Color Guard

Started by BTCS1 C/CC, June 30, 2009, 03:56:24 PM

BTCS1 C/CC

Write about your color guard expierences or any questions about color guard or regulations
C/TSgt W

BTCS1*

There are no "color guard regs" just the D and C manual and the honor guard manual. SIR!
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Eclipse

Why do you guys have the same user ID?

As to the regs, there are rules for NCC - see CAPM 52-4. 

While these are rules for competition, your best bet is to review them and do what they say for any parts that touch what you will be doing for issues of standardization and on the off chance you ever do compete, you don't have to relearn everything.

"That Others May Zoom"

notaNCO forever

When I was on color guard we had a rules of engagement manual (ROE).

SarDragon

Quote from: notaNCO forever on June 30, 2009, 04:26:19 PM
When I was on color guard we had a rules of engagement manual (ROE).

The ROE manual is now CAPM 52-4.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airrace

What is the correct uniform for the Color Guard? I have seen some cadets in class A jackets and others in just the blue Air Force dress uniform less the jacket. Do they wear the white cord? What about a tie?

Eclipse

In regards to competition, see Page 11 of CAPM 52-4.

For raising or posting colors at local activities, its whatever the local commander and/or weather dictates.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Airrace on June 30, 2009, 09:13:21 PMWhat is the correct uniform for the Color Guard?

Whatever the project officer says it is. It can vary from event to event.

QuoteI have seen some cadets in class A jackets and others in just the blue Air Force dress uniform less the jacket.

There's no such CAP uniform as Class A. That is an ancient, long outmoded term.

QuoteDo they wear the white cord?

Usually.

QuoteWhat about a tie?

Depends on the uniform, and the event.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 30, 2009, 09:32:08 PM

Usually.

White cords are only supposed to be worn by NCC teams, not your friendly neighborhood unit flag posters.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1
...The wing/region commander has authority to approve the following items for wear within his wing: (a) Shoulder cords. Not more than one shoulder cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (see Figure 5-2. Color to be determined by the wing commander, EXCEPT all primary members of Cadet Advisory Councils will wear gold at the National level, blue at region level and red at wing level. (See CAPR 52-16, CAP Cadet Program Management.) National Cadet Competition teams will wear white shoulder cords...

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2009, 09:47:14 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 30, 2009, 09:32:08 PM

Usually.

White cords are only supposed to be worn by NCC teams, not your friendly neighborhood unit flag posters.
Is there anything that says it can't be worn by a local Color Guard? I know FLWG has a different cord that unit CGs are supposed to wear, but that's a wing policy...

Eclipse

FWIW, my interpretation would be that a Wing CC has the authority to approve wear of any cord color except the below, since they are already designated in 39-1.

White - NCC Teams
Silver - Honor Guard
Green - Group CAC
Red - Wing CAC
Gold - NCAC

Other than that I'd think they can authorize anything they want for wear within the respective state.

IMHO, since the white cord is reserved for an NCC team, if the group of cadets aren't on a coherent competition team, they should not wear a white cord.

"That Others May Zoom"

BTCS1*

i thought the white cord was for any CG? at least thats what the uniform man. says... :-\

lordmonar

Your local color guard team can be considered an NCC team.   They are the local entry.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BTCS1*

BillB

Actually it doesn't. If your team won Wing comp. it does, but the question has always come up since 39-1 and 52-16 don't define what a NCC team is. Most Wing appear to allow the white cord to the winners of the Wing Comp as a minimum.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 30, 2009, 09:57:26 PM
i thought the white cord was for any CG? at least thats what the uniform man. says...

What the uniform manual says is quoted (in bold) above - RIF.

Quote from: lordmonar on June 30, 2009, 09:59:40 PM
Your local color guard team can be considered an NCC team.   They are the local entry.

If they are competing and training as a team, yes.  My wing doesn't currently have any NCC plans or involvement, so no one in my units is supposed to be wearing a white cord.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: BillB on June 30, 2009, 10:06:14 PM
Actually it doesn't. If your team won Wing comp. it does, but the question has always come up since 39-1 and 52-16 don't define what a NCC team is. Most Wing appear to allow the white cord to the winners of the Wing Comp as a minimum.

Not true, considering that the cord is part of the NCC uniform requirements.  Any team showing up for inspection is supposed to have the cords on.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BTCS1*

and 39-1 says that CG members can wear the cord. it doesn't state NCC teams.

Eclipse

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 30, 2009, 10:47:28 PM
and 39-1 says that CG members can wear the cord. it doesn't state NCC teams.

Cite, please.  The relevant text is above.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

This is one of those items that can be read/interpreted more than one way.

As I read this quote,

Color to be determined by the wing commander, EXCEPT all primary members of Cadet Advisory Councils will wear gold at the National level, blue at region level and red at wing level. (See CAPR 52-16, CAP Cadet Program Management.) National Cadet Competition teams will wear white shoulder cords.

the bold text imposes a limitation on the wear of gold, blue, and red cords. The underlined text imposes a requirement for wear of the white cord by NCC teams. Therefore, the Wing CC may prescribe the white cord for color guards.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Bluelakes 13

So, if my unit's Color Guard has aspirations of competing at Wing, Region, and National, they may wear the cords. 

