Blaming younger cadets for being late

Started by Nathan, June 24, 2012, 01:47:45 PM

Nathan

So how do people feel about chastising cadets about tardiness to a meeting when they were driven by their parents? I've been seeing it happen at my squadron after we started opening our meetings up thirty minutes earlier than usual (which was good), but I've never felt comfortable with the practice.

If a cadet is driving himself, that's one thing, and I have no problem holding a cadet responsible for being late under those conditions. On the other hand, if it's the parent driving, there isn't really much that the cadet can do about it. It's based off of the parental schedule and motivation, not the cadet's, and scolding the cadet for not being naggy enough doesn't really seem like it's going to be a useful tactic. Perhaps it's worth talking to the parent if the lateness is severe enough, but I'm more of the mind that we should just be scheduling something like drill for the first thirty minutes of the meeting so that it's not a huge deal should the cadets show up late.

Thoughts?
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

jimmydeanno

I give them a hard time about it, and stress the importance of arriving on time.  However, I know that it's rarely something within their control, and don't really hold it against them.  However, I've noticed that when they are "getting in trouble" for being late, they tend to stress the importance of being on time to mom and dad, who in turn start arriving a bit earlier.

I've had a few parents ask me why I'm so big on the cadets arriving on time, and reminded them that they're paying for their kid to be here, so they might as well get the most out of it, their kid is missing out on instruction, their kid looks like a dufus strolling in 15 minutes late when everyone else is there (embarrassing), amongst other things. 

So do I chastise them?  Yes, but it in a way that signifies their obligation to let mom and dad know they're supposed to be on time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Майор Хаткевич

Since I was a cadet, and parent schedules WERE important early on...

I'd nag and nag to get out the door by XX:XX in order to make it to the meeting on time.

However, sometimes parents would come home a bit late from work, or doctors appointment, etc.

My first approach now would be to ask the cadet the reason. If it's a parent just back from work, then they are doing the best they can, and we can probably work something out. If it's just because they got a late start, then this is where they can be motivated to encourage an earlier departure time. 

Eclipse

Define "chastise".

And are we talking about habitual tardiness, or the occasional unusual circumstance?

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Ill relay my story about being late as a cadet.

I was often coming right in as they were falling in or just after.  My family was a one car family at the time, my dad would get home from work grab something to eat and we would hit the road for the 30 minute drive to CAP.  And at the time, my family had NO money and getting to CAP was a financial battle as it was.  All of the other cadets lived pretty close.  I didn't, and it was the closest CAP unit that had a cadet program.
I was always getting "counseled" and even "gigged" which was like a system of demerits or something (this was 25yrs ago so I don't really recall) I would repeatedly explain the circumstances and was always told it was my responsibility to get to CAP on time.  One cadet commander even told me I needed to talk to my dad about him getting off work early on CAP nights.  Yeah....OK.    If mom or dad or whoever is the cause of them being late, then lay off the cadet.  I recall always feeling like S--T because I was always being "dealt with" as one senior member put it, for something neither my parents or I had any control over.  It actually got to the point once that I was just going to quit CAP because I was getting so much flak over being 5-10 minutes late.  My parents didn't need reminded or their son chastised to know the importance of being on time.  So I would just suggest learning the details before anyone starts lecturing a cadet or worse, lecturing a parent and then finding out that them getting their son to CAP, even if its 10 minutes late is a major logistical and financial burden.  Nothing wrong with asking, but watch how you approach it or you may end up with an ear full from a parent who is doing everything they can just to be there at all. 

There was a period of time when I was in CAP that I remember going to the refrigerator and finding nothing but a couple apples and a bottle of ketchup or something like that in the refrigerator.  Later in life, I learned that there were days my dad went without lunch at work the next day because he used his "lunch money" for gas to get me to CAP and back.  Fortunately for him, CAP was thursday nights, and payday for him was friday.  So just tread lightly before anyone starts viewing late parents or cadets as people who need lectured about the importance of being on time.  And never have a cadet talk to the parents. 
They made it work, but it wasn't always easy for them.  My parents are pretty proud people who ran into some hard times related to medical bills and layoffs all at once back then. 

NIN

I lived a 25-30 minute drive from my unit BITD (that was a Wednesday, BTW).  My unit neglected to tell me that I actually lived about 4 miles from the *nearest* unit (gee, thanks). 

So Wednesday nights, mom would trundle my 9 year old brother and me into this old clunker of the Chevy station wagon we had and off I'd go to CAP (trying like heck not to get anything on my uniform from the car seats. Gosh, that car was a mess). Some days, we'd make it to the 7pm meeting by 6:45.  Sometimes, not till 6:58.  Didn't help that we were driving past like half the major auto plants in Southern Macomb County at the tail end of "rush hour."  When we had some friends in the unit who lived near us, our moms would trade off driving to CAP.  When my friend Eric's mom would drive, we would nearly universally be late, and when we'd go pick Eric up, he'd almost always was never ready in time.  Got to be a real drag.

But I was 15 and didn't have a license. I can tell my mom all day long "Hey, mom, we've gotta get Eric tonight, so we need to step by 1800," but when we pull up to Eric's and he's shooting hoops in his driveway in his civvies, we're gonna be a late.

And c/TSgt or not, I couldn't seem to get it thru his thick c/A1C skull that Wednesday nights he should be in his uniform by 1800, not getting sweaty on the pavement.

We would be late, bombing into the Jr High we met at while the squadron was standing inspection.  Uh oh.

And yeah, I got railed on: "Sergeant, why are you late?"  "Well, sir, my mom ran into traffic.."  "Well, your mom isn't a member of the squadron. You are."  "You're right, sir. But my mom has the car keys and the driver's license, and I don't.  If you'd like, I can have her come inside at the end of the meeting and you can yell at her yourself."  (Yeah, this attitude of mine was more of a problem causer than a problem solver..)

When I got my license a year later, it was different.  I was still late, but it was because I was a chowderhead.  Then the lesson was appropriate.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

People establish priorities based on their personal assessment of the level of urgency.
Why you're late doesn't change the fact that you're late.

Flying Pig, I can empathize with your personal situation, and the effort to get to CAP at all, but I don't see how that's really relevant to
the bigger discussion.  I get this all the time - paragraphs of reasons why people can't do "whatever" in CAP. In most cases, like yours,
the reasons are valid and sometimes non-negotiable, but at the end of the conversation, it doesn't usually matter the "why", especially
since in 99% of the cases, CAP has no way to impact the situation.

At encampment every year we see the same thing - somehow cadets are able to find a way to drive 6-8+ hours from another state
and still make it well before the gates are closed, yet local cadets with 1/4 of the drive are sliding under the entrance 5 minutes late - worse
still are the repeat offenders who know what a nightmare traffic South of the base can be yet still seem unable to plan, yet the ultimate answer is you're
either there, or you aren't.

Again, no younger cadet who's doing his best and dependent on others should be getting wall-to-walls about being a few minutes late once in a while,
but if it's habitual, it will impact their experience, and sets a bad tone for all of those who are on time.  And what about when compartitive decisions
have to be made for a staff job, etc.?  Should Cadet 1 not be penalized (compared to cadet 2) for his in ability to get to the unit on time
just because it's "not his fault"?

Another interesting phenomena I've encountered is the cadets who are involved in sports and CAP - the ones who would never dream of being late to a practice or miss a game, but who have no issues with being late to meetings and no call / no shows to CAP activities.  Why?  Because the coaches had drawn a line that says "you're late?, you're benched" and no one seems to have any issue with that, yet when CAP makes the occasional exception for
the same behavior, it quickly becomes the norm.

We have to have sensitivity and common sense in these matters, but again, why you're late or not there is generally irrelevant.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jquick

This topic is a slippery slope.   I agree with the fact that a cadet, who has the ability to self transport to drills, should be held to a standard, i.e. the meeting starts a 1830, so at 1831 your late.  With this being said, chastising, which I am assuming is not the what the author intended, as it implies punishment, or extreme discipline, is not appropriate if the cadet is being transported to drills by family.   When I was a cadet officer, and later a Cadet Programs Officer, there were acceptable reasons for being late. 

