Ranger 3rd Class

Started by TheGooseLover, October 31, 2015, 06:33:12 PM

sarmed1

9/11 happened and I took a little hiatus until about 2005, then kind of fell back into it out of dumb luck.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

THRAWN

Quote from: Caponly101 on November 03, 2015, 06:56:35 PM
I just really wish they'd plan NCSA's around wing encampments, I know they are all at different dates, but just don't do NCSA's in June-July unless you have to (NBB). I graduated encampment this year and plan to go as a Flight Sergeant next year, so I can't go to HMRS.

This is where being a grown up comes into the program. What's your priority? Would being a FS benefit you in the long run? What are your goals? Does going to Hawk help you meet those goals, or does another round of encampment?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

sarmed1

I just really wish they'd plan NCSA's around wing encampments, I know they are all at different dates, but just don't do NCSA's in June-July unless you have to (NBB). I graduated encampment this year and plan to go as a Flight Sergeant next year, so I can't go to HMRS.

Most NCSA's happen at the same time as encampments because thats when the most students are available.  Most NCSA's require a basic encampment, not everyone who goes to encampment will return to a staff positions, and not every encampment has courses other than basic encampment so NCSA's are available as an alternative.  Also, not to sound selfish, but encampments are a local thing (relatively speaking) they could be accomplished over multiple dates on the "B" type plan with minimal travel issues vs NCSA's draw from everywhere and are better accomplished in one week long event.  So maybe its the other way around, encampments need to stop planning around NCSA's

mk

TheGooseLover

Yikes. I'm UDF and MRO qualified, and like, 2 tasks from GTM3. I really want to be into SAR more, after a SAR mission I went on last month, it really opened my eyes. But I really want to be a FS at encampment as well, I'm sure I could make it and I think it would give me a good leadership training opportunity... It's something for me to think about I guess :-\
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

TheGooseLover

Quote from: sarmed1 on November 03, 2015, 07:03:55 PM

Most NCSA's happen at the same time as encampments because thats when the most students are available.  Most NCSA's require a basic encampment, not everyone who goes to encampment will return to a staff positions, and not every encampment has courses other than basic encampment so NCSA's are available as an alternative.  Also, not to sound selfish, but encampments are a local thing (relatively speaking) they could be accomplished over multiple dates on the "B" type plan with minimal travel issues vs NCSA's draw from everywhere and are better accomplished in one week long event.  So maybe its the other way around, encampments need to stop planning around NCSA's

mk

Great Point! I didn't think about that! That makes much more since.
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

sarmed1

Quote from: Caponly101 on November 03, 2015, 07:06:32 PM
Yikes. I'm UDF and MRO qualified, and like, 2 tasks from GTM3. I really want to be into SAR more, after a SAR mission I went on last month, it really opened my eyes. But I really want to be a FS at encampment as well, I'm sure I could make it and I think it would give me a good leadership training opportunity... It's something for me to think about I guess :-\

I would consider looking at LESA in TX wing.  They run a winter school over Xmas break and a summer school, which in the past has been in June (it was cancelled this year for logistics reasons).  That would allow you to pursue ES training locally and potentially not conflict with encampment (and there are occasionally Ranger qualified members participating that may be able to help you with Ranger grade sign off)  The other thing to consider is how likely are you to be selected for a FS position at encampment?  Are you sure you will be an NCO by then, what if you arent?  If you arent realistically sure, you shouldnt put all your eggs in the same basket so to speak.  If they only offer you a logistics position, are you still going to go or would you have rather gone to HMRS?  Personally HMRS (beneath all the ES training) teaches some very valuable cadet lessons:  leadership, followership, teamwork, attention to detail, problem solving to name a few,  dont discount those as balances to the leadership experience of a FS position at encampment.

mk

TheGooseLover

Thank you all. You've opened my eyes a little bit more. Sarmed, do you know where I could find the LESA winter application?
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

TheGooseLover

I just checked, im not old enough to attend LESA this year :-/ oh well. And yes, I'm sure I'll be a NCO by next July, I should be by next week actually, tonight is my drill test, the last thing I need for C/SSgt
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

sarmed1

At 13, as long as you stick with CAP you will have plenty of time to build up ES qualifications and experience, attend schools, staff encampments and go to NCSA's; HMRS or otherwise.

MK

Garibaldi

Wing encampments are really dependent on where it can be held and when. If it's on a military base, the base has to make sure there's sufficient staffing, space, working around deployments, and so on. It's not unusual for a date to change several times before it actually happens, so scheduling around NCSAs is really not feasible.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

TheGooseLover

Also, I've heard if you wait to go to HMRS until you're GTM1 Qualified, you're almost guaranteed Ranger 1st class, would you guys agree or disagree?
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

SarDragon

Patience, padawan.

Life is a journey; enjoy the ride, and don't be in such a hurry to reach the end.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheGooseLover

Quote from: SarDragon on November 04, 2015, 09:28:42 PM
Patience, padawan.

Life is a journey; enjoy the ride, and don't be in such a hurry to reach the end.
thanks you Sir/Ma'am, I tend to get ahead of myself sometimes... It's a bad habit :-/
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

Гугл переводчик

Quote from: Caponly101 on November 04, 2015, 09:42:21 PM
Patience, padawan.

thanks you Sir/Ma'am, I tend to get ahead of myself sometimes... It's a bad habit :-/

You can always turn that into a positive! I used to be the same way as a cadet.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

sarmed1

Quote from: Caponly101 on November 04, 2015, 05:32:24 PM
Also, I've heard if you wait to go to HMRS until you're GTM1 Qualified, you're almost guaranteed Ranger 1st class, would you guys agree or disagree?

I would disagree.  You do for sure decrease the number of tasks you have to complete, but there are still a lot of Ranger specific tasks in there; some of them are advanced Nav oriented, maybe if you were a GTL or GTL (T) I would lean more toward an agree.  I wouldn't maybe make you do all 3 PT tests, and I think fire building is on both R2 and R1....

If it is your first time I would say it would put you more likely to be accepted into the 2nd year school vs a basic school rather than a guarantee to R1.

mk

TheGooseLover

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on November 04, 2015, 11:45:40 PM
Quote from: Caponly101 on November 04, 2015, 09:42:21 PM
Patience, padawan.

You can always turn that into a positive! I used to be the same way as a cadet.
Considering you made it to at least C/Capt, I'll definitely try that' thank you Sir/Ma'am!
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113