Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch

Started by jacob, August 19, 2013, 01:49:06 PM

a2capt

Ya never know .. it might come back into popularity.
Maybe training is available to them .. as it's not a national thing anyway.

aviator9417

Because the bling is cool and it'll make you look like a walking ICBM.

Would the patch even be wearable if it is getting removed in the next 39-1?
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: aviator9417 on January 20, 2014, 06:40:23 AM
Because the bling is cool and it'll make you look like a walking ICBM.

Would the patch even be wearable if it is getting removed in the next 39-1?

Until a new regulation is approved, the current one stays in force, and currently the patch is approved if earned as indicated.
When / if the new version if approved, the patch would have to come off in whatever time frame is indicated as sundown.

"That Others May Zoom"

MHC5096

I earned the Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch as a cadet in 1985. I had one on sewn on to one of my BDU tops when that uniform was first authorized. I haven't seen one in years.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Keith - KB0CAP

I earned mine in the 70s. Although, I left in 91. I re-joined this past July, 2013. I purchased 2
Patches from Vanguard. However, as I was going through 39-1, found it difficult to determine where it should be placed, because the reverse flag is where the patch was worn. So, I asked the deputy commander and he responded by telling me they were no longer authorized. I later see a recent picture of a major within the wing wearing one and now the proposed updated 39-1 indicating that they are still authorized until next year, 2015. So I don't know what to think. It still a necessary skill. With our interoperability through the ICS, you never know when you might be useful to another agency because of your skill.

Luis R. Ramos

Keith-

I guess you missed the Interim Change Letter regarding CAPM 39-1, posted here http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2012_03_12_Uniform_Manual_EDA9CCE9FE03A.pdf

This ICL states those patches removed from the right shoulder because of the Flag are to be worn on the left shoulder or left pocket on para d.

Although some people argue these ICLs expired, they will definitely expire when the new CAPM 39-1 comes out.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

aviator9417

So say I wanted to go about earning this patch would the FEMA IS 3 and IS 301 courses suffice for the requirements?
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

Luis R. Ramos

When I joined in 1998 this was an Emergency Services specialty like Ground Team Leader or Mission Staff Assistant. You had to wait until you had this training to earn the patch, which included a classroom lesson. I only took the classroom part given by a member who worked in the Westchester County, NY ES Office. Indian Point, a nuclear reactor, is in this county. I never got the patch, as shortly thereafter it was announced by NHQ this was being removed as an ES specialty.

I do not think you can earn it anymore.

By the way, I passed a FEMA class on this in 1980, this class given by this person in the 1990s, and the current FEMA IS-3.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: aviator9417 on January 20, 2014, 03:56:58 PM
So say I wanted to go about earning this patch would the FEMA IS 3 and IS 301 courses suffice for the requirements?

All 39-1 says is this: 
"Awarded for completion of any state or FEMA radiological monitoring course"

All the KB says is this:
"CAP does not have a nationwide radiological monitoring program, though some wings do support local agencies with appropriately trained personnel. Your wing will need to recognize your qualifications and have an existing program before utilization and award of a rating.

The Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch is awarded for completion of any state or FEMA radiological monitoring course. Individuals who complete such a course should provide a copy of the completion certificate to your professional development or personnel officer for inclusion in your records."

So I suppose the word "any" in this case would include the above.

With that said, don't waste your time or money.  This isn't something CAP does any more, nor will it do so in the future.
To give you an idea how "recently" this sort of thing was done, my former unit was featured in National Geographic in 1956
checking for radiation on aircraft.  1956.   That same exact equipment was found in a storage closet, including the
unused airframe mounts, still in the original boxes, looking like new.   It hadn't been touched for 10-20 years before I
saw it in the mid-2000s.  I eventually sent it down to o'fido for his collection.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=16769.msg302175#msg302175

There are more advanced technologies, including satellite-based detection systems that would be used in times of
disaster or war, and certainly CAP members aren't going to be expected to suit-up and wander around a DA
with a Geiger counter on an AFAM for nothing more then gas money.

If you showed up as a new member with a request to wear a patch that is no longer relevent to CAP and
which will be retired in months (if not less), I would advise you to return it to Vanguard for a refund.
It would also show you to be more interested in NASCAR patches then in relevent training.

Don't waste your time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I need that Counter Narcotics Flight Crew patch that was floating around :)