CPPT 52-10 "Transportation"

Started by FloridaCaptain, June 26, 2014, 04:26:25 PM

Cadetter

Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

a2capt

If we've got a cadet living on their own accord, I'm going to figure that CAP attendance is not going to be that high on their worry list. OTOH, it may just be one of the better avenues for them to get help. But...

Otherwise, you're either under guardianship or emancipation.

lordmonar

Quote from: Alaric on June 27, 2014, 05:00:32 AM
I think the presumption that we are predators is offensive, and if that is the major worry, then do away with the cadet program and we wont need to worry about it.  If parents don't have the time or resources to drop off their kids then sorry, they cant participate.
When a Cop pulls you over for speeding....he is armed and wearing body armor and he has called in "I'm getting out of my car" not because he presumes that you are a looking to kill a cop.    But he is going to err on the side of caution.

You don't have to play.  No one is asking you to.   Take the basic level CPP training and then go away.   I don't ask people who are scared flying to be air crew I certainly wont ask someone who is scared of cadets to do CP.

As for "you can't get here you can't participate"  well that's a sort of given.   

Listen it sucks....it really does.   But that's life.  No one said it was fair.   
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2014, 01:49:47 AM
Quote from: Alaric on June 27, 2014, 01:34:23 AM
I have no intention of leaving CAP I just will never work with cadets if it can be avoided

Nothing wrong with that.

+1...entirely fair call to make.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2014, 05:06:12 AM
Quote from: Cadetter on June 27, 2014, 05:02:43 AM
What about when cadets don't have parents?

They have legal guardians, in some cases, it's the state, but there is always someone
responsible for them.

The sad fact of life, especially today, is that not everyone can do everything, everyone
has limitations, and at some point you simply have to say "we can't help you".

CAP is not a rec center, a boot camp, or a foster program.  In comparison to similar youth programs,
it has fairly high expectations of participation, academics, and cost.  That's just the fact.

If anything, the distances needed to travel are indicative of the program shrinkage - in
years passed there were units all over the place in relative proximity to just about
anyone interested, just like the BSA.   There's a good place to start - seeding units,
but in the current paradigm, where units are placed on the whim of the
sitting commander, or are dependent on donated facilities, there's not much anyone
can do about "getting there" other then to say "you must".

+1, especially the point about that not everyone can do everything, everyone
has limitations, and at some point you simply have to say "we can't help you".

We go so far and no further.  I agree with you that we have high expectations of our cadets and adults, especially in terms of cost; I don't like that, to be honest, and we can mitigate it to some extent but my talk to prospective parents always has the same basic points: this is what we are, who we are and what we do.  If this works for you and your child, please complete an application.  If you do join, please commit to giving us the time we ask of you.  If this doesn't meet your needs, then thanks for visiting and have a pleasant evening. 

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: lordmonar on June 27, 2014, 05:43:49 AM
Quote from: Alaric on June 27, 2014, 05:00:32 AM
I think the presumption that we are predators is offensive, and if that is the major worry, then do away with the cadet program and we wont need to worry about it.  If parents don't have the time or resources to drop off their kids then sorry, they cant participate.

You don't have to play.  No one is asking you to.   Take the basic level CPP training and then go away.   I don't ask people who are scared flying to be air crew I certainly wont ask someone who is scared of cadets to do CP.

As for "you can't get here you can't participate"  well that's a sort of given.   

Listen it sucks....it really does.   But that's life.  No one said it was fair.   

Check, Check and Check!

People have to remember that they choose to join, they must adapt to the organization...not the other way around.

FloridaCaptain

Well the only honest member here is the one talking about getting rid of cadets. Through these types of regulations CAP is making it impossible for cadets to get anything out of their membership. I am sure the cadet whom I had to say "no" to, will speak with his wallet when it comes time for renewal. CAP clearly doesn't want cadets, so I agree..get rid of it and have your pilots club.  >:( geniuses!

Eclipse

^ Wow,  100% a load of steaming nonsense.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

By all means, let's disband the cadet corps because it's just "too easy for us predators" to take advantage of.  :o

There are senior squadrons out there. If you don't want to deal with cadets, fine. Join one of them, and you will never have to lay eyes on one in your entire career, let alone have one jeopardize your livelihood with false accusations.

CAP is clearly not cadet friendly. We don't allow cadets to fly airplanes, we don't let them lead, we don't let them do anything, and they clearly are a drain on the budget that can go to other things like new planes to replace our dilapidated fleet and the 2010-era vans. Teenagers are clearly not what we are looking for, we need more adults!

