24/72 hour pack

Started by hatentx, September 14, 2008, 02:17:22 AM

hatentx

I am going to be the new ES officer in my SQD.  I have little to no CAP experience with the ES stuff although the majority of it is either common knowledge or I am educated on it from my military job.  Now my question is what is liked or used for your packs.  I know the basics of what is needed but what is the preferred equipment.  I am hoping to just re use a lot of my military gear for cost reason but what else is good to have?

arajca

Start with the required stuff as listed in the Task Guide. Then add/subtract as needed for YOUR environment and comfort. As for extra stuff that is good to have, you should have a good idea from the military...

Just remember, you have to be able to carry it...

hatentx

Sure I know that my Aid bag will go with me along with a Camel back type bags to carry mystuff.  Causulty Blankets and the normal stuff.  I guess I was wondering what tyoe of equipment is liked/ prefered in the CAP community.  I am not worried about carrying it.  15 miles and 90 lbs ruck with M249 SAW not worried about weight or not being able to carry it all. 

I guess I am looking for:
Sleeping bags
Tents
Bags both 24 and 72
types of LBE if even used

RiverAux

Military surplus is still pretty much standard, but its basically up to you.  Some are switching to vests, but most I see are still wearing ALICE gear. 

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: arajca on September 14, 2008, 02:34:25 AM
Start with the required stuff as listed in the Task Guide. Then add/subtract as needed for YOUR environment and comfort. As for extra stuff that is good to have, you should have a good idea from the military...

Just remember, you have to be able to carry it...

Emphasis mine

Let me clarify a little.  From personal experience only.  you need the required items, then ADD for your environment.  But like the man said, you have to be able to carry it.  If's its in your gear, you should be able to use it as well.

DC

I carry my 24 hour gear on a standard LBE, with a butt pack and several pouches. My 72 is in a large ALICE pack. It is not the best, but it is cheap and readily available. The one major departure from the standard LBE setup is my camelbak, its just soooo much more comfortable than carrying canteens. I do have two 1qt canteens in my 72hr gear though.

This is pretty much the standard in my squadron, but a few people have the camelbaks with a small back pack attached, and they use that for their 24hr gear.

As to what you actually put in your gear, go with what works for you. I don't make it a hard fast rule that you must have every single item on the list, I instead look for a responsible loadout, that will keep you alive and useful. That means being light and comfortable, in addition to being comprehensive.

IceNine

I carry an ultra compact sleeping bag in the winter called the "softie" you can get them at ranger joes. Along with a Camp pillow (the preferred is buckwheat filler)

For the summer I carry a standardly available Fleece sleeping bag.

I also use an self inflating sleeping pad, from therma rest (this was the best buy I've made)

As for the 24 I am using a Military Helo Pilot vest, but have plans for switching to the Camelbak Delta 5 Tac Vest.  This one is becoming increasingly more popular

For the 72 I use the Molle Ruck, w/sleep bag attachment

As far as what pack to use, it is completely up to you.  If you have stuff use it
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

notaNCO forever

I personally use a tac vest for my 24 hr because a like having my gear easily exesable. For 72 hr gear I have my backpack for hiking with internal frame. The only thing I would strongly encourage, for comforts sake, is a good backpack. As far as gear the list doesn't have you might want to invest in a GPS. Good luck on your new position.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: IceNine on September 14, 2008, 08:56:10 PM
I carry an ultra compact sleeping bag in the winter called the "softie" you can get them at ranger joes. Along with a Camp pillow (the preferred is buckwheat filler)

Got me all excited when I saw it was the size of a football, then I saw it is only rated to 32F...we need like -45F rated ones up here...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rangercap

If you're looking for gear for YOU... check these guys out www.kifaru.net

If you looking for stuff for cadets, well, they'll be better off with mil spec surplus.

Brian
PAWG

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Rangercap

Quote from: JThemann on September 19, 2008, 04:16:18 AM
Has anyone had any luck with this?

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=clearance&style=TE211

Bummer, looked like a good pack, too bad they are discontinued.

Brian
PAWG

JayT

How exactly do I carry my sleeping bag and tent in one of those?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

IceNine

Add a sleeping pack on the bottom
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Rangercap

Quote from: JThemann on September 19, 2008, 09:03:40 PM
How exactly do I carry my sleeping bag and tent in one of those?

You mean the Gall's Bag? You just jam it inside... it's 7800 cu in... you won't run out of room anytime soon.

Quote from: IceNine on September 19, 2008, 09:08:56 PM
Add a sleeping pack on the bottom

The Summit Bag has bottom access for a sleeping bag. No need to add more to this pack.

http://summitequipment.com/Products/military/largeDesc/badMamaJama.htm

Brian
PAWG

ELTHunter

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arktis-M173-Civil-Air-Patrol-Ground-Team-Search-Vest_W0QQitemZ220299078322QQihZ012QQcategoryZ36071QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Arktis makes an M173 vest that's billed on eBay as specifically being for ground SAR.  One of our squadron's senior member NCO's bought a couple for our ground team to field test.  I recently used it on a training exercise and found I really liked it.  It has more room than the standard LBE, you can comfortably wear an alice pack with it, and I could get to everything while wearing it without assistance from anyone else.  We are buying several more based upon our experience with them.  They are not found on the Arktis web site though.  eBay is the only place I have seen this particular model.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

CAPLAW

Rangercap

Quote from: ELTHunter on October 27, 2008, 06:19:31 PM... you can comfortably wear an alice pack with it...

Must be some vest... i have never worn an ALICE pack comfortably...

Seriously, looks good...

ol'fido

I recently saw a couple of backpack type bags in basically a red color one was advertised as a "72 Hr Pack" and, drum roll please, the other was the "24 Hr Pack". I believe this was on the U.S. Cavalry Store website.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ol'fido

I just checked and these bags are on the Cav Store web site in the 5.11 tactical gear page. They are the 5.11 Tactical Rush 24 and 72 Bags. Although, at $100 and $150 respectively they are probably not for your average CAP member. Sorry I don't do link posts.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006