Which would give more leadership experience? LESA or Winter Encampment.

Started by xray328, July 22, 2015, 06:52:09 PM

xray328

First, I can't thank everyone enough for their support to not only me but to my kids as they begin their life in CAP, thanks for tolerating all the noob questions.

My son and I were discussing his plans over Christmas break and next summer.  He's going to be a Sophomore and got a late start at all this and his primary reason he joined CAP was to obtain leadership experience. He's attending his first encampment Friday as an C/Amn. He can either attend an out of state encampment (Kansas) or LESA over winter break. He doesn't want to waist any opportunities because of the late start. ES training is invaluable and we both clearly see the benefit of LESA for both ES and Leadership, and that's how we're leaning.  Given two cadets side by side and everything else being equal, what would you rather see?

NC Hokie

IMHO, a second encampment has no leadership value if the cadet is not on staff, and I think it would be difficult for your son to get a staff position at the Kansas encampment because of his low rank (he would be a C/SrA or a fresh C/SSgt by then) and being an out-of-state cadet.  If a staff position cannot be guaranteed, LESA is your best bet.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

xray328

That's in line with what we were thinking.  Would the Kansas encampment possibly lead to a staff position in the Spring? Or in that regard would LESA hold as much weight?

NC Hokie

Quote from: xray328 on July 22, 2015, 07:24:50 PM
That's in line with what we were thinking.  Would the Kansas encampment possibly lead to a staff position in the Spring? Or in that regard would LESA hold as much weight?

My opinion holds no weight in your wing, but encampment student, LESA, and C/TSgt (or higher) is a better resume than encampment student, encampment student, C/TSgt.  Also, the encampment selection board may remember him from LESA when it comes time to apply for a position next spring.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

xray328

Offutteer

Not to throw a monkey-wrench into the thinking but....

The Kansas Winter "Event" is more than just an encampment.  They have other opportunities, such as Honor Guard, and I thought one or two other courses along with encampment.  He might want to review those opportunities before deciding.  Someone posted about the staff jobs that are open, but your son would probably be looking at the courses itself, rather than positions.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=19984.msg368205#msg368205

http://www.kswg.cap.gov/cadet-programs/ceremonies-school

lordmonar

As for getting a leadership experience they are more or less the same as participants.   Good training but not really a chance to develop any leadership skills.  Those really don't come till you start looking at staff positions.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sarmed1

Disclaimer: I have not been involved in TXWG since '04.  I was very involved in the development of the GSARSS program that forms the gtm component of what is now LESA.  It evolved from what was originally an ATS at encampment.  It was designed to not only teach and qualify cadets for GTM ratings but serve as a leadership development program that utilized ES as the medium to teach and enforce those lessons.  Specifically leadership, followership, team work and critical thinking/problem solving.  (It originally was developed to provide an alternative activity to newer cadets that were not  competitive enough in grade and experience to get a meaningful encampment staff position)
It is my understanding that with some tweaking, the program that we built back then is pretty much the same in that aspect today.  Given the winter session is shorter and may sacrifice some of the time dedicated to the leadership part to ensure ES qualification, but it should still serve most of the same function.

So I would say GSARSS at LESA would be a better learning time than repeating an encampment.  If ES is your sons interest, it would be better than some of the other options I think too.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel