Independent Study

Started by ElectricPenguin, February 06, 2012, 12:58:27 AM

LGM30GMCC

Remember you will be in a foreign and only-kinda-sorta friendly nation. You are not a diplomat and therefore completely subject to the laws of the country in which you reside. I would concur with the assessments of the poor consequences of trying to circumvent the PRC government. Take it as an opportunity to learn about another culture. There is opportunity there and if there is some way to accomplish/continue in the CP that would be excellent, though unlikely.

Also be nice to your janitors. And if a group of bullies seems to be wanting to beat you up for looking at the local you find attractive you may be surprised who helps you. You may then learn new lessons about respect, yourself and your inner strength. In the end you may well rise above the bullies and be able to face them one at a time and gain their respect...j/k  8)

Johnny Yuma

Any way to avoid going over there? Despite all of their smiles and their buying our debt they're not really an ally of ours.

Unless you're a dependent of a US.gov employee I can't see you having much access online back here into anything CAP, period. Even if you try, you're going to be on the radar of the Chinese .mil and intel networks, which isn't a good place for anyone to be.

You mention Florida Air Academy. How will you be schooled in China? American schools, American educators? I'd be checking on how this would affect your admissions.

Just IMHO, but these are strange times. If I could find a way not to live overseas right now I'd stay at home.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

BillB

During the middle of the Cold War, I had a cadet in a Squadron I was Commanding go to Russia. I snail mailed tests to him and they were proctored by the cadets parents. (who were also CAP members) Got an OK from National to do this due to Test Security. The cadet mailed back video tapes of his PT testing and got a local church representative to provide the Moral Leadership postion of the testing. Worrked out OK.  He was only in Russia for about 18 months but completed five achievements while there. Couldn't do more because of time tests or material was in mail transit.
It took a gazillion phone calls to National to resolve problems and get the OK's. The cadet took him Mitchell by driving over 100 miles to Moscow and getting the Military Affairs Officer to proctor thetests and talk to a military Chaplain for the moral leadership postion. This was apperently the first time National had this come up but it was doable.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 06, 2012, 08:17:51 AM
Remember you will be in a foreign and only-kinda-sorta friendly nation. You are not a diplomat and therefore completely subject to the laws of the country in which you reside. I would concur with the assessments of the poor consequences of trying to circumvent the PRC government. Take it as an opportunity to learn about another culture. There is opportunity there and if there is some way to accomplish/continue in the CP that would be excellent, though unlikely.

Also be nice to your janitors. And if a group of bullies seems to be wanting to beat you up for looking at the local you find attractive you may be surprised who helps you. You may then learn new lessons about respect, yourself and your inner strength. In the end you may well rise above the bullies and be able to face them one at a time and gain their respect...j/k  8)

Ah, if only. Also, I think you mean the maintenance man.  ;D

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on February 06, 2012, 08:22:10 AM
Any way to avoid going over there? Despite all of their smiles and their buying our debt they're not really an ally of ours.

Unless you're a dependent of a US.gov employee I can't see you having much access online back here into anything CAP, period. Even if you try, you're going to be on the radar of the Chinese .mil and intel networks, which isn't a good place for anyone to be.

You mention Florida Air Academy. How will you be schooled in China? American schools, American educators? I'd be checking on how this would affect your admissions.

Just IMHO, but these are strange times. If I could find a way not to live overseas right now I'd stay at home.

The F.A.A. is a high school, not the AF Academy.  :o Looks like I will be going to a Chinese school within China.

BillB> Thanks!!! Hopefully I will become an officer by the end of summer...

ElectricPenguin

https://www.securitales.com/

^^^ May be risky, but a cadet will do many things to promote...  ;D

a2capt

QuoteSimply put: Our service works from anywhere.
Until it's blocked. ;)

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: a2capt on February 06, 2012, 11:12:30 PM
Until it's blocked. ;)

Yes, well... I'm sure I can get someone here in the US to install some type of remote desktop software to take online test.

http://www.rdmplus.com/

davidsinn

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 07, 2012, 12:23:52 AM
Until it's blocked. ;)

Yes, well... I'm sure I can get someone here in the US to install some type of remote desktop software to take online test.

