Independent Study

Started by ElectricPenguin, February 06, 2012, 12:58:27 AM

ElectricPenguin

There is a 80% chance I will be moving to China. Anyone know some details on how I can still be in CAP and promote? As I have heard in the past that there is some type of system to where I could do this.  I will still be coming back to the US a few times a year for encampment and such.

ElectricPenguin

Spaceman3750

52-16 allows NHQ to grant permission to cadets to progress via independent study, on a case-by-case basis. Contact NHQ/CP through channels for more details.

There was another person posting on this topic awhile back. I never heard what happened.

davidsinn

It probably will not work for technical reasons. The great firewall of China would most likely block the .gov that eServices resides on. If you can't test you can't promote.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: davidsinn on February 06, 2012, 01:46:24 AM
It probably will not work for technical reasons. The great firewall of China would most likely block the .gov that eServices resides on. If you can't test you can't promote.

Surely NHQ has something for cases like this! Maybe paper test?  :-[

davidsinn

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 06, 2012, 01:52:03 AM

I doubt it. I wouldn't invest the money in something that would only be used once or twice in a decade. How many cadets move to China?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: davidsinn on February 06, 2012, 01:54:48 AM

I doubt it. I wouldn't invest the money in something that would only be used once or twice in a decade. How many cadets move to China?

I don't know, I don't work at NHQ.

davidsinn

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 06, 2012, 02:02:59 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 06, 2012, 01:54:48 AM

I don't know, I don't work at NHQ.

We only have 25k cadets or so. It can't be many that's for sure. I would suggest looking into it but be prepared for the fact that you might just be screwed.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spaceman3750

This is a good point, and something I brought up in the last thread (if it doesn't block the .gov, encryption is banned there IIRC). Personally, I'm not sure I would want to attract attention to myself like that while in China.

SarDragon

Where in China? Taiwan? Hong Kong? Mainland?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ElectricPenguin

SarDragon

OK, mainland. It looks like you are pretty well screwed. How long will you be there?

You can maintain your present unit affiliation, and take a leave of absence, if you'll have enough cadet time left.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: SarDragon on February 06, 2012, 02:24:20 AM
OK, mainland. It looks like you are pretty well screwed. How long will you be there?

You can maintain your present unit affiliation, and take a leave of absence, if you'll have enough cadet time left.

Atleast a year. I am trying to get myself into the Florida Air Academy.

Daniel

So your stepdad will be working for the chinese, and you won't be on base...

I would talk to NHQ like umpteen others have said..

Anyone know if its legal to just go around the great firewall?

for the record, facebook and youtube are currently blocked in china...

so you might have an interesting time on chinanet.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Daniel on February 06, 2012, 05:31:51 AM

I don't have any hard data to back this up, but my gut says it's a bad idea. It's technically possible, and searching says it's frequently done, but I the idea of Chinese black helicopters is enough to make me think twice...

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 06, 2012, 05:44:17 AM

I don't have any hard data to back this up, but my gut says it's a bad idea. It's technically possible, and searching says it's frequently done, but I the idea of Chinese black helicopters is enough to make me think twice...

Yea, use OpenDNS, next thing you know the chinese secret police are knocking at your door ready to take you to one of those lovely labor camps.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

a2capt

Your current unit may work with you, too. If I had an opportunity to live a year in China I can't say I'd turn it down, either. But if you're in of range of an APO/FPO/DPO address, you're mail connection to the US mainland is practically the same as domestic service. (There's a few limitations on parcel contents, but letter mail is the same). Likewise, if you have such access you probably have access to Real Internet. Building a stadium, unless it's in a diplomatic compound, I doubt it, though.

It's probably one thing to use the internet, and find ways around it, and quite another thing to share that with people you meet there. :)

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: a2capt on February 06, 2012, 06:05:49 AM
Your current unit may work with you, too. If I had an opportunity to live a year in China I can't say I'd turn it down, either. But if you're in of range of an APO/FPO/DPO address, you're mail connection to the US mainland is practically the same as domestic service. (There's a few limitations on parcel contents, but letter mail is the same). Likewise, if you have such access you probably have access to Real Internet. Building a stadium, unless it's in a diplomatic compound, I doubt it, though.

It's probably one thing to use the internet, and find ways around it, and quite another thing to share that with people you meet there. :)

I thought of useing skype screen share for test, but skype is blocked too.

They want the stadium, not us. I suspect it will be huge, as the top will slide off.

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on February 06, 2012, 06:05:49 AM

I think I can say with Ivory Soap certainty that APO/FPO/DPO service will be unavailable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 06, 2012, 05:44:17 AM

It isn't hard to get past the firewall. I have some ideas. DEFINITLY not a good idea. Don't try it. Period.

They track everything over there. If you do get past, you will be helping build that stadium, and not in a good way.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"