•   School related activities that conflicted with meeting times.
•   Family transporting
•   Auto Trouble

These are just a few that we would review on a case by case basis, and seeing as everyone on this rock has a cell phone, no one should be arriving late unannounced.  My recommendation is this, If said cadet is perpetually late, due to their parents, then the senior member staff of said SQ should do their jobs, and stress the importance to the parents directly.  This will avert a potential volatile  situation.  As a parent myself, if my child came home upset after being disciplined for something that was my fault, I would take issue with it.  DO NOT LET THIS SITUATION OCCUR!  I have had to deal with extremely angry parents who felt that their child was unfairly treated, and this situation is not good for anyone involved.  Remember, we are not the military, and can't enforce regulation with gross punishment.

In an issue such as this, you cadet officers need to bring this to the attention to senior member Sq staff, and Senior members need to step up and  do your jobs and discuss with the parents the importance of being to drills in a timely manner, for the continuity of the squadron.   
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." ~Alvin Toffler

knifehand

I don't see how this is a slippery slope... If they're late, they're late. The cadets need to learn that it is their duty as members of an organization that they signed up for and payed money for to show up to meetings or activities or whatever on time... Who cares if they can't drive? They can nag. And if they can't drive, don't hold it against them, just give them a hard time and make them feel like it's bad. Simple.

SarDragon

I think you need to throttle back on the harsh there, sunshine. It isn't polite to come into someone's forum and make like king of the hill after just a few posts.

We certainly welcome new members but there are rules.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

Quote from: knifehand on July 11, 2012, 01:50:48 AM
I don't see how this is a slippery slope... If they're late, they're late. The cadets need to learn that it is their duty as members of an organization that they signed up for and payed money for to show up to meetings or activities or whatever on time... Who cares if they can't drive? They can nag. And if they can't drive, don't hold it against them, just give them a hard time and make them feel like it's bad. Simple.

Ok. So I nag every week and they nag their parents. They feel bad, but nothing changes as their parents can't change it. They know late=bad. Now what?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

knifehand

Quote from: SarDragon on July 11, 2012, 02:17:13 AM
I think you need to throttle back on the harsh there, sunshine. It isn't polite to come into someone's forum and make like king of the hill after just a few posts.

So ban me. Freedom of speech, buck-o. We all have it, and if you don't like what I'm saying, please see the beginning of this post.

knifehand

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 11, 2012, 02:25:13 AM

Ok. So I nag every week and they nag their parents. They feel bad, but nothing changes as their parents can't change it. They know late=bad. Now what?

Nag directly to the parents.

Eclipse

They know late=bad. Now what?

Chronic lateness with no good excuse has to have ramifications.  Demerits, poor review board, etc.

People make choices and decide what is important.  No school would allow the behavior, nor would most
sports teams, why should CAP?

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: knifehand on July 11, 2012, 02:27:41 AM

So ban me. Freedom of speech, buck-o. We all have it, and if you don't like what I'm saying, please see the beginning of this post.

It's a private board, buck-o. The Mods make the rules and it's follow them or your gone, simple as that.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2012, 02:29:27 AM
They know late=bad. Now what?

Chronic lateness with no good excuse has to have ramifications.  Demerits, poor review board, etc.

Yup. Say parents can NOT make it sooner the 15 min after?  That is not the cadets fault, nor the parents life. Nagging won't change and gets everybody's blood pressure up.

In other cases, yes understood.
Quote from: knifehand on July 11, 2012, 02:28:38 AM

Nag directly to the parents.
Doesn't work. Now what?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

It's still not negotiable - the "why" isn't relevant to you as the commander, and if we're talking 15 minutes then there's likely a "give" somewhere.
If you're concerned to the point where just telling them "how it is" isn't acceptable, then restructure the meetings so he's not late - have something
less formal or do the "typical loose-format PD / BS" session (etc) at the beginning of the meeting and shoo people home on time.

