know how to salute" and you're an "authority", then you can award ribbons to CAP members.

So.....the commandant of some 8th grade military academy could issue you a "perfect attendance ribbon" that you can now wear for the rest of your CAP life!

Obviously, this ain't the intent.  So let's look at the entire paragraph in 39-1 for some clues.

Obviously, it's not. And the hypothetical you propose is actually rather ridiculous.

QuoteMilitary service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform
provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority. Awards of the Air Force,
Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding
service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence./

It's not too much of a stretch to assume second sentence is related to the first one.

So when they say "military service" they probably mean "U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard."
And when they say "Competent military authority" they probably mean "an authority in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard who, according to that organization's rules, has the authority to issue the award."

Based on that minor leap of logic, sounds like state awards don't quite make the cut.  This would limit things to awards spelled out in the regulations of those services, awarded in accordance with those regs.

So the Army National Guard is not a military service? I might draw that impression from your statement. The officer that awarded me the single state dec I have was a commissioned officer in the Army National Guard. By your reasoning, he didn't have the authority. He also awarded a Federal medal, about 20 seconds after he signed my state decoration. Did he not have the authority to do that as well?

Or is there a viewpoint that only the Active component is true military service? I'm sure that most of the Guard and Reservists deployed around the world would have some issues with that.

MIKE

Since we aren't talking about why we object to the TPU anymore.  Lock.

I assume my part of the blame for this topic drift.
Mike Johnston