Why so many homeschoolers?

Started by cadetesman, April 22, 2012, 10:39:34 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2012, 01:46:22 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2012, 01:42:50 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2012, 01:26:41 PM
A recent Pew Center study suggested that 1 in 5 teens are bullied.

Part of that is in how you define bullying, which these days seems to include every time someone calls you "Mr. Poopy Pants".

Well, verbal bullying has proven to be a big, high-profile issue. Just look at the rash of teen suicides over the past few years due to cyber bullying.

One is too many, but it's not a "rash", it's just "new" - teenagers are sensitive, and the media blows that way out of proportion.  In the majority of cases you have a troubled young person with serious issues who has been basically ignored by the parents and school, someone starts harassing them
on Facebook, and then the entirety of the issue is blamed on the social nonsense.

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2012, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2012, 01:46:22 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2012, 01:42:50 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2012, 01:26:41 PM
A recent Pew Center study suggested that 1 in 5 teens are bullied.

Part of that is in how you define bullying, which these days seems to include every time someone calls you "Mr. Poopy Pants".

Well, verbal bullying has proven to be a big, high-profile issue. Just look at the rash of teen suicides over the past few years due to cyber bullying.

One is too many, but it's not a "rash", it's just "new" - teenagers are sensitive, and the media blows that way out of proportion.  In the majority of cases you have a troubled young person with serious issues who has been basically ignored by the parents and school, someone starts harassing them
on Facebook, and then the entirety of the issue is blamed on the social nonsense.

Not to downplay what is a serious issue for some, but I have to agree with Eclipse that cyber bullying is a social trouble for some that has been hijacked and blown out of proportion by the media.  While it may affect some strongly, most kids shrug it off and move on with their lives (speaking from personal experience).  I've always thought that this comic sums it up pretty well (be advised, it contains mid-heavy level profanity for those of you who are offended by such things)

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&biw=1280&bih=611&tbm=isch&tbnid=OsEE-u0osbNjoM:&imgrefurl=http://endlessorigami.com/2011/11/29/cyber-bullying/&docid=IBsFI0d3XL0_8M&imgurl=http://endlessorigami.com/comics/2011-11-29-cyber_bullying.png&w=649&h=1228&ei=-riWT-evIYfA6AGf1dSxDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=475&vpy=99&dur=413&hovh=304&hovw=160&tx=69&ty=179&sig=112613031603312005399&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=70&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:71

That being said, there are individuals for whom this is a legitimate issue; however I firmly believe that those issues arise from (as alluded to by Eclipse) a marked lack of parental involvement in their children's lives.  You cannot take a demographic which is known for being relatively harsh to each other (teens/young adults), put them in an environment which GUARANTEES a certain level of anonymity(the interwebs), and expect them to NOT say or do hurtful things.   

Flying Pig

My kids were homeschooled for years.  Ive met just as many socially awkward kids in public school as I have met in any of my kids homeschool groups.  We have kids in our group who are juniors seniors in high school (as far as homeschool goes) and are also taking course at the local comunity college.  One girl is almost done with her AA and she hasnt even finished HS yet.  Ive never been called to a home school group to seize drugs or break up a gang fight.
When I was a SqCC a very large number of the cadets were home schooled.  They were usually the most polite and excelled in CAP.  They are all involved in multiple sports.  My son managed to place 4th in central CA in his age group for the breast stroke.  And that isnt a homoeschool swim club, finals had probably 800+ swimmers. 
A "normal" home schooled kid cant be lumped into the same group as a kid who is homeschooled because of emotional or legal issues.  Thats a whole different world. 
As far as socialization?  Please.  Of the probably 30+ kids in the local group were the funnest kids to hang out with.  Many have gone on you well known universities and received scholarships.  There are homeschooling parents who are lazy and sit their kids in front of the TV all day and there are parents who go to great lengths to get their kids pretty good educations and spend thousands of dollars a year to do it.  No different than parents who use the public school system as a day car for 8hrs a day and doesnt know where their kids homeroom is.

CAP is a great organization for hoomeschooling kids.  What better way to motivate your cadet than to have CAP count towards your graduation!

Nathan

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 24, 2012, 03:00:40 PM
What better way to motivate your cadet than to have CAP count towards your graduation!

Requiring CAP participation for graduation isn't motivational or an example of volunteerism...
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

68w20

Flying Pig

I didnt say require.  But when your kid is in CAP, and you can use that participation towards graduating then AWESOME!  No diffferent the AFJROTC counting towards graduation in High School.

Nathan

Quote from: 68w10 on April 24, 2012, 03:33:26 PM
... count towards your graduation!

When did the OP say require?