You really want to try and circumvent the great firewall of China from inside China? Have you lost your mind? They shoot people for less over there.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: davidsinn on February 07, 2012, 12:35:26 AM
Until it's blocked. ;)

You really want to try and circumvent the great firewall of China from inside China? Have you lost your mind? They shoot people for less over there.

If I do RDM, then how would they know?

http://greatfirewallofchina.org/index.php?siteurl=www.capnhq.gov    Fail...

http://greatfirewallofchina.org/index.php?siteurl=www.gocivilairpatrol.com

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 07, 2012, 12:51:02 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 07, 2012, 12:35:26 AM
Until it's blocked. ;)

If I do RDM, then how would they know? Besides, I will be staying at one of the mayors houses. Considered a guest.  :-X

You are not a diplomat, you are a foreign national. Big difference. Are you really that naive that you think that cannot be tracked? I work in educational technology. A single content filter is capable of logging and/or filtering every byte that enters and leaves our network. If a lowly school district can do that with an off-the-shelf product, what do you think the Chinese government is capable of?

ElectricPenguin

You are not a diplomat, you are a foreign national. Big difference. Are you really that naive that you think that cannot be tracked? I work in educational technology. A single content filter is capable of logging and/or filtering every byte that enters and leaves our network. If a lowly school district can do that with an off-the-shelf product, what do you think the Chinese government is capable of?
[/quote]

You don't need to be a horses rear. I was halfway kidding.

davidsinn

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 07, 2012, 12:55:00 AM

He wasn't. He was trying to get the point across that you could be shot for doing this. China is not a friendly country. It is a totalitarian communist regime.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: davidsinn on February 07, 2012, 12:59:14 AM
Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 07, 2012, 12:55:00 AM

He wasn't. He was trying to get the point across that you could be shot for doing this. China is not a friendly country. It is a totalitarian communist regime.

I realize that. I will just use snail mail.
https://www.securitales.com/ Doesn't even work there anyways. 

jks19714

I have an uneasy feeling that we will be reading about this cadet in the paper (and not in a good way).  And consider the problems which this might cause your parents and the possible impact on their employment.

CAP is not worth the trouble that you could get in.  Have a serious talk with your parents if you insist on this course of action.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: jks19714 on February 07, 2012, 01:21:58 AM
I have an uneasy feeling that we will be reading about this cadet in the paper (and not in a good way).

CAP is not worth the trouble that you could get in.  Have a serious talk with your parents if you insist on this course of action.

I never said I was going to do any of this. Just speculating. I will talk with the squadron and get the process started.

ZigZag911

Perhaps -- depending on how far you will be living from Beijing...you could arrange through National to test with someone working for the Air Attache at the US embassy....paper or cyber, at least it keeps you clear of trying to get around Chinese rules (never a good idea to upset your hosts!).

Extremepredjudice

Remote access won't work. All of them use encryption, and encryption is illegal in china.

Circumventing wouldn't work. They'd catch you in a year.

Paper tests, or forget about CAP.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: ZigZag911 on February 07, 2012, 02:48:14 AM
Perhaps -- depending on how far you will be living from Beijing...you could arrange through National to test with someone working for the Air Attache at the US embassy....paper or cyber, at least it keeps you clear of trying to get around Chinese rules (never a good idea to upset your hosts!).

Good point! I will see if it can be done.

Extremepredjudice> Ok

N Harmon

Are you kidding me? Forget about CAP tests. You have a very unique opportunity to live abroad and immerse yourself in a foreign language and culture. Embrace that. Learn about the customs, the manners. Find what you like and don't like. Write a book about your experience. CAP will be here when you get back.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron