WI/IL Encampment 2011

Started by mclarke, April 25, 2011, 02:40:13 AM

mclarke

Just curious who is going. Maybe get to know one another a little prior. I know it is a little ways off, however, never hurts. I am hoping to go, first time, although I am not sure of my position as of yet.

Майор Хаткевич

There is a joint encampment?

mclarke

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on April 25, 2011, 01:02:58 PM

Roger that. Its at the Illinois Military Academy in Springfield IL. 30JUL-06AUG to be exact. Originally when I saw the dates and location I was surprised (and sad) it was not at Volk Field, however, I will survive.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: mclarke on April 25, 2011, 02:29:15 PM

Roger that. Its at the Illinois Military Academy in Springfield IL. 30JUL-06AUG to be exact. Originally when I saw the dates and location I was surprised (and sad) it was not at Volk Field, however, I will survive.

From what I've heard IMA is way better than Volk.

Eclipse

Illinois Wing Summer is not a joint encampment.

Joint encampments have reporting relationships and responsibilities in multiple wings or regions.  This is an Illinois Wing Activity.
WIWG has its own encampment at Volk field each year.

"That Others May Zoom"

mclarke

Quote from: Eclipse on April 25, 2011, 03:28:11 PM

Illinois Wing Summer is not a joint encampment.

Joint encampments have reporting relationships and responsibilities in multiple wings or regions.  This is an Illinois Wing Activity.
WIWG has its own encampment at Volk field each year.

That would normally be accurate, however, it is not this year. According to the WI Wing, they are having a joint encampment with the Illinois Wing Summer Encampment. This has come from the Wing itself.

Fubar

Quote from: mclarke on April 25, 2011, 03:37:56 PMThat would normally be accurate, however, it is not this year. According to the WI Wing, they are having a joint encampment with the Illinois Wing Summer Encampment. This has come from the Wing itself.

Um, I think Eclipse was the encampment commander for ILWG for the past 8 years. If I have that right, then I suspect he would know about such things.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on April 25, 2011, 04:41:06 PMUm, I think Eclipse was the encampment commander for ILWG for the past 8 years. If I have that right, then I suspect he would know about such things.

Yes, for Spring, but not Summer, though I have a fair amount of knowledge of that activity, and it is not being characterized here as
a joint encampment.  Frankly this year things have been very quiet with little information getting to the field about it, so who knows.

One wing officially endorsing another wing's encampment, does not, in and of itself, make it a "joint" encampment, which would require
a fair amount of top-down coordination between the wings and the State Directors.  Not saying that isn't happening, only that if it is
no one is mentioning it down here.

"That Others May Zoom"

mclarke

It was announced to us April 18th, however, I am not sure as to who all it was announced too. I found out from Wing though, that this year it is a joint encampment. I would assume however, though, IL would know about it. Before it was announced I had already sent my application to IL wing, so time will tell.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 25, 2011, 04:47:56 PM
Quote from: Fubar on April 25, 2011, 04:41:06 PMUm, I think Eclipse was the encampment commander for ILWG for the past 8 years. If I have that right, then I suspect he would know about such things.

Yes, for Spring, but not Summer, though I have a fair amount of knowledge of that activity, and it is not being characterized here as
a joint encampment.  Frankly this year things have been very quiet with little information getting to the field about it, so who knows.

One wing officially endorsing another wing's encampment, does not, in and of itself, make it a "joint" encampment, which would require
a fair amount of top-down coordination between the wings and the State Directors.  Not saying that isn't happening, only that if it is
no one is mentioning it down here.

CAWG and NVWG have joint encampments all the time......the only coordination is "Hey CAWG....can you support 40+ cadets from NVWG?  And can we have 10 or so staff slots?"

I don't think CAWG advertises it as a joint encampment....it's not from their point of view.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

It may be that WI is not running an encampment this year and is sending their folks to IL this year, but again that doth not maketh a joint encampment.

Either way, should make for a large turnout.

What I got off...facebook....

Illinois Wing Summer Encampment 2011

Saturday, July 30 at 12:00pm - August 6 at 12:00pm
Springfield, IL
Created By   
Peoria Civil Air Patrol
More Info   
For Cadets and Seniors, offering Basic, ATS, COMM and MED.