GET RID OF THE THIRD PART OF OUR MISSION SO THAT THE TRIANGLE THINGY BECOMES A TWO-BLADED PROP THINGY!

I personally loathe cadets and really hate to see them grow and prosper into responsible adults who go to college, or join the military to further the agenda of The Man. To see them wearing the uniform of our proud ADULT servicemen and women...makes my stomach turn. I'd rather see a bunch of long-haired, tattooed, smoking, drug dealing high school dropout skateboarders. They truly are the epitome of what a teen should be.

And if you believe that, you clearly have no grasp of sarcasm.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

FloridaCaptain

Garibaldi, you are exactly right, thank you for seeing the issue. The only nonsense I have seen is this new CPPT.

Panzerbjorn

I think people are forgetting that the 3+ party protection works in both directions.  People are taking offense and are feeling like they are being looked at as predators.  There have been plenty of instances out there in the news where children are making false accusations and ruining the lives and reputations of the accused.  Typically those scenarios are one-on-one situations.  I choose to believe that regs like that are there to protect me as much as the cadet.

Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Eclipse

^ Exactly.

Last week my wife was at an overnight benefit activity where a bunch of Scouts were participating.

One mom, who appears to have a somewhat "dramatic" personal life, slowed down enough for him to jump out dropped off her son
and he was so new to the troop there was some real concern he might not even be an official member yet.

She certainly had no idea who she was leaving her kid with, and it appears he was "unclear" on why he was there,
and not all that excited about being involved.  Comments he made indicate he may well be left to his own devices
on a regular basis.  He had some non-trivial behavioral issues that may or may not preclude his long-term involvement,
and getting ahold of mom when the activity wrapped up early (i.e. 5am) was difficult as apparently she had been "out".

That's a situation that is bad from every angle and the adults need to protect themselves as much as the kid needs protection.
Everyone involved that night should have been in theoretical bubble wrap.

More to the direct point, I have been privy-to or directly involved in a number of situations where false complaints were
filed maliciously and had everyone been following the simple, clear rules, there would have been no opportunity for
even an allegation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Robb Ottenhoff

This is an important question, and should be clearly and definitively answered so that we all operate with integrity and consistency across all units. 

I did some research within CAP regulations, CAP Knowledge Base and CAP published white papers, and here's where am arriving:

CAPR 52-10, 18 APR 2014, paragraph 2-3(g) states: (Emphasis mine)
QuoteTransportation. If an adult leader transports cadets other than his or her family members to, from, or during a CAP activity, the party must number at least three (adult leader driver plus two cadets; or adult leader driver, second adult leader, and one cadet). Note that ground transportation to and from CAP activities via member-owned vehicles is not considered part of official travel and is therefore conducted at the member's risk (see CAPR 900-5, Civil Air Patrol Insurance/Benefits Program, 10).
My understanding is that the last sentence, in the above section, is saying: if your are in a POV, transporting cadet(s) to and from Civil Air Patrol activities, then the CAPR 52-10 regulation does not apply, and therefore no requirements for the number of people in the POV.

CAPR 77-1, 13 MAR 2013: paragraph 1-8(b) states:  (Emphasis mine)
QuoteUse of POVs for transportation to and from CAP meetings, encampments and other activities is solely at the risk of the individual CAP members and their passengers. CAP assumes no right of control, liability or responsibility for such transportation. Unit commanders must approve, in writing, justification for use of a POV as official CAP transportation, when adequate COVs are not available for such purposes. Approval is limited to unusual circumstances where lack of transportation or capability for CAP members adversely impacts important activities. Prior to granting such permission, the member must produce evidence of insurance coverage, state inspection (if required) and registration. Written approval for use of a POV will be maintained on file in accordance with CAPR 10-2, Files Maintenance and Records Disposition.
While the above is chiefly referencing insurance and liability of property, it reinforces the general tone across all Civil Air Patrol regulations that travel to and from Civil Air Patrol event in POVs is not under Civil Air Patrol control or supervision unless a unit commander directly authorizes it, which would then lead me to believe, with my admittedly limited experience in the field, that would make a POV into a TUV (Temporary use vehicle).

I believe this reinforces my current understanding/reading of CAPR 52-10, in that the Civil Air Patrol assumes no right of control, liability or responsibility.  I therefore conclude this to mean that the Civil Air Patrol is stating (bluntly) it has no interest or involvement in controlling, managing or monitoring travel to and from Civil Air Patrol events in POVs.

