POLL: Time in Grade for Cadets

Started by Cadetter, September 24, 2014, 05:56:46 PM

Is the minimum 8 weeks time in grade good for cadets?

Yes. Cadets should be allowed to promote quickly, but not too quickly. 8 weeks TIG is just about right.
Yes. If a cadet is eligible for promotion at 8 weeks, the commander should promote them because they have passed the tests.
Yes. If a cadet is not mature enough for promotion, the commander should retain the cadet in grade and offer feedback per CAPR 52-16.
Yes. There should be some time requirement, so why not 8 weeks?
No. There should be no time in grade requirements; if a cadet has passed the tests and is mature enough, promote them.
No. It gives cadets the mindset that they must promote every 8 weeks.
No. 8 weeks is far too little to show excellence in the "leadership lab."
No. There should be no time in grade requirements; if a cadet has passed the tests they should be promoted.
Yes. (Please explain below.)
No. (Please explain below.)

Cadetter

Have seen the nepotism, spread out, a lot during my limited experience. If an NCO doesn't know left from right - bingo they don't have the ability or experience to be an NCO.

Of course there are flaws with it. As there are with everything.

Maybe, relinquo.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

jeders

Quote from: Cadetter on September 26, 2014, 10:05:13 PM
Of course there are flaws with it. As there are with everything.

And there are many more flaws with what you are advocating than with the system we have now. So why should we adopt your system?

Quote from: Cadetter on September 26, 2014, 09:03:04 PM

Quote from: jeders on September 26, 2014, 08:53:16 PM
Yes I have, have you ever heard of reality? Because that is what you need to be judging things on, not a pie in the sky dream.

Thank you for agreeing that your argument has no foundation.

You've been an adult have you?

So if you know that incompetent cadets are promoted by well-intentioned commanders, and you know that leaders need some real BTDT experience, why are you continuing to advocate for this change?

So if c/A1C Seventeen really is the best, then appoint him to a leadership position; but don't short change him by promoting him beyond his experience or abilities.

-Jed Taylor
Former fast burning test banker

Yes, I have not, no, because I am very stubborn, and precisely what I am saying.

You might try operating their instead of semi-real idealism (read dreaming); actually you did, you just don't realize it; once you are, you'll see why what your advocating is such a bad idea; all the more reason to stop; it really isn't, I'm saying appoint, you're saying fundamentally change the promotion system.

Quote from: Cadetter on September 26, 2014, 09:03:04 PM
The reason I said max of flight sergeant is because that is, in my opinion, the most logical thing in the hypothetical case - obviously having an inexperienced cadet commander is a poor idea, but flight sergeant is an entry-level leadership position.

Flight sergeant is absolutely NOT an entry level leadership position. Perhaps you've not understood your leadership material as well as you think you have. The entry level leadership position is being a follower, an in-flight cadet. You must learn to follow, and that includes waiting a respectable period of time before you advance either in grade or to a position of greater responsibility. From there, you become an assistant element leader, then an element leader, and then a flight sergeant (ideally of course). At each step you must spend time waiting and learning before you are ready to progress.

Now, if you just want to advance people who are capable of an entry level leadership position, then I'm all in favor of it. As soon as the membership app is processed, we'll move you all the way up to in-flight cadet. But from there, you have to spend time learning.

Seriously though, if you want to just be stubborn and waste electrons arguing this out, Eclipse and usafaux will be more than happy to oblige you. If, however, you really believe that this idea is a good one and is in the best interest of CAP and the cadets involved, please spend more time thinking it out. Your own words here have shown that you have not fully thought it out and that it is a solution, and a potentially awful one at that, in search of a problem. I'm not saying this to be mean or disparaging, I say it because part of the purpose of the leadership lab is to teach critical thinking; something that you have shown a great lack of with this proposal.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Cadetter

Quote from: jeders on September 26, 2014, 10:54:32 PM
Seriously though, if you want to just be stubborn and waste electrons arguing this out, Eclipse and usafaux will be more than happy to oblige you. If, however, you really believe that this idea is a good one and is in the best interest of CAP and the cadets involved, please spend more time thinking it out. Your own words here have shown that you have not fully thought it out and that it is a solution, and a potentially awful one at that, in search of a problem. I'm not saying this to be mean or disparaging, I say it because part of the purpose of the leadership lab is to teach critical thinking; something that you have shown a great lack of with this proposal.