I've done seen it happen. There was a squadron near mine that had many cadets who were homeschoolers, and I heard about two confirmed cases where the parents used CAP study time to count toward science credit, even when that studying went toward leadership tests. This was required studying by them, and they immediately left CAP after they were done with school.
Nathan Scalia

68w20

Quote from: Nathan on April 24, 2012, 03:44:37 PM
Quote from: 68w10 on April 24, 2012, 03:33:26 PM
... count towards your graduation!

When did the OP say require?

I've done seen it happen. There was a squadron near mine that had many cadets who were homeschoolers, and I heard about two confirmed cases where the parents used CAP study time to count toward science credit, even when that studying went toward leadership tests. This was required studying by them, and they immediately left CAP after they were done with school.

I see nothing wrong with that situation.  I know plenty of former Cadets that were in the program throughout high school and then quit after for one reason or another.  How many Cadets have you had that used participation to pad their resumes for college/service academy applications and then left the program after they were accepted?  How is that any different than using CAP AE and Leadership modules to count towards graduation?

Eclipse

^ Unfortunate but not unusual.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nathan

Quote from: 68w10 on April 24, 2012, 03:47:50 PM
I see nothing wrong with that situation.  I know plenty of former Cadets that were in the program throughout high school and then quit after for one reason or another.  How many Cadets have you had that used participation to pad their resumes for college/service academy applications and then left the program after they were accepted?  How is that any different than using CAP AE and Leadership modules to count towards graduation?

The problem is that, out of the many different classes I have taught and programs I have helped create, I have never once attempted to craft a program that can match up to a high-school level science class. Ever.

So when I get told that parents are using the 3 hours a week I'm responsible for as "science credit" or to "count toward school graduation", I'm left wondering why they think that my program is good enough to satisfy that requirement when I myself do not. I think that I have run a pretty successful program designed to meet CAP's needs, and have seen squadrons in worse shape than my own in meeting these criteria. I believe I do good work and teach the cadets a lot of good skills. But enough to count as part of a formal education in the sciences? I have NEVER tried to teach an aerospace class with the belief that a student can actually claim a junior high or high school-level understanding of the physics behind how a wing works.

And I rather resent being placed with those kinds of responsibilities by parents against my will. I do not feel that I am qualified to teach high-school level science material, and do not aim to do so. I aim to meet the requirements set by Civil Air Patrol. The program was not designed to meet the standards of a high school science class.
Nathan Scalia

68w20

Quote from: Nathan on April 24, 2012, 03:56:31 PM
Quote from: 68w10 on April 24, 2012, 03:47:50 PM

The problem is that, out of the many different classes I have taught and programs I have helped create, I have never once attempted to craft a program that can match up to a high-school level science class. Ever.

So when I get told that parents are using the 3 hours a week I'm responsible for as "science credit" or to "count toward school graduation", I'm left wondering why they think that my program is good enough to satisfy that requirement when I myself do not. I think that I have run a pretty successful program designed to meet CAP's needs, and have seen squadrons in worse shape than my own in meeting these criteria. I believe I do good work and teach the cadets a lot of good skills. But enough to count as part of a formal education in the sciences? I have NEVER tried to teach an aerospace class with the belief that a student can actually claim a junior high or high school-level understanding of the physics behind how a wing works.

And I rather resent being placed with those kinds of responsibilities by parents against my will. I do not feel that I am qualified to teach high-school level science material, and do not aim to do so. I aim to meet the requirements set by Civil Air Patrol. The program was not designed to meet the standards of a high school science class.

I get where you're coming from, but let's take a look at what National says about our AE program:

http://www.capmembers.com/aerospace_education/aerospace-education-introduction/

I may be reading too much into it, but it seems to me that Aerospace Dimensions was specifically designed to provide a middle school-level understanding of aerospace topics.  National's AE page specifically recommends its curriculum for homeschoolers.  You are not required to teach a secondary level science class.  You are, however, required to supervise the administration of the AE program; a program which National designed for middle schoolers.  Do you understand why homeschoolers would see this curriculum as an opportunity to provide one of the required science credits?

Nathan

What I see is the term "middle-school level" being used to describe the complexity of the materials. Not that the materials or the program itself provides a middle-school level of education.

Sort of like when I say that the book "Captain Underpants" is a first-grade reading level, I'm not advocating that first graders should read the book to qualify for second grade, but rather that children below first grade will probably struggle with it.

Not only that, but notice how much emphasis is being put on TEACHERS using the material. I am not a school-level teacher. I do not claim to be a teacher in that sense of the term. Teachers are generally supposed to have a greater understanding of the material than the text alone can provide, and I cannot claim this, since my understanding of the material is based entirely off what the modules provide. I have no doubt that a teacher could teach an aerospace class to a middle-school expectation because they are a TEACHER. But there is no requirement for any member of CAP serving in the cadet programs to be a qualified teacher.

Also remember that I have not been vetted by any academic institution. Even if I had a perfectly credible curriculum for a middle school science credit (which I don't), the fact is that I still don't have to answer to anyone outside of CAP if I fail to meet those standards. I don't have to prove that I know what I'm talking about, nor can I be held responsible if the homeschooled student fails a standardized test because I told him the sun revolved around the Earth. I am simply not subject to anyone's scrutiny when you decide to trust ME to teach your children science to the level of a middle or high school student.

Are you seeing the problems I have with the concept?

EDIT: clarification
Nathan Scalia

Flying Pig

But then you have someone like me who used to teach to a homeschool group and Im a dual rated CFI.  Im pretty comfortable teaching aerodynamics to the point of a middle school  level.  Have you ever been part of setting up an accredited home school ciriculum?  Meaning that when you graduate 12th grade you actually have a recognized HS diploma?  I know homeschool kids who have gone on to military academies, joined the military, you name it. You cant get away with teaching CAP in place of a science class 7th grade- 12th.  Doesnt work that way.  If your just a parent keeping your kid home and teaching them off the cuff, your not going to have a recognized HS grad diploma.  Youd probably have to take the GED.  We can go back and forth all day with experiences.  Any level of experiences of failures in homeschool, I can point to the exact same failures and worse in public education. In homeschooling, its all up the dedication level of the parents. If mom and dad are lazy then it will reflect.  If mom and dad are solid then it will reflect as well.   

Spaceman3750

There are some commercial programs which are attached to an accredited private HS offering a high school diploma at completion. A Beka Book offers one such program with graduation through Pensacola Christian Academy.

68w20

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 24, 2012, 06:26:16 PM
Have you ever been part of setting up an accredited home school ciriculum?  Meaning that when you graduate 12th grade you actually have a recognized HS diploma?  I know homeschool kids who have gone on to military academies, joined the military, you name it. You cant get away with teaching CAP in place of a science class 7th grade- 12th.  Doesnt work that way.  If your just a parent keeping your kid home and teaching them off the cuff, your not going to have a recognized HS grad diploma.  Youd probably have to take the GED.

While your point is received, this section isn't entirely true.  One of the simultaneous blessings and curses of homeschooling in the U.S. is that it varies by state.  For example, Illinois (where I was homeschooled) recognizes homeschools as private schools.  This meant that my brother and I (my sister was also homeschooled for the majority of her education, however she recently chose to attend a local private school and will complete her diploma there) were both awarded recognized HS diplomas upon graduation.  In my brother's case, this diploma was sufficient for enlistment.  I had completed an AGE before enlisting, so I wasn't required to present a diploma in order to enlist.

Flying Pig

What I thought I conveyed was that the programs are out there. You just have to be smart enough (as a parent) to do it that way.  Its expensive adn takes a lot of work.

commando1

Quote from: John Bryan on April 23, 2012, 11:18:10 PM

2. The SAT and ACT scores show it.....the number of cadets where I am from who are home schooled and starting college at 15 or 16 show....home school is as good or better then public school most of the time. Yes there are cases of kids being home schooled and not being taught but there are as many stories from failing public schools.
I'm one of those guys...I graduated at 16 ;D
Edit: Clarification
Non Timebo Mala

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: commando1 on April 25, 2012, 12:26:50 AM
Quote from: John Bryan on April 23, 2012, 11:18:10 PM

2. The SAT and ACT scores show it.....the number of cadets where I am from who are home schooled and starting college at 15 or 16 show....home school is as good or better then public school most of the time. Yes there are cases of kids being home schooled and not being taught but there are as many stories from failing public schools.
I'm one of those guys...I graduated at 16 ;D
Edit: Clarification
I graduate at 18 with my A.A. and half my A.S.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Flying Pig

OK, fine your 18, have two degrees, yada yada yada......But how are your social skills?   >:D

Thats what my kids were always asked.  "Dont you miss having friends?"  Ummm....yeah.  Because we keep them locked in a closet!  Both of my kids, 13 and 11 can walk into just about any group and make friends, arent the slightest bit shy and we as parents often get compliments about how polite they are.  My son does my neighbors yard for $10 a week because HIS 13 yr old wont get off the couch because hes a freakin clown.  Not even for the same $10.

My biggest hassle with my son is getting him to brush his teeth, and keepnig my daughter from wearing mis matched socks and painting her finger nails with Sharpies!  Oh the horror!