For more information, go the the encampment website at:

http://www.illinoiswingsummerencampment.wordpress.com/

Here you will find the most current information and will be able to register for updates and notifications.

And their "website": Nothing else really.

They do accept this new-fangled-thang: PAY-PAL!

:P

lordmonar

What make is a "joint" encampment?

???

ol'fido

Due to lack of space at Volk this year, WI will not be holding there encampment this year. And instead of driving 8+ hours to the Minnesota location they used a couple of years ago, they decided to send there people to the ILWG Summer Encampment. In the past we have had cadets from several different wings attend, TX, CO, IN, MO, OH, and WI to name a few. It is an ILWG activity with WI personnel attending.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

mclarke

Encampment 2011
Cadet Staff Applications
Cadet staff applications for the 2011 Wisconsin Wing Summer Encampment are being accepted through 25 April 2011. This year's encampment is a joint encampment with Illinois Wing. The encampment dates are 30 July - 6 August and will be held in Springfield, Illinois. The cost of the encampment is $125.00

The Cadet Commander position has been filled. All other positions are up for consideration. To be considered for a position, you will need to fill out a Form 31 and attach a short letter stating your desired position as well as a short CAP resume. Please include several position choices in order of preference.

Applications must be approved by your commander and either emailed or mailed by 25 April 2011.

Your Squadron Commander has the E mail information on who to send the application to .
April 18 at 11:17pm ยท Like

Thats what was stated. (link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Civil-Air-Patrol-Wisconsin-Wing-Encampment/131273190237173 )

Eclipse

So, in conclusion...

Wisconsin Wing is not running an encampment because of logistical issues this year, and they have decided to designate ILWG Summer
as their "official" encampment as the alternative.  I would imagine that situation accounted partially for the great turnout we had from WIWG
at Spring as well.  Good on everyone all the way around, but that doesn't make it a "joint" encampment.

In the end this is only a stickler for the staff involved, but considering the brute-force effort (and fair financial risk) required to execute
encampments these days, they'ed be well within their rights to have a little heartburn about this beng considered anything but an ILWG
activity.

WIWG runs an excellent program and Major Hackett (WIWG DCP) was a guest at Spring graduation this year along with the WIWG CAC chair.  I know their
encampment at Volk is a point of pride every year and I'm sure it's killing him to not be able to run his own activities up North this year.

"That Others May Zoom"

mclarke

Nope, it is a joint encampment. I am pretty sure I posted where it said "this years encampment is a joint encampment", however, regardless, the point of this thread was to see who is going to encampment.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: mclarke on April 26, 2011, 10:14:32 AM
Nope, it is a joint encampment. I am pretty sure I posted where it said "this years encampment is a joint encampment", however, regardless, the point of this thread was to see who is going to encampment.

I guess it will depend on what the certificate says. I'm willing to bet it will say ILWG Summer Encampment.

Just because it's "joint" event  with two wings sending cadets, doesn't mean it's not run by just one as it is every year.

"Your Squadron Commander has the E mail information on who to send the application to ."

I wonder if those people are in WI or IL?

--------------------From the Facebook page--------------------------
"Will this encampment be independent or just a part of the Illinois encampment?"
WIWG encampment: " That is yet to be determined and more information will be available by the beginning of April. Stayed tuned for further details..."
"Do I need to send in my check with the CAPF 31 and Resume? I thought I needed to, but I realized it never said."
WIWG encampment: "The check can be sent separately.

Jeff Gertgen, Capt, CAP"
WIWG encampment: " will verify with IL Senior Staff.

Jeff Gertgen, Capt, CAP."

So it looks like they may have considered doing their own thing, but I'm thinking logistically it's just easy to send everyone to ILWG and not deal with two activities at the same place at the same time.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: mclarke on April 26, 2011, 10:14:32 AM

I promise to verify this with the encampment commander next time I see her :). I'll bet she says WIWG is invited, but it's not a "joint encampment". Even the official (USAFAux - the one above isn't the official site) site here doesn't list it as joint.

lordmonar

I say again....what makes it a "joint" as opposed to an encampment where two or more wings are invited?

mclarke

This thread went to the shredder