Wasting time, actually. I am a critical thinker. I'm hardly proposing that this be changed to what I'm thinking because it is brainstorming. NOT a plan. If this was really a plan, then I would seriously doubt the sanity of holding the position I do. Besides, the idea that I think is better geared is what I posted earlier -

Quote from: Cadetter on September 24, 2014, 09:32:08 PM
1 month in CAP for first stripe
4 months for Curry-Arnold, and Arnold-Feik
Wright Brothers any time after that
3 months for Wright Brothers-TSgt, TSgt-MSgt, MSgt-SMSgt, SMSgt-Goddard
2 months for Goddard-Armstrong
Mitchell any time after that
2 months for 2dLt-2dLt
1stLt any time after that
2 months 1stLt-1stLt
Earhart any time after that
1 month for Capt-Capt, and Capt-Capt
Major any time after that
1 month for Maj-Maj and Maj-Maj
Eaker any time after that
Spaatz any time after that

Roughly 32 months (assuming "any time after that is ~6 days.)
Earhart Award, 2018

abdsp51

And this is why we have issues in the program. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on September 26, 2014, 09:48:30 PM
^ Yes, and the ones who do, would never consider the idea.

Are CAP CC's inconsistently trained and many times chosen based on physical presence?

Yes.

Which is why the program, especially on the cadet side, is standardized, and leaves little room for people to be "special".
Me and Eclipse don't agree often......but in this case we do 100%.

We get what you are saying.   In fact a few years back the CP types actually drafted a proposal to "fast track" or allow older cadets to "challenge" the test......so your hypothetical older more mature 16 year old could speed through the lower ranks.

The general consensus was that it was an "okay" idea but would cause more problems then it would fix.

I've been doing this for 10+ years.....maybe.....maybe.....it would have helped two or three cadets...and the squadron too....but that's it tops.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cadetter

Earhart Award, 2018

PHall

Or maybe they know what they're talking about and you refuse to listen.

Cadetter

Listened to and agree with them. Ego is one of my main vices.
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

Quote from: Eclipse on September 29, 2014, 06:53:41 PM
And thusly a textbook example of appointing a cadet to a position inappropriate to his grade and experience.

I get the point, sir.
Earhart Award, 2018

Johnny Yuma

The way we have it set up is perfect, let's not reinvent the wheel.

A cadet CAN progress every 2 months. Just because he's done all the tasks doesn't mean he's automatically promotable. That's why we have promotion boards and commander's discretion. In the case of promotions below Mitchell, I believe the question the board and commander should ask is why shouldn't they promote, while the question for cadet officers should be why they should be promoted.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Storm Chaser

In my experience, many (most?) cadets who want to promote faster than the minimum time-in-grade requirement are those who probably need more time before they should be promoted anyway. A cadet may be knowledgeable and mature, but gaining experience still takes time. That's one of the reasons we have TIG requirements.

Cadetter

Earhart Award, 2018

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 12, 2014, 05:31:00 PM
In my experience, many (most?) cadets who want to promote faster than the minimum time-in-grade requirement are those who probably need more time before they should be promoted anyway. A cadet may be knowledgeable and mature, but gaining experience still takes time. That's one of the reasons we have TIG requirements.

Dealing with that right now. Courtesy of the former leadership that bent over backwards to get cadets in, within the minimum time, even if the cadets attempt to complete the whole achievement in the final week of the cycle...