Aerial Photography and the New Garmin Virb

Started by etodd, April 18, 2016, 03:43:42 AM

etodd

In the CAP power point for the new Garmin Virb settings, you'll see the screen grab linked below with LENS CORRECTION not selected. Now I do realize this crops the image a bit and might require the timing of shots to be adjusted to maybe 8 seconds instead of 10. But the resulting images would be so MUCH better on a number of issues. 

• The horrible fisheye effect that distorts everything that is not dead image center would be corrected.
  • The ability to stitch images so much more accurately. If CAP is going to dive into the vertical acquisition market ... buyers, whether its FEMA or others will quickly be asking us why our images cannot be stitched and ortho rectified.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

At the risk of upsetting moderators for replying to my own post, please excuse me while I realize I did not frame my post as question, and it was intended to be. I was hoping someone 'in the know' might clarify the issue. Maybe these Garmin Virbs are just a temporary stop gap measure to get our feet wet and and see if the market is there for verticals with our usual 'buyers' of imagery? And if they like how we roll this out, maybe we can quickly upgrade to gear suited to stitching, orthorectification, volume measurements, infrared sensing and much more(?)

Little has been said 'from above' in terms of the long range plan (or maybe I've missed the email), so I'm just wondering.

SarDragon

I don't have my notes and handouts available right now, but I went to a couple of classes last year on the VIRB, and it is getting a significant role here in CAWG. I saw the product from a mission to evaluate wildfire damage, and it was impressive. I didn't see any evidence of fisheye in the pix, so they must have used the proper camera settings.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Quote from: SarDragon on April 18, 2016, 09:55:02 PM
I don't have my notes and handouts available right now, but I went to a couple of classes last year on the VIRB, and it is getting a significant role here in CAWG. I saw the product from a mission to evaluate wildfire damage, and it was impressive. I didn't see any evidence of fisheye in the pix, so they must have used the proper camera settings.

Thanks. I found the CAWG Setup/ Flight Ops guide and its different in that it indeed states to use lens correction:

http://www.cawgcap.org/members/es-resources/emergency-services-training/airbornephotog/735-garmin-virb-elite-camera-setup-flight-ops

Going to a SAREX at the end of this month dedicated to aerial photography and the Virb, so maybe all these details have been ironed out over the last year. So many old links to outdated information can still be found with Google. Webmasters rarely get notified to take documents down when its past time.