Then there's the entry on the CAP Knowledgebase that talks about travel and the updated CAPR 52-10:
http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/922/~/cadets-or-parents-driving-other-cadets-to-cap-meetings-and-activities
(note: there is an error on the reference to CAPR 52-10, paragraph 9-5. "Transportation Policies." on the CAP Knowledgebase, likely just a reference to an older version of CAPR 52-10, feedback already submitted to CAP Knowledgebase team.)

With this research, I am left with the understanding that when I am traveling in my POV, to or from a Civil Air Patrol event, I can, at my sole discretion, provide transportation to others, regardless of their membership in the Civil Air Patrol, without fulfilling the 3 person rule in CAPR 52-16.

With that said, anytime a cadet gets into my POV, I had already had a very blunt conversion with the the cadet's parent(s) and/or guardian(s), in advance and with enough time for them to make other arrangements, making it very clear that in these cases (travel to and from events), I am not acting as, nor representing the Civil Air Patrol and they should NOT consider my membership in the Civil Air Patrol as a trust factor when deciding to entrust me with the safety and well being of their child.  I really look to see if the parent is fully getting that point as it's easy for a parent who is overwhelmed or distracted from fully being present to the gravity of that conversation; for themselves, their child and myself. 

I would also selectivity decline a request to transport a single cadet in cases where I have concerns about the maturity and/or historical behaviors (of either the cadet or parent.)  While I currently believe the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Protection Policy 3 person rule in CAPR 52-16 does not apply in these limited cases (POV to and from events), my reputation within the unit, and with our customers (the parents), always applies and is my full-time, privileged responsibility regardless if there's a Civil Air Patrol regulation in effect or not.

I welcome comments, advise, counter-points and corrections as I am only interested in the successfully application of the new Civil Air Patrol Cadet Protection Policy while maximizing the number of cadets that we can support.

-r
Robb Ottenhoff, Capt, CAP
Leadership Officer
Cloverfield Composite Squadron, CAWG

SamFranklin

Robb asks a good question. The "own risk" thing is tricky and/or poorly explained, so I did some digging of my own. Apparently the new "CPPT" (or whatever they call it now) is available in draft form on the Proving Grounds.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Cadet_Protection_Basic__slides_09E39B8D2C1A7.pdf

The draft training explicitly says thou shall not break the rule of three in driving. So, that "own risk" section Robb quoted must mean:  "Must follow the rule of three, and by the way, travel to and from CAP is at your risk, under your insurance, not CAP's insurance."

-sf

Eclipse

The "new CPPT is not in "draft form" it in full effect as of April 2014.

52-10 (page 6) is explicit and clear in this regard, and just like the 2nd amendment, you can's split the paragraph to suit your interpretation.

g. Transportation. If an adult leader transports cadets other than his or her family
members to, from, or during a CAP activity, the party must number at least three
(adult leader
driver plus two cadets; or adult leader driver, second adult leader, and one cadet). Note that
ground transportation to and from CAP activities via member-owned vehicles is not considered
part of official travel and is therefore conducted at the member's risk (see CAPR 900-5, Civil Air
Patrol Insurance/Benefits Program, 10).

The paragraph makes no separation of the to/from as having to be "official" and only denotes
that to/from "isn't" official to insure members understand that CAP NHQ isn't going to cover them when they
rear end someone on the way to a meeting.

There is no option or wiggle room here, by design. An adult member may not transport a non-family cadet by himself.

"That Others May Zoom"

Robb Ottenhoff

Quote from: SamFranklin on June 28, 2014, 12:12:00 AM
Robb asks a good question. The "own risk" thing is tricky and/or poorly explained, so I did some digging of my own. Apparently the new "CPPT" (or whatever they call it now) is available in draft form on the Proving Grounds.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Cadet_Protection_Basic__slides_09E39B8D2C1A7.pdf

The draft training explicitly says thou shall not break the rule of three in driving. So, that "own risk" section Robb quoted must mean:  "Must follow the rule of three, and by the way, travel to and from CAP is at your risk, under your insurance, not CAP's insurance."

-sf

Sam: Good find -- That presentation didn't come up in my research, but I just reviewed it and wonder if it's in draft because the relevant regulations; CAPR 52-10, CAPR 77-1, possible other, are not yet updated to be consistent with it's example of the Mom giving permission to a SM that lives nearby.   Or, and I don't know either way, it's because the presentation itself it over reaching. 

