Promoting

Started by Cadetter, June 02, 2014, 06:54:50 PM

SamFranklin

Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 01:31:07 AM
I'm looking for ways to teach self motivation.

Perhaps that's the problem right there. Why would an unmotivated cadet want to learn self-motivation?

First they need to develop a basic enthusiasm for the program. Acquiring "self-motivation," better known through the concept of intrinsic reward, is a high level developmental milestone, likely beyond the reach of younger adolescents. A more effective strategy for the age group is to use extrinsic rewards in positive reenforcement. Sorry, I realize that's jargon, but aim at social and esteem needs. "hey, the rocketry program is really cool because xyzabc, and graduates qualify for the rocketry badge, which is modeled on the old AF missile badge." That extrinsic reward could motivate and buy you time to reach bigger developmental goals later on. Do that a few times until higher order milestones like self motivation are developmentally within reach. Hope that helps.

SamFranklin

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2014, 01:40:45 AM

It's a core component of the program, not to mention part of the Cadet Oath.

... The conversation.

Indeed, advancing ed and training rapidly is a core part of the program. No dispute. But the consequence of early termination does not necessarily follow.

If by "the conversation" you mean a teachable moment through positive reenforcement, yes, that's very much in order. But if you mean it's ultimatum time, I'd suggest that the literature on motivational theory runs the other way.

Cadetter

Quote from: SamFranklin on June 05, 2014, 01:53:04 AM
Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 01:31:07 AM
I'm looking for ways to teach self motivation.

Perhaps that's the problem right there. Why would an unmotivated cadet want to learn self-motivation?

Well, I did.

Quote from: SamFranklin on June 05, 2014, 01:53:04 AM

First they need to develop a basic enthusiasm for the program. Acquiring "self-motivation," better known through the concept of intrinsic reward, is a high level developmental milestone, likely beyond the reach of younger adolescents. A more effective strategy for the age group is to use extrinsic rewards in positive reenforcement. Sorry, I realize that's jargon, but aim at social and esteem needs. "hey, the rocketry program is really cool because xyzabc, and graduates qualify for the rocketry badge, which is modeled on the old AF missile badge." That extrinsic reward could motivate and buy you time to reach bigger developmental goals later on. Do that a few times until higher order milestones like self motivation are developmentally within reach. Hope that helps.

Maslow's hierarchy?

We are trying to find tangible benefits. What, for instance, is a extrinsic benefit of getting the Wright Brothers? Curry/Arnold/Feik/etc?
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: SamFranklin on June 05, 2014, 02:00:48 AMIf by "the conversation" you mean a teachable moment through positive reenforcement, yes, that's very much in order. But if you mean it's ultimatum time, I'd suggest that the literature on motivational theory runs the other way.

It's both, and the aren't mutually exclusive.

Having the "conversation" with a cadet who is looking at year two or three of non-progression is hardly "early".

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

Well, we had a cadet this year who hadn't promoted for two or three years, who wanted to be first sergeant. They didn't attend meetings more than once every half year. They are a member of our squadron's ghost squadron atm.

I agree those years fly by. However, it is their CAP life. I intend to receive my Spaatz. Only five cadets in my squadron besides myself intend to do so.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 02:03:34 AMWe are trying to find tangible benefits. What, for instance, is a extrinsic benefit of getting the Wright Brothers? Curry/Arnold/Feik/etc?

E-3 is the military is in your future, many outside activities, CAC, NCC, various other NCSAs, etc., all open up to,
or are more readily available to cadets who are progressing at an acceptable rate, if for no other reason then
many of these activities have pretty high competition, especially if you want to be on staff.

"That Others May Zoom"

SamFranklin

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2014, 02:03:51 AM
Quote from: SamFranklin on June 05, 2014, 02:00:48 AMIf by "the conversation" you mean a teachable moment through positive reenforcement, yes, that's very much in order. But if you mean it's ultimatum time, I'd suggest that the literature on motivational theory runs the other way.

It's both, and the aren't mutually exclusive.

Having the "conversation" with a cadet who is looking at year two or three of non-progression is hardly "early".

Help me understand what you're saying. How can an ultimatum be presented consistent with positive reenforcement?

Back to lurker status. Sorry, I just can't up with the volume here.

Cadetter

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2014, 02:06:00 AM
Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 02:03:34 AMWe are trying to find tangible benefits. What, for instance, is a extrinsic benefit of getting the Wright Brothers? Curry/Arnold/Feik/etc?

E-3 is the military is in your future, many outside activities, CAC, NCC, various other NCSAs, etc., all open up to,
or are more readily available to cadets who are progressing at an acceptable rate, if for no other reason then
many of these activities have pretty high competition, especially if you want to be on staff.

Most cadets in my squadron don't intend to join the military. Three of the ones who do will get their Spaatz.

CAC - when CAC reps are A1Cs?

Most our cadets don't really care about outside of state activities. We don't have national ones here that I know of.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 02:10:02 AMCAC - when CAC reps are A1Cs?

Most our cadets don't really care about outside of state activities. We don't have national ones here that I know of.

Here's two of your problems right there, things easy to fix.

The Squadron is the Heart of CAP, but it should not be considered the end-all or be-all.

If your unit leadership is not stressing participating outside the unit, for everyone, cadet and senior,
that's a significant failure, and is to the detriment of the member(s) and the organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: SamFranklin on June 05, 2014, 02:08:50 AM=
Help me understand what you're saying. How can an ultimatum be presented consistent with positive reenforcement?

Part of being a leader and mentor, to anyone, is accepting that these difficult conversations are necessary for
everyone's good, including the organization.

In many cases, the perception that life is an open-ended book with no deadlines or expectations are the reason
people fail.  A reminder of that can get people back on track.

Cadets non-progressing without legitimate reasons are not good for anyone, especially the cadet in question.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2014, 02:16:14 AM

The Squadron is the Heart of CAP, but it should not be considered the end-all or be-all.

If your unit leadership is not stressing participating outside the unit, for everyone, cadet and senior,
that's a significant failure, and is to the detriment of the member(s) and the organization.

Our cadets participate outside the UNIT, not outside the STATE. Most haven't gone to a single outside the state activity. Sometimes they cost more than the cadets can afford.
Earhart Award, 2018

a2capt

..for some units, the most obvious participation is in the next wing.

Alaric

Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 02:46:36 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2014, 02:16:14 AM

Our cadets participate outside the UNIT, not outside the STATE. Most haven't gone to a single outside the state activity. Sometimes they cost more than the cadets can afford.

I can see not going out of state depending on where you are, when I lived in Texas few people went out of state due to the distance and cost

Cadetter

Well, our state isn't nearly as large as Texas, but it's most our cadets aren't rich. A lot of our cadets aren't going to summer encampment due to finances, and that's in-state.
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

Quote from: a2capt on June 05, 2014, 04:05:40 AM
..for some units, the most obvious participation is in the next wing.

Yes, if you're near the state line.
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

And I just got "the talk" on participating in activities.

At least we've got some cadets trying to promote, we just need them succeeding. The part that they pass the easiest is drill, because the first half of our meeting is inspection and drill ('cept for PT nights). I am "googling'' and finding what I can to motivate cadets - most effective way in our squadron seems to be "we need you to promote, because we need _________ to help us succeed as a squadron."                                                                                        (airmen, sergeants, etc)
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 07, 2014, 01:23:31 AM...because the first half of our meeting is inspection and drill ('cept for PT nights)

If you're devoting half of most meetings on drill and inspection, you have an easy place to start.

Most nights drill should be left to formations, and if an inspection takes more then 10 minutes, total, you're doing it wrong.
A weekly inspection, presuming it is necessary, should be an "up-down / left-right" affair, not a root canal.

From 50k feet it sounds like your emphasis is in the wrong place, or if not, then at a minimum you should de-emphasize
what your cadets are already doing well with, and place the attention where they need assistance.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

Inspection takes 3 minutes per 15 cadets.

The cadets don't attend regularly if we don't have drill. It seems to be their favorite part of CP. And they are improving, but are not "doing well." Once we start doing better at drill, we will have 15 minutes or so on a meeting night.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

CAP is not a drill team, it's a small part of a larger whole.

Regardless of the excuses, 1/2 a meeting more then once a month on drill is too much, certainly it should not
be most of them.

It sounds like you are zeroing in on your problems, whether you expected to do it this way or not.

The AE, Leadership, CI, not to mention ES, should be engaging enough for them to want to be there for
those as well.

Drill is actually a small part of CAP, but a lot of unit treat it like it's CAP's primary purpose.
It's also used any and every time a leader has not prepared a proper lesson plan.

Time to look at your 13-week schedule and make some hard choices about where you are spending your time.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Eclipse....I think you do not have enough SA on the actual situation to be determine what is or is not too much time on one area of Cadetter's squadron.

Cadetter.....good job trying to get some help....I now suggest that you go to your squadron leadership with these issues....and see what sort of plan you can figure out.

If this thread keeps going the way it currently is.....it is going to change into one of those name calling matches where Eclipse and I start arguing the meaning of "is" again.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP