Why is CAP the "best kept secret"? - Training Schools

Started by KyCAP, July 13, 2008, 07:40:43 PM

KyCAP

A seperate but related thread to my other "best kept secret" thread more focused on extra-CAP training opportunities.

One of the issues that our wing is working to correct with some efforts is outside of CAP training opportunities -- i.e. - CAP providing training to OTHER agencies as a PR and interoperability opportunity.

Many of our peer agencies like Fire, Rescue, EMA, and Homeland Security have VERY LARGE conferences annually.  Our Wing has not yet particpated in those officially and I am on a side project exploring this - other thread..

However, those same agencies also have LARGE training schools annually like the Eastern Ky University Fire and Rescue school.  We have taught one hour seminars three times in the past four years at those course..
1) Intro to CAP
2) What CAP does..

Have other wings done the same?  If so, let's hear what you're working on.. OUTSIDE of our own training... in other words... no CAP SAREX, NESA, etc...  Something were CAP is the minority providing exposure to the masses.

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

mikeylikey

Getting out there and getting CAP known to other agencies is a very good thing.  Wings should take the lead on this, as it may help to increase our membership numbers. 
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Never heard of CAP doing that sort of specific training for outside groups, but think its a great idea. 

I think you might see some more of this as CAP members become qualified to teach the ICS courses.  Just need to try to advertise them to other folks so that they know about them. 

Unfortunately a lot of our training is very CAP specific and not terribly applicable to other agencies.   

mikeylikey

^ One of the SQD commanders from a neighboring unit actually teaches the ICS classes for other State agencies.  She does it as a "public service" on behalf of CAP.  She then takes recruiting papers, and business cards to hand out after the class.  I got three new members in June that way.  Right now the unit has grown from 12 members to over 25 in 2 months because of inter agency networking.  I didn't even do the majority of networking.  People want to serve by way of CAP, we just need to get out there and let people know CAP exists.  I am amazed as when I originally came to the SQD we were in "shutdown, transfer members" mode by order of the Wing Commander.  Maybe I am just awesome, but decided to stay at the SQD to recruit and build the program so there would never be a "shut it down" order given again. 

It is all due to networking and I think that is what this thread is about.  We can get out there attend events, and host events, and then give our "have you heard about CAP" speech.  It does work! 
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

I also agree that it is a good idea to promote use of CAP facilities when possible by other agencies, especially if you have a particularly well set-up location (lots of space, tables, screens, powerpoint projector, wireless internet, etc.).