Why don't we start a documentation of Past Crash Sites?

Started by Major Carrales, September 09, 2007, 12:54:01 AM

RiverAux

I suppose that won't be necessary.  Was this for ALL airplane crashes or just those that resulted in a search? 

KyCAP

Just completed the AFRCC Search Management Course today.  I spoke with Allan Knox from AFRCC training who is a trained SAR Manager for AFRCC.. He's a very knowledgeable guy and basically I understand that they SHOULD be logging ALL of the crashes they are working.

I let him know that I am aware of two that I was involved with (one as the IC last year the other as Planning Section in 2004) that were not on the list as of this morning.   He said to give them a ring at AFRCC and let them know of the crash sites and they should definitely update their list.

I got the impression that they would update the list for others as well if we were certain of the crashes.   They want the sites because they are working on research for NTAP to crash site comparison for SAR training update in FY '08.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

RiverAux

It only takes a cursory look at the list to see that they have not come anywhere close to keeping this list up to date with crashes found as a result of an AFRCC mission.  He may have thought it was being done, but it certainly isn't reflected in the publically available list. 

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

cnitas

Quote from: RiverAux on September 11, 2007, 09:04:04 PM
Was this for ALL airplane crashes or just those that resulted in a search? 
After looking at the MD list of crashes, I would guess that it is just those that resulted in a search.   This is based upon my being involved in the search in 1/2 the listed crashes on the list.

I know there were other crashes that were not listed and did not involve searches.

There was only 1 search I could remember that was not listed, and that was recent (last year).
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Hoser

The problem with the AFRCC Crash Locator Database is that it is not very precise regarding the lat/lons listed. In MO we have tried to find a couple from the air both with the Mark I eyeball and ARCHER and found nothing. I can't speak for everywhere else but the wrecks listed for MO are old, in the neighborhood of 15 plus years. Some were near airports and probably picked up and not reported to anyone. Those not picked up have probably been cannibalized by the Jim Billy Bobs of the area and that's not accounting for the weathering of the wrecks. I can't imagine the amount of work and money entailed to reassess the Crash database and bring it up to speed. If anyone can figure out how to come up with that much money, please share the wealth. It has invaluable training potential for air and ground crews. Much better than the old airplane shaped blue tarp.

Hoser