Promoting

Started by Cadetter, June 02, 2014, 06:54:50 PM

Cadetter

Thanks... and the 1/2 drill time is for THIS MONTH ONLY.

I have gone to my squadron leadership, and we are working on it. I am creating a list of ways to motivate cadets to promote, and for some reason I'm not thinking well, although I do have some. Which is why I started this thread.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 07, 2014, 02:18:58 AM
Eclipse....I think you do not have enough SA on the actual situation to be determine what is or is not too much time on one area of Cadetter's squadron.

I wouldn't argue that, but we can only discuss what is provided.

One thing that is true, what you're doing now, apparently, isn't working, so justifying what you're doing now
isn't going to get things to change.

The only thing that gets things to change, is change.   And you might not make the right choices the first try,
but the sooner you start, the better for everyone.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 01:31:08 PM
Well, our state isn't nearly as large as Texas, but it's most our cadets aren't rich. A lot of our cadets aren't going to summer encampment due to finances, and that's in-state.

What are you and your unit doing to find financial help for those cadets? Have you tried unit fund raisers.? Hit up the local vet groups? Check with the encampment  commander if scholarships are available?  Anything to raise a few bucks. Use your imagination.

Cadetter

1-3 fundraisers per month.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Define "fundraiser".

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

[lmgtfy]define fundraiser[/lmgtfy]

And our squadron offers small scholarships for summer encampment and NCSAs.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

I know what a fundraiser is, what does it mean when you say you do them three times a month?

"That Others May Zoom"

MajorM

Where are the Cadet Programs seniors in this?  I have found the most significant motivation for s"slow-roll" cadets is when a senior engages them, expresses an interest and tells then to test.  Almost every time within a week they've tested.  This isn't meant to usurp the role of cadet leadership but to augment it.  There's a power that an invested, caring adult has that a cadet leader can't always replicate.

Cadetter

Our squadron commander has been personally urging cadets on the 120 days' list, and our deputy commander has been encouraging cadets to promote as well.
Earhart Award, 2018

skywise123

Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 12:55:52 AM
CAP is too hard on some parents, who are otherwise busy and even have a difficult time taking their cadet to weekly meetings.

Promoting isn't optional. I don't like saying up or out, though. Some cadets decide they are to immature for promotion, and hence do not promote.

Most of our cadets have regular access to computers. The three who don't are the most active promoters. Our unit offers drill tests every week except PT.

Well, my wing cadet summer encampment commander hasn't promoted in a year or two. Then again, he's staffed 10 encampments, gone on IACE more than once (I think), and is the only person qualified.

As for not passing tests - Our cadets have particular trouble passing Curry, and some with the Wright Brothers. Another has trouble with Aerospace module 5.

(Edited to remove sarcasm.)

I feel very sad when I read this.  My son has been a cadet for over a year and has yet to pass his PT so he can't get his first promotion. He has passed every written test with flying colors.  He is the best Cadet in AE but he can't pass PT.  We have tried working with him.  Running nightly.  And now joining a gym and getting a personal trainer but he still can't pass.  I guess you are saying he is not suitable for CAP.  He is always smiling when he leaves the meetings but has gotten to dread going to PT because he's embarassed.  The Colonel & the squad all cheer him on but he just can't do it.  He is asking to quit but I wanted him to join to develop his leadership skills.. not to learn to give up. 

What should I/could I do?  Is it time to give up before he hits another birthday making PT ever harder still?

Eclipse

Quote from: skywise123 on June 16, 2014, 07:54:57 PMWhat should I/could I do?  Is it time to give up before he hits another birthday making PT ever harder still?

Another birthday?  How long has this gone on and at what level?
What is he missing?  Everything or just one part?

If he has a legitimate physical limitation he can be assessed by a physician and provide documentation that he
fits into Category 2-4:

Category I - Unrestricted

Category II - Temporarily Restricted (at the discretion of the Unit CC and generally not for more then 6 months)

Category III – Partially Restricted (requires physician)

Category IV- Indefinitely Restricted (requires physician)

Cadets in Cat II can promote achievements, but not milestones  Thety are not allowed to even attempt PT until the category
is changed back to CAT I, and it's not an "in and out" thing.  In order to progress past milestones, they have to be in Cat III or IV.

Honestly, most reasonably active cadets can pass the PT, especially the early rounds, without too much additional effort.
If he is unable, then he may have a legitimate physical limitation (more then one struggling cadet has been found to
have a serious ailment because of an exam prompted by failing PT), if not, then it is what it is.  CAP has objective standards,
and they have to be met by those who are deemed capable of meeting them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 07, 2014, 11:14:42 PM

You never answered this question. 

What is a "fundraiser" as per the "three" your unit is doing a month?

So far you've indicated that you spend 1/2 your meeting time a month on drill, and do three fundraisers a
month.  From 50k feet that looks like a lot of time spent on areas not helping your cadets promote.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: skywise123 on June 16, 2014, 07:54:57 PM
I feel very sad when I read this.  My son has been a cadet for over a year and has yet to pass his PT so he can't get his first promotion. He has passed every written test with flying colors.  He is the best Cadet in AE but he can't pass PT.  We have tried working with him.  Running nightly.  And now joining a gym and getting a personal trainer but he still can't pass.  I guess you are saying he is not suitable for CAP.  He is always smiling when he leaves the meetings but has gotten to dread going to PT because he's embarassed.  The Colonel & the squad all cheer him on but he just can't do it.  He is asking to quit but I wanted him to join to develop his leadership skills.. not to learn to give up. 

What should I/could I do?  Is it time to give up before he hits another birthday making PT ever harder still?
Is there ANY physiological reason that he cannot pass the parts of the CPFT that he is having trouble with?  If so, and with proper documentation from his physician, he can be placed into one of the restricted physical fitness categories, which may help.

Are you sure that the CPFT is being administered properly?  He only has to pass one of the runs and two of the other three events to pass the CPFT, but I have heard of units that require a passing score on all five events.

Finally, page 6 of the New Cadet Guide (http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/New_Cadet_Guide_Collected__Reduced_15A1D3E72608D.pdf) has a good running plan for cadets that struggle with the mile run.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

a2capt

PT can be medically waived at the unit level for non-milestone promotions.

It will take a doctors note to waive it at the milestone level.

A unit waiver isn't a cop-out, a free pass, etc. because the milestone will still ultimately be a show stopper, but in cases where the cadet is working on it, improving, just not fast enough, but perhaps a stripe will only help with motivation.. :)

When we've gone that route, we still require PT participation, and typically it's an issue where the cadet may be having issue with just one area of PT, typically the run, but sometimes it's one of the other areas, and since you've got to pass two of three, and one must be a running activity .. it can be a challenge in the beginning.

Yup, it only gets harder as the age adds up, and they -definitely- have to be doing more PT than just the once a month opportunity at CAP, to get over that hump, and use all the opportunities in school to their fullest.

Cadetter

Quote from: Eclipse on June 16, 2014, 08:21:49 PM
Quote from: Cadetter on June 07, 2014, 11:14:42 PM

You never answered this question. 

What is a "fundraiser" as per the "three" your unit is doing a month?

So far you've indicated that you spend 1/2 your meeting time a month on drill, and do three fundraisers a
month.  From 50k feet that looks like a lot of time spent on areas not helping your cadets promote.

We go out and park cars, clean up somewhere, etc., and they're fundraisers. Not always 3 per month, 1-3 per month.

We're now spending 15-30 min on drill. More leadership and aerospace classes from the textbook.

Quote from: skywise123 on June 16, 2014, 07:54:57 PM
Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 12:55:52 AM
CAP is too hard on some parents, who are otherwise busy and even have a difficult time taking their cadet to weekly meetings.

Promoting isn't optional. I don't like saying up or out, though. Some cadets decide they are to immature for promotion, and hence do not promote.

Most of our cadets have regular access to computers. The three who don't are the most active promoters. Our unit offers drill tests every week except PT.

Well, my wing cadet summer encampment commander hasn't promoted in a year or two. Then again, he's staffed 10 encampments, gone on IACE more than once (I think), and is the only person qualified.

As for not passing tests - Our cadets have particular trouble passing Curry, and some with the Wright Brothers. Another has trouble with Aerospace module 5.

(Edited to remove sarcasm.)

I am not saying he's not suitable for CAP. Our two most motivated cadets can't pass PT. They're definitely suitable for CAP. And I can't even get a single pushup!
Earhart Award, 2018

NC Hokie

Quote from: a2capt on June 16, 2014, 10:43:08 PM

Can you provide a citation for that?  I remember hearing/seeing that somewhere, but I couldn't find it in 52-16.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

^ Category II is commander's discretion up until the next milestone.

(Note III & IV require Physician's evaluation, II does not, ergo, it's up to the CC).

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

Quote from: NC Hokie on June 17, 2014, 12:44:45 AM

Can you provide a citation for that?  I remember hearing/seeing that somewhere, but I couldn't find it in 52-16.

Look under CAPR 52-16, 2-12.
Earhart Award, 2018

NC Hokie

Quote from: NC Hokie on June 17, 2014, 12:44:45 AM

Sorry, didn't catch "medically" the first three times I read your comment.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

skywise123

I am not saying he's not suitable for CAP. Our two most motivated cadets can't pass PT. They're definitely suitable for CAP. And I can't even get a single pushup!
[/quote]

I feel much better now then.  Because my son couldn't do any when he joined, he can do 5-9 now depending on the night and is 20 seconds short on the mile.  But it's very frustrating to fail every week.  He has the best AE scores and attends most meetings and even weekend fundraiser which are always fun.  But some of the newer recruits have promoted several times and he's still not even an Airmen.

Our Commander is kind of strict though.  I've considered switching to another unit but I'd rather not.