If they are "your friendly neighborhood unit flag posters" not interested in competing, they may not?

Weird...

SarDragon

Check out the latest CAPR 52-16. There's a change 1 as of 1 July 09.

Specifically:

Quote4-5. National Cadet Competition. The National Cadet Competition (NCC) enables cadets to model traits of the highest standards of leadership and personal responsibility.

a. Competition Programs. The NCC includes the National Drill Team Competition and the National Color Guard Competition, which are usually held during the summer. For more information, visit the NCC page at www.cap.gov/ncc.

b. Awards. Cadet members of drill teams and color guards are authorized to wear a white shoulder cord. The cord must be of the same style and shade as the white cord stocked for CAP by Vanguard Industries (civilairpatrolstore.com). Senior members will not wear NCC shoulder cords.

4-6. Honor Guards. Unit honor guard programs are opportunities for cadets to serve their communities and promote a drug-free ethic through excellence in drill and ceremonies.

a. Program Leadership. Commanders may assign the cadet leadership officer the responsibility of selecting and training the guard. Squadrons may train in one or more elements of an honor guard. For guidance, see CAPP 52-8, Unit Honor Guard Program.

b. Awards. Cadet members of honor guards are authorized to wear a silver shoulder cord. The cord must be of the same style and shade as the silver cord stocked for CAP by Vanguard Industries (civilairpatrolstore.com). Senior members will not wear honor guard shoulder cords.

Changes shown in italics.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DBlair

While on the topic of shoulder cords... Are they supposed to be worn hooked on the epaulet button or left to fall to the shoulder seam?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

SarDragon

They are pinned from underneath at the shoulder seam.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

notaNCO forever

Quote from: DBlair on July 09, 2009, 07:07:43 AM
While on the topic of shoulder cords... Are they supposed to be worn hooked on the epaulet button or left to fall to the shoulder seam?

It used to be that way then they changed. They were supposed to redesign the shoulder cords for easier wear not buttoned, at least that's what I was told, but that never happened. 

DC

Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 09, 2009, 12:20:33 PM

It used to be that way then they changed. They were supposed to redesign the shoulder cords for easier wear not buttoned, at least that's what I was told, but that never happened.
Almost all of the cords I have seen in the last few years are fully braided across the top and feature a safety pin on the bottom to make wearing them at the shoulder seam easier.

DBlair: That's one of the few things 39-1 is still current on, Page 90, Figure 5-2.

W5SMP

I recently was in the BWI Airport and came across a group of adults and cadets on their way to the CAP National Honor Guard Academy. They were a sharp bunch (the youth were in uniform) and reflect well on the CAP. My congratulations to all associated with the program.
Maj. Steven Polunsky, CAP (Honorary)
Austin, Texas

Legislative Squadron, Texas Wing
SWR-TX-999

BTCS1 C/CC

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 30, 2009, 04:07:59 PM
There are no "color guard regs" just the D and C manual and the honor guard manual. SIR!

CADET FYI reg=rules i dont care where they are written
C/TSgt W

DC

Quote from: BTCS1 C/CC on September 08, 2009, 02:29:52 AM
Quote from: BTCS1* on June 30, 2009, 04:07:59 PM

CADET FYI reg=rules i dont care where they are written
Umm, wow.

BTCS1 C/CC

as far as i know white cord is for local too
C/TSgt W

BTCS1 C/CC

Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 09, 2009, 12:20:33 PM

Yeah its changed for some reason and now u just let it hand off to the left side of epualette
C/TSgt W

BTCS1 C/CC

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on July 01, 2009, 09:04:48 PM
So, if my unit's Color Guard has aspirations of competing at Wing, Region, and National, they may wear the cords. 

If they are "your friendly neighborhood unit flag posters" not interested in competing, they may not?

Weird...

i think u still can as long as ur color guard. But check regs too
C/TSgt W

DC

Quote from: BTCS1 C/CC on September 08, 2009, 04:39:34 AM
Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on July 01, 2009, 09:04:48 PM

Weird...

i think u still can as long as ur color guard. But check regs too
You can make multiple quotes within one post, there is no need to make three consecutive posts to respond to different people.

Also, you do realize that this thread has been effectively dead for over a month, right?

Eclipse

Quote from: BTCS1 C/CC on September 08, 2009, 04:37:40 AM
as far as i know white cord is for local too

You are incorrect, read the quote above, which is part of a reference to competition teams.

There seems to be a rash of ressurection today, and for little reason other than a lot of "me too's"...

"That Others May Zoom"

coolkites

could someone please link the rules of engagement (ROE) thank you.

DC

Quote from: coolkites on September 10, 2009, 11:53:44 PM
could someone please link the rules of engagement (ROE) thank you.
You might try looking here...

C/MSgt Lunsford

I just started in Colour Guard and it went well for my first meeting. Now that we are starting a Drill team, it should be pretty interesting...  ;)

Wright Brothers #13915