There's really only two choices - either he changes or the unit changes.  Constant tardiness, regardless of the reason, sets a precedent you don't want for him and the others in the unit.

The other factor to consider is that the situation is only going to get worse - as he progresses and wants to attain leadership positions, the expectation will likely be that he's not only on time, but early to prepare for those in his charge.  Having a flight CC or higher coming in late every meeting just isn't going to be acceptable and will impact the experience for those in his flight, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

knifehand

Quote from: PHall on July 11, 2012, 02:30:01 AM
Quote from: knifehand on July 11, 2012, 02:27:41 AM

It's a private board, buck-o. The Mods make the rules and it's follow them or your gone, simple as that.

As was previously stated, in case you didn't read my comment Mr. Sir Person, THEN BAN ME.

knifehand

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2012, 03:15:20 AM
It's still not negotiable - the "why" isn't relevant to you as the commander, and if we're talking 15 minutes then there's likely a "give" somewhere.
If you're concerned to the point where just telling them "how it is" isn't acceptable, then restructure the meetings so he's not late - have something
less formal or do the "typical loose-format PD / BS" session (etc) at the beginning of the meeting and shoo people home on time.

There's really only two choices - either he changes or the unit changes.  Constant tardiness, regardless of the reason, sets a precedent you don't want for him and the others in the unit.

The other factor to consider is that the situation is only going to get worse - as he progresses and wants to attain leadership positions, the expectation will likely be that he's not only on time, but early to prepare for those in his charge.  Having a flight CC or higher coming in late every meeting just isn't going to be acceptable and will impact the experience for those in his flight, etc.

THIS.

/thread

CAP4117

Quote from: knifehand on July 11, 2012, 04:30:59 AM
As was previously stated, in case you didn't read my comment Mr. Sir Person, THEN BAN ME.

I see his request was granted  ;D

NIN

In the words of the immortal Russell Ziskey

"You're makin' friends fast, John."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Critical AOA

All those who want to get in a kid's face for being late to an activity such as a CAP meeting has issues of their own which need addressed.  Some of you people need to get a grip.  If I were to personally witness some of the behavior described here, that senior member would soon be looking a man in the face, not a little kid.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Garibaldi

Not for nothing, but WIWAC, my father worked for AT&T. They have one of the strictest attendance policies of any company out there. The saying went "Early is on time, on time is late". It was drilled into my head when I was old enough to start doing things other than school, like baseball practice, concerts where I was playing, social events and the like. To this day I can't stand being "on time" to an event that's important to me.

As nutzi as I am about all things CAP and trying to impart my wisdom to a new generation, I realize that it's just impossible. I've corrected cadets' rank insignia only to find that they "forget" the next week and have it exactly the way I found it. When we go on SAREXES and GT training I tell them to be at the hangar 15 minutes before the time we leave, and they are still late. I see cadets waltzing into meetings halfway through opening formation and just...wander over to their flight and fall in. It's not really the fault of the cadet, but I believe the organization. Obviously getting in a cadet's face and yelling isn't going to solve the problem NOW, but perhaps finding the root cause like I believe some folks have suggested and finding a mutually beneficial solution would help.

I know that the first time I showed up late to an FTX for reasons that were not my fault (staying with mom for the weekend and she hadn't subscribed to dad's attendance mantra) and finding everyone gone, really set it in her head that MAYBE I need to get there earlier from now on, because instead of having a weekend to herself she was stuck with a petulant 14 year old who moaned and whined all weekend.

Just my two cent's worth.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 11, 2012, 02:35:16 PM
All those who want to get in a kid's face for being late to an activity such as a CAP meeting has issues of their own which need addressed.  Some of you people need to get a grip.  If I were to personally witness some of the behavior described here, that senior member would soon be looking a man in the face, not a little kid.

What behavior?

Expecting a cadet to meet the high standard of being on time?

As above, show up to an FTX late, you may not go.

Show for an encampment after the gates are locked? Sorry, base rules.

Show for a military o ride after the plane has taxied? Can't help.

Academy test or NCSA board? Next.

Life does not wait because you have circumstance. This is a lesson we provide our members.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thrashed

Sorry, but life doesn't revolve around CAP. People are busy. I'm busy. I'm the deputy commander and I take my kids. They got yelled at once for being late right in front of me. I told the cadet yelling at them, "I drove them, do you have a problem?" I work for a living and I get there when I get there. I do believe being on time is important, but it can't always be done, so relax.

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrashed on July 11, 2012, 03:48:41 PM
Sorry, but life doesn't revolve around CAP. People are busy. I'm busy.

No one is saying it does / should.  Only that CAP doesn't wait for you, either.

Now, this issue of people being chastised in public, or worse, dressed down is separate.  It's one thing to make an off-handed comment
intended to make the point without making a big deal about it, but anything beyond that should handled directly but privately, especially
if its a chronic situation.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: CAP4117 on July 11, 2012, 05:11:06 AM

Not bad, went from joining to banned in less then 12 hours. >:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: PHall on July 12, 2012, 12:47:25 AM

3 hours and 17 min.  Probably a captalk record.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Garibaldi

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 12, 2012, 02:16:19 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 12, 2012, 12:47:25 AM

3 hours and 17 min.  Probably a captalk record.

who was that masked man?

AngelWings

Yup. I think that was the only Christmas gift he is getting this year besides coal based on his attitude.

SarDragon

Since Mr Chowdah-head is gone, we probably ought to get back on topic before a "Mike Strike" gets called in.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nathan

I should get SOME recognition for creating a thread so controversial that it got a guy banned within hours of joining the fray.  :)

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2012, 07:32:16 PM
Quote from: Thrashed on July 11, 2012, 03:48:41 PM
Sorry, but life doesn't revolve around CAP. People are busy. I'm busy.

No one is saying it does / should.  Only that CAP doesn't wait for you, either.

I'm seeing both sides of the argument, and I think it has to do with the difference between what SHOULD happen, and what CAN happen.

What SHOULD happen is that all cadets should be arriving on time for meetings. The commander has a schedule to fill and credits to meet, and in order to fulfill these criteria, cadets need to be present. Not only that, but cadets who show up late set the precedent that it's okay to show up late, so maybe one day a normally punctual cadet will decide to finish his television show, since apparently no one cares if anyone shows up ten minutes late. That's a problem.

On the other hand, unless a cadet is driving him/herself, there may not be much we can ACTUALLY do to fix this problem. If the parent can't be there on time, then that's simply the way it is, and unless we intend to kick the cadet out (which would be ridiculous), then we have to find another solution.

Which, by the way, almost always exists. However, the normal cadet staff method of handling the problem is asking why the cadet is late, then accepting no other answer than "no excuse." Don't be that guy. Here's a better option:

1) Talk with the cadet first, and figure out why he/she is late. If the cadet is the problem, then try to solve it here. If you can't, then it's indicative of larger motivational problems.

2) If the cadet isn't responsible, talk to the parents, with the same intent. If the parents simply aren't getting out the door on time, then explaining the importance of punctuality and the meeting activities might be all it takes for the parents to leave ten minutes earlier. If there are unresolvable scheduling issues, however, then you can try moving on to step three.

3) If the parent cannot get there any earlier, then you as the commander (or a delegate) can try to work out the issue yourself. Are there any other cadets or parents who live close who might be able to pick the cadet up at an earlier time?

4) If this isn't possible, then the only options that involve the cadet not failing the program due to circumstances outside his/her control are to change the meeting format. This can include starting at a later time, scheduling non-essential activities at the beginning of the meetings, moving meeting nights, or opening the building for a few hours every other weekend so that cadets can optionally come make-up tests, study, practice their drill, or whatever.

To answer my own question, nine times out of ten, a cadet who bothers to show up for a meeting is doing so because he/she WANTS to be there, and isn't missing out on purpose. I have no problems holding cadets responsible for the things they can control, but when we start holding them responsible for the things they can't control, then we're only going to end up frustrating them.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Nathan on July 19, 2012, 06:38:32 PM
I should get SOME recognition for creating a thread so controversial that it got a guy banned within hours of joining the fray.  :)

You are hereby awarded the CAPTalk Thread Award with propeller clasp.

RogueLeader

However, the normal cadet staff method of handling the problem is asking why the cadet is late, then accepting no other answer than "no excuse."

I can not stand it when somebody tells me "no excuse, sir!"
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PA Guy

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 19, 2012, 07:20:03 PM

+1.  That response drives me up a wall.

Major Lord

A common leadership thinking error is failing to distinguish between "fault" and "responsibility" . If I am walking along and get struck by a metorite, whining about it not being my "fault" is just rationalization. Having that 2000 degree chunk of stone perforate my body is sure as heck, my responsibility. Holding Cadet's responsible is a separable issue from finding them at fault.

Major Lord
FYI, "No excuse" is code for "Pound sand".
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

+1

The high points from two good articles this week from AoM (good information there regardless of gender):

Why Is Being Punctual Important?

"I have always been a quarter of an hour before my time, and it has made a man of me." -Horatio, Lord Nelson

• Being punctual strengthens and reveals your integrity.

Being punctual shows you are dependable.

Being punctual builds your self-confidence.

Being punctual assures you're at your best.

Being punctual builds and reveals your discipline.

Being punctual shows your humility.

Being punctual shows your respect for others.

Being late is a form of stealing.

Being late disturbs the experiences of other people.

Being late strains your relationships.

Being late hurts your professional career.

Being late takes a toll on your life.

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/07/16/a-man-is-punctual-the-importance-of-being-on-time/
http://artofmanliness.com/2012/07/18/a-man-is-punctual-the-reasons-youre-late-and-how-to-always-be-on-time/

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

However, the normal cadet staff method of handling the problem is asking why the cadet is late, then accepting no other answer than "no excuse."

It's a response from the poor leadership guidance I've seen people take home from environments where such response is the only accepted one for training reasons IE basic training or encampment. It is extremely poor and serves no purpose.

RogueLeader

Quote from: AngelWings on July 19, 2012, 08:25:08 PM

It's a response from the poor leadership guidance I've seen people take home from environments where such response is the only accepted one for training reasons IE basic training or encampment. It is extremely poor and serves no purpose.

Just say I don't care, or I'm too lazy to do it right.  Those are reasons, not excuses.  I want reasons.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 19, 2012, 10:42:06 PM
Quote from: AngelWings on July 19, 2012, 08:25:08 PM

Just say I don't care, or I'm too lazy to do it right.  Those are reasons, not excuses.  I want reasons.
Some leadership trains their cadets that saying anything other than that is unacceptable and that saying no excuse is the only correct answer. It's the leadership training cadets to make them not have an answer so things go by quicker, so the cadet feels like they did something bad, and so the leadership doesn't have to do anything.

Critical AOA

Quote from: AngelWings on July 19, 2012, 11:23:41 PM
Some leadership trains their cadets that saying anything other than that is unacceptable and that saying no excuse is the only correct answer. It's the leadership training cadets to make them not have an answer so things go by quicker, so the cadet feels like they did something bad, and so the leadership doesn't have to do anything.

That is pretty lame and I am reluctant to use the term leadership in referring to those who train cadets in that fashion.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AngelWings

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 19, 2012, 11:36:12 PM

That is pretty lame and I am reluctant to use the term leadership in referring to those who train cadets in that fashion.
I use it in the most loosest sense. I've witnessed it before, and then heard talks about it.

Critical AOA

Quote from: AngelWings on July 19, 2012, 11:47:44 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 19, 2012, 11:36:12 PM

I use it in the most loosest sense. I've witnessed it before, and then heard talks about it.

Understood.