Earhart Exam!

Started by Cap'n, May 10, 2014, 04:13:00 AM

Cap'n

Hello everyone!

I'm taking my Earhart for the first time this next week, and would love advice, suggestions, etc.
I passed WB and Mitchell on my first time, but I understand this is a whole other ball game.

I know the general information: re-read the books (with an emphasis on chapters 9-11, I believe), and study, study, study.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions. I know some CAP members frown upon cadets asking for any kind of study guide on here, but, if you know a good study guide/practice test, etc, I would appreciate it so much if you sent it my way. I'm already trying to memorize all the terms on Quizlet from the Mitchell and Earhart sections, as well as re-reading all the modules/chapters.

Also, any good test taking tips? I get extremely nervous during tests, even CAP ones that can be redone with no repercussions. It's just how I am. Any good suggestions on getting rid of that test anxiety?

I appreciate any and all help! Thank you in advance!

HGjunkie

It sounds kinda bad but since aerospace is the same as Mitchell, you probably only need to skim over that again. And the leadership wasn't too bad either, most of it is pretty logical stuff. If you got high scores on the tests then you should be fine.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

KF6YVD

As both a cadet programs officer and a testing officer I will offer you the same exact advice I offer our cadets. As we will not help them with a study guide in any way the advice sounds vague, but if you really think about your previous tests up to this point, and read your review chapters the method to creating a very good study guide should be very obvious.

Sorry the advice sounds so vague but once you figure out what I mean it will help you on every leadership test from this point forward.

As far add the test anxiety goes I have never encountered that but i would recommend studying well until you have a high comfort level with your knowledge.

And do not place too much pressure on yourself. You have passed all the tests up to this point and it's the same content..

GOOD LUCK!
Steven A. Lindquist
SWR-NM-811 Communications Officer
SWR-NM-811 Information Technologies Officer
SWR-NM-811 Asst. Cadet Programs Officer
SWR-NM-811 Asst. Leadership Officer
Amateur Radio Callsign - KF6YVD

Майор Хаткевич

HG Junkie gave a good one. Realize that the Earhart AE is based on the modules...just like the Mitchell. Don't even know why we have it.

Cap'n

Thank you all for the advice! I saw three replies, and was nervous about getting the whole "You're a C/1st Lt. You should know how to study. Do that instead of asking for help online," sort of thing, so I really appreciate everyone's input! I did alright on Mitchell. 90% on leadership without studying, 80% on aerospace with studying, so I know where my studying priorities primarily lie (the drawback on Mitchell was that I barely looked at the glider material when studying. If you've taken the test, you know what I'm talking about.)

I'll post how it goes! I'm not in a huge time crunch since my last promotion went through last week, but I'm hoping to hit those 56 days if possible for Encampment, so...wish me luck!

Thanks again!

Майор Хаткевич

Glider? What module was that in?

Cap'n

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 11, 2014, 02:33:43 AM
Glider? What module was that in?

Two, I think? Maybe 1. I'm in the L2L/JOF modules.

Майор Хаткевич

None of the JoF is on the Mitchell/Earhart AE.

Cap'n

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 11, 2014, 04:04:39 AM
None of the JoF is on the Mitchell/Earhart AE.

Right, sorry, I mean Aerospace Dimensions. I wasn't paying attention.

SilentPhantom

What I did for my WB was I wrote down all of the questions and answers in the L2L review tests in a book and reviewed them. Over and over and over... It worked well for me. Also, I would talk to other cadets in my squadron that have passed the Earhart and ask them for studying advice.
C/2dLt

Майор Хаткевич

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to write those down. At least in case someone else gets to them.

Garibaldi

I'm thinking that reviewing the questions over and over kind of defeats the purpose of studying. I mean, if everyone just had the questions and answers without the supporting material it kind of becomes useless.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

That's where the subjective criteria come in handy.

Cap'n

Well, I passed Aerospace, but missed Leadership by two. I'll retake the LE in two weeks.

I also found three mistakes on the exam, including one of the questions having duplicate answers. Time to fill out some forms, I guess.

Майор Хаткевич

Nhq just sent out a leadership correction on one wrong answer.

a2capt

Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 11, 2014, 07:00:37 PMWhat I did for my WB was I wrote down all of the questions and answers in the L2L review tests in a book and reviewed them. Over and over and over... It worked well for me. Also, I would talk to other cadets in my squadron that have passed the Earhart and ask them for studying advice.
Wrote down .. and kept them? Kept them past the time limit that you are allowed to have the test booklet?

I allow note paper, but the test materials are not to be copied. That's a compromise of the test if you retained that information past the test materials being collected from you. Past the time limit you are allowed to see them, even if you are the only one that ever saw it, you had an advantage that others do not get, to be able to compare those questions with the text, to have the information longer than you should have it. In the case of the milestone tests, the two shall never meet. The texts and the questions are far apart.

Cap'n

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 14, 2014, 03:52:43 AM
Nhq just sent out a leadership correction on one wrong answer.

Ah, thanks. I personally found two, told the testing officer while taking the exam, and later was told they found another one. It was either 2-3 mistakes. Regardless, they're all being sent into National.

And I think SilentPhantom is talking about review tests, as in the L2L chapters. Otherwise, a2capt has a very good point. You shouldn't be copying test questions/answers if that is the case.

PHall

In my unit the scratch paper you use during tests is run through the shredder after the test is complete.
This applies to both the on-line and paper tests.

Майор Хаткевич

I'm curious...why do cadets need scratch paper for a multiple choice test?

a2capt

Yes, I collect it the paper, too.

They can use the back of the answer sheet if they want.  I don't ask too many questions of "why". As long as they start my supplied paper, they can have what ever they want. No invisible ink, no funny business. Some people use mnemonics to recall information.

For electronics math I used to draw three or four symbols/diagrams that would give me a trigger for everything.

Whatever. I don't care. It's not against anything.