I fully agree with CAP using and applying all the best practices other youth organizations are using, as well as using experts and science based studies to craft our regulations, and ultimately our culture, but just like with ORM, balance is the key and is what I expect and trust will be used when all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

Which pulls me back to my first reply on this post: 
QuoteThis is an important question, and should be clearly and definitively answered so that we all operate with integrity and consistency across all units.

I am going to put this to National HQ and ask for guidance, because I don't like un-dotted i's, which are really just t's with the cross missing... (think about it)    :)

-r
Leadership Officer

SamFranklin

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 12:15:37 AM

Yes, the policy and its regulation, CAPR 52-10, are in full effect. The new version of CPPT, the *training* is in draft form. I think you mixed up your abbreviations.  CPP = policy, CPPT = policy training.

NC Hokie

Quote from: Robb Ottenhoff on June 28, 2014, 12:30:19 AM
Which pulls me back to my first reply on this post: 
QuoteThis is an important question, and should be clearly and definitively answered so that we all operate with integrity and consistency across all units.

I am going to put this to National HQ and ask for guidance, because I don't like un-dotted i's, which are really just t's with the cross missing... (think about it)    :)

Please do, and share the answer with the rest of us.  I think Eclipse got it right, but independent, semi-authoritative confirmation won't hurt.

>:D

IMHO, NHQ caused confusion and delay (thanks, Sir Topham Hatt) by including that reference to CAPR 900-5, as a reminder that CAP won't pay for any bent metal and boo boos in a POV accident isn't really relevant to the topic in question.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Robb Ottenhoff

52-10 (page 6) is explicit and clear in this regard, and just like the 2nd amendment, you can's split the paragraph to suit your interpretation.

g. Transportation. If an adult leader transports cadets other than his or her family
members to, from, or during a CAP activity, the party must number at least three
(adult leader
driver plus two cadets; or adult leader driver, second adult leader, and one cadet). Note that
ground transportation to and from CAP activities via member-owned vehicles is not considered
part of official travel and is therefore conducted at the member’s risk (see CAPR 900-5, Civil Air
Patrol Insurance/Benefits Program, 10).

The paragraph makes no separation of the to/from as having to be "official" and only denotes
that to/from "isn't" official to insure members understand that CAP NHQ isn't going to cover them when they
rear end someone on the way to a meeting.

There is no option or wiggle room here, by design. An adult member may not transport a non-family cadet by himself.

Eclipse,

It's not my intention to create any unclarity, in fact, I am taking a stand for clarity by doing this research and posting here, and as noted by my reply to Sam saying that I was going to put this to National HQ for guidance.

While I get your your view that I may have 'split the paragraph to suit' I actually tried to do the opposite by reading all the CAP regulations, CAP Knowledge Base and CAP published white papers that I could find to review.   It's from the collections of those that I came to my current conclusion. The consistent guidance and tone across all those regulations is that the Civil Air Patrol has no interest or involvement in controlling, managing or monitoring travel to and from Civil Air Patrol events in POVs.   

I think that it's important to say at this point that I don't have a dog in this race.  I am looking for guidance, not a specific result.  And I expect that guidance to be clear and consistent.   My guess is that it's currently not clear because this isn't a simple topic, balancing cadet protection with cadet access with parent requests, etc.

In previous draft versions, I recall the "Coffee house" rule, which if that was still in the current CAPR 52-10, I thnk I would be leaning to your conclusion:

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 12:15:37 AMAn adult member may not transport a non-family cadet by himself.

But absent more guidance from National, I'm left with my current operating understanding, as stated in my original reply to this post.

I'm more than open to debate here (respectfully) both sides, but I doubt that this will be settled for me without either National HQ weighting in, someone in my chain of command providing direct guidance, or an update to CAPR 52-10 or CAPR 77-1 that counters my conclusions from my read of:

CAPR 77-1, 13 MAR 2013: paragraph 1-8(b):
QuoteUse of POVs for transportation to and from CAP meetings, encampments and other activities is solely at the risk of the individual CAP members and their passengers. CAP assumes no right of control, liability or responsibility for such transportation.

I can't help but read "CAP assumes no right of control" to mean that the Civil Air Patrol declines all involvement, including the ability or responsibility to regulate or monitor said transportation.

Thoughts?

-r
Leadership Officer

NC Hokie

Actually, a strict reading of the regulation is that an adult leader may not transport a non-family cadet without another CAP member being present.

So...

An adult leader and two unrelated prospective cadets is allowed, BUT;
An adult leader, a cadet, and the cadet's non-member sibling is not allowed, AND;
An adult leader, a cadet and a non-member adult (including the cadet's parents) is also not allowed.

Maybe I should stop pulling at that thread!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy