What to bring on an encampment?

Started by KERALA, March 19, 2012, 07:09:07 PM

KERALA

I am a c/am and am going to my first encampment.

shlebz

C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

KERALA

I could not find one for the joint Dakota encampment

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Contact the staff.  If there isn't one there will be.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spartan

Quote from: shlebz on March 19, 2012, 07:22:27 PM
bring what is on the packing list.
Seriously, this is probably the easiest way to have a less stressful first day at encampment.  If it is not on the packing list, don't bring it with unless it is a major necessary item like a prosthetic arm or leg amputee as prescribed by a doctor.

A few ABSTRACT things to bring with to your first encampment that will make life much easier:
-A positive mental attitude.
-A desire to learn from others and your own mistakes
-Excitement
-Self discipline
-A can-do, team oriented attitude
-Respect

bflynn

bring extra socks.  Seriously.  I've never been camping anywhere that I didn't run out of socks.  If you're going to be walking a lot, especially in boots through the woods and streams, you will want to change socks more than once a day.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2012, 08:27:14 PM
bring extra socks.  Seriously.  I've never been camping anywhere that I didn't run out of socks.  If you're going to be walking a lot, especially in boots through the woods and streams, you will want to change socks more than once a day.

Encampment, despite its name, usually doesn't have anything to do with camping ;).

That said, in hot environments your feet will sweat a lot and the effect will be the same as having walked through a stream. Anyone who's been to NESA will tell you that there's no greater luxury in the world than a dry pair of socks.

bflynn

Yes, I used the word camping because that's what I do.  Being on your feet in boots is what makes changing socks necessary.

Eclipse

Don't bring extra anything.

You will likely be inspected on your locker or rack, and part of the inspection is following simple instructions.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Spaceman3750

Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2012, 08:38:47 PM
??? ::)  Oh good grief...

You know, the guy commanded an encampment for something on the high side of a decade. He might know of what he speaks in this case.

bflynn

Then why do I have so much less respect for him now that he's said that.

There's following directions and attention to detail.  Forcing someone to be unprepared because of your lack of foresight is neither.  It causes resentment which breaks down respect and therefore goes against the core values.

Just because he ran encampments for ten years doesn't make his way good.  See the story of the four monkeys getting sprayed with water.

Eclipse

Have you ever been to an encampment?

"That Others May Zoom"

cadetesman

Honestly, I might not agree with everything Eclipse says....but in this case, he's right.

As a basic participant at an encampment, it IS VERY DETAIL ORIENTED....

You WILL get in trouble for bringing too much of one thing, or too little of another....

The list has all the stuff that is needed, it's made using ORM and experience.

I brought what was on it, and was fine.

Really, Eclipse commanded for 10 years, so I'm sure his experience has let him know of the necessities.

That is all

KERALA

Eclipse

Roger.  Question not directed at you.

Is this the Joint Dakota Leadership Encampment in July?

The website indicates a packing list was included with the application packet.

http://jdcle2012.eventsbot.com/

If you did not receive a packet, you should contact: Lt. Col B. T. Marking at  cap.rufrider@gmail.com

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2012, 09:00:42 PM

No, I went to boot camp for 12 weeks instead.

JayT

Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2012, 09:45:21 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2012, 09:00:42 PM

No, I went to boot camp for 12 weeks instead.

Congratulations, that's very impressive. So since you have apparently no idea what you're talking about in regards to this topic, why don't you let the guys who do put their two cents in?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

ol'fido

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2012, 08:32:31 PM
Don't bring extra anything.

You will likely be inspected on your locker or rack, and part of the inspection is following simple instructions.

I agree except for one thing...bring some extra pairs of underwear. Please don't be the cadet whose luggage I checked a few years ago that only had one pair of underwear in his bags. I "hope" he was wearing a pair. Two pair of underwear is not cool for a week long summer encampment.  :P
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006