PT

Started by ilovecap, October 29, 2013, 02:38:50 AM

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2014, 06:07:09 PM
Quote from: NC Hokie on June 18, 2014, 05:44:39 PM
1) Dump the in-cadence pushups.  I've seen cadets capable of banging out 30+ good pushups fail miserably to reach 20 in-cadence pushups.

One could argue that those aren't, in fact "good" pushups, which is the point.

They aren't. They favor those who have more upper body strength. I say let them do as many pushups as they can in the same timeframe as the situps. Given this current criteria. I can do maybe 6 or 7. In a minute, I can knock out 15 to 20. I haven't done timed pushups in 30 years, though.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

BHartman007

Quote from: Ned on June 18, 2014, 05:59:16 PM

*snip*
But remember that one of the key features of the CPFT is that it is tied to real world data (or at least it was
Any ideas?

Why couldn't we compile our own "real world data"? Have a sampling of squadrons throughout the country submit their PT demographics and results over a period of X number of months, and use that to come up with our own percentiles? Just make the standard for an age to be whatever 75% of cadets of that age do nationally. That way the numbers get updated, and no one gets to arbitrarily set times.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

You have to look at the PPFA changes in the context of today's "participation award" culture.

Lowering the standards made less people "sad", which seems to e more important these days
then actual edumacation and real health.

The lack of real achievement when being presented awards, or getting stuff just because you
showed up, or for doing things you were doing anyway is not missed on kids, but eventually
many just learn to go with the flow, to their detriment.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Ned on June 18, 2014, 05:59:16 PM
Your ideas are certainly helpful.   We wouldn't mind some more help in locating and evaluating exisiting successful youth physical fitness testing programs that cover our age group.

Any ideas?

My brief research tells me what you've probably already found...there IS no wide-scale youth physical fitness program now that the President's Challenge is no more.  The obvious solution would be to talk to our friends at Air University to find out what they're doing for AFJROTC, since it seems that their fitness testing program was based on the same methodology.  Aside from that, we may have no other choice than to come up with our own program.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2014, 06:07:09 PM
Quote from: NC Hokie on June 18, 2014, 05:44:39 PM
1) Dump the in-cadence pushups.  I've seen cadets capable of banging out 30+ good pushups fail miserably to reach 20 in-cadence pushups.

One could argue that those aren't, in fact "good" pushups, which is the point.

Good, in this case, meant using the same form required for our in-cadence pushups.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

^ Right, but the timing is an important component.  There's a lot of things in
fitness training, especially in regards to holding or moving weight, that are more difficult
if you are required to do them more slowly.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Keep the standard as is and drop the jn cadence push up.  Give them a min to do as many as you can correctly and score it.  We relax the standard for pt do we relax it for the other tests as well?

tcepilot

I'm joining next month andi have bad asthma. Running is a struggle for me. If I have trouble with pt, what does that mean for me?

NC Hokie

Quote from: tcepilot on July 10, 2014, 05:36:56 AM
I'm joining next month andi have bad asthma. Running is a struggle for me. If I have trouble with pt, what does that mean for me?
Print page 30 of CAPP 52-18 (http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_018_501C183A14D19.pdf) and have your doctor fill it out. Give your squadron commander the completed form when you submit your application, and ask to be assigned to the appropriate physical fitness category.

Things may go smoother if your parents have that discussion for you.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy