Need clarification on what counts as volunteer hours

Started by xray328, June 04, 2016, 01:50:31 PM

Alaric

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 10, 2016, 06:43:03 PM
Quote from: Alaric on June 10, 2016, 06:41:02 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 10, 2016, 06:38:12 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 10, 2016, 06:08:43 PM
Whether we agree with it or not, the intent of the CAP Community Service Ribbon is encourage and recognize community service outside of CAP. That's why community service within CAP doesn't qualify for the ribbon.

I would consider helping the community as a unit as being community service outside of CAP. I get that the reg forbids this, but the question is why? Volunteering is volunteering, and there's only so much time someone can give.

I believe that the intention is to award those who, in their time away from CAP they give back to their communities.  Most of the community service awards I have processed have been for (Coaching sports (little league, Pee Wees, etc), youth pastoring (volunteer), peer counseling, Red Cross, tutoring, and working in animal shelters)

Right, because that's what is allowed. But is it any different if the local town has a "city park clean up day", and the unit decides to support the cause as a unit (and get visibility), vs everyone showing up as "individuals"?

Yes, in addition to the liability that CAP takes on, coming out as a unit to serve the community is basically an advertisement and recruiting effort for the organization

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Alaric on June 13, 2016, 11:30:49 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 10, 2016, 06:43:03 PM
Quote from: Alaric on June 10, 2016, 06:41:02 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 10, 2016, 06:38:12 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 10, 2016, 06:08:43 PM
Whether we agree with it or not, the intent of the CAP Community Service Ribbon is encourage and recognize community service outside of CAP. That's why community service within CAP doesn't qualify for the ribbon.

I would consider helping the community as a unit as being community service outside of CAP. I get that the reg forbids this, but the question is why? Volunteering is volunteering, and there's only so much time someone can give.

I believe that the intention is to award those who, in their time away from CAP they give back to their communities.  Most of the community service awards I have processed have been for (Coaching sports (little league, Pee Wees, etc), youth pastoring (volunteer), peer counseling, Red Cross, tutoring, and working in animal shelters)

Right, because that's what is allowed. But is it any different if the local town has a "city park clean up day", and the unit decides to support the cause as a unit (and get visibility), vs everyone showing up as "individuals"?

Yes, in addition to the liability that CAP takes on, coming out as a unit to serve the community is basically an advertisement and recruiting effort for the organization

I really don't see what's wrong with that. The Rotary club has their donated benches.

THRAWN

This is why I hate this "award": Whether we agree with it or not, the intent of the CAP Community Service Ribbon is encourage and recognize community service outside of CAP.

CAP awards for CAP activities. If the Lions, or Rotary or Boy Scouts want to give you an award for doing stuff with them. That doesn't belong on a CAP uniform.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Alaric

Quote from: THRAWN on June 13, 2016, 03:11:55 PM
This is why I hate this "award": Whether we agree with it or not, the intent of the CAP Community Service Ribbon is encourage and recognize community service outside of CAP.

CAP awards for CAP activities. If the Lions, or Rotary or Boy Scouts want to give you an award for doing stuff with them. That doesn't belong on a CAP uniform.

Military does the same thing, though the military does humanitarian missions as the military, they also award their members a ribbon for doing volunteer work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Outstanding_Volunteer_Service_Medal

THRAWN

Quote from: Alaric on June 13, 2016, 03:20:21 PM

Military does the same thing, though the military does humanitarian missions as the military, they also award their members a ribbon for doing volunteer work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Outstanding_Volunteer_Service_Medal

1. We're not the military.
2. Yeah, the 1000 Points of Light medal. Ugh.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

I'm in the same boat. Why would I encourage people to do "other" when there is plenty to do in CAP? What other organization pushes volunteers to volunteer elsewhere?

stitchmom

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 13, 2016, 03:41:42 PM

I'm in the same boat. Why would I encourage people to do "other" when there is plenty to do in CAP? What other organization pushes volunteers to volunteer elsewhere?

My quilting guild does. They have two ongoing community service projects and then one that changes every year.

Alaric

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 13, 2016, 03:41:42 PM

You're not encouraging them to do "other" you are recognizing that they choose to use their free time to serve their communities.  I don't know about your squadron, but mine only meets once a week, and though I would love to believe that everyone in CAP thinks that CAP is just the best thing in the universe, I recognize that my members have other interests and passions.  I have no issues standing up in front of a meeting and recognizing Cadet Snuffy for serving as a volunteer peer counselor, or SM Jones for coaching youth soccer (as a volunteer).  If you have that much heart burn, put in a regulatory change request through channels, otherwise, deal

Майор Хаткевич

Not my wheel house. I've seen a few members submit the paperwork and get the credit. Outside of that, I don't really care, just curious on the reasoning.