Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch

Started by jacob, August 19, 2013, 01:49:06 PM

jacob

The CAP Knowledgebase answer about the Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch (http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1621), last updated in April of 2013, states that this patch "is awarded for completion of any state or FEMA radiological monitoring course."  I know there used to be corresponding ES quals, which no longer exist.  Can this patch still be earned?  More specifically:
- Has anyone earned this patch recently?
- If so, what course did you take?

Spaceman3750

I saw a cadet running around with one of these at NESA this year. Apparently his CC is a FEMA trainer. I guess if it meets the FEMA requirements.

SierraOneThree

According to the CAP Knowledgebase, you earn it by taking a FEMA radiological monitoring course. I've done IS3, but as far as I can tell there isn't an actual FEMA *monitoring* course... :(

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1621/~/aerial-radiological-monitoring-patch

SarDragon

Competent rumour has it that it's going away, so don't get too excited about trying to get qualified.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jacob

Quote from: SarDragon on August 19, 2013, 09:34:47 PM
Competent rumour has it that it's going away

I heard the same, which is what made me curious if anyone was still earning it.  I thought it had already gone away officially, until I saw the recently-updated Knowledgebase article.  From the responses (or lack thereof), it sounds like it pretty much has disappeared.

Flying Pig

CAP doesn't even do that mission.   I don't know about you, but no thank you. 

starshippe

seems that there may now be a clear and present need for such a mission in the pacific northwest.
   if ur going to be flying around anyway, why not be equipped and qualified to know that u r in an area of increased radiation?

bill

RogueLeader

Quote from: starshippe on August 20, 2013, 05:12:02 PM

seems that there may now be a clear and present need for such a mission in the pacific northwest.

Cite please.

Sorry Eclipse . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

if ur going to be flying around anyway, why not be equipped and qualified to know that u r in an area of increased radiation?

bill
It's not done during our regular flights, the monitoring is only done on an as needed basis.

A.Member

Aerial Radiological Monitoring was dropped by National several years ago.  It's not a mission.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

bill
Sigh.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

starshippe

looks like i was a bit off with the comment about the pacific northwest. jacksonville, fla is also mentioned in this article. obviously i cant personally vouch for the accuracy of the information presented, does anyone else have a good source for information on the extent and magnitude of the radiation problem? 

http://www.forbiddenknowledgetv.com/videos/radiation-poisoning/us-death-rates-increase-from-fukushima-fallout.html

bill

Eclipse

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/08/10/the-fukushima-radiation-leak-is-equal-to-76-million-bananas/

The Fukushima Radiation Leak Is Equal To 76 Million Bananas

"Tepco admitted on Friday that a cumulative 20 trillion to 40 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium may have leaked into the sea since the disaster."

"Most of us haven't a clue what that means of course. We don't instinctively understand what a becquerel is in the same way that we do pound, pint or gallons, and certainly trillions of anything sounds hideous. But don't forget that trillions of picogrammes of dihydrogen monoxide is also the major ingredient in a glass of beer. So what we really want to know is whether 20 trillion becquerels of radiation is actually an important number. To which the answer is no, it isn't. This is actually around and about (perhaps a little over) the amount of radiation the plant was allowed to dump into the environment before the disaster. Now there are indeed those who insist that any amount of radiation kills us all stone dead while we sleep in our beds but I'm afraid that this is incorrect. We're all exposed to radiation all the time and we all seem to survive long enough to be killed by something else so radiation isn't as dangerous as all that."

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Luis R. Ramos

Have you used it? Does it work???

>:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Flying Pig

No, it doesnt work.  "They" still steal all my best ideas.

aviator9417

Is this patch still able to be earned?  Arm sounds like a unique skill to put on your 101 card.
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: aviator9417 on January 19, 2014, 07:17:47 PM
Is this patch still able to be earned?  Arm sounds like a unique skill to put on your 101 card.

Not within CAP - the only way you could still be qualified to wear it is by completing outside training,
and the patch itself will be retired with the release of the new 39-1.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Why would you want to "earn" a skill that you can't use?

CAP has not had the equipment to do either airborne or ground Radiological Monitoring for years.

So you earn the skill, what are you going to do with it?

Panache

Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2014, 08:35:22 PM

Why would you want to "earn" a skill that you can't use?

CAP has not had the equipment to do either airborne or ground Radiological Monitoring for years.

So you earn the skill, what are you going to do with it?

Because the bling is cool and it'll make you look like a walking ICBM.

a2capt

Ya never know .. it might come back into popularity.
Maybe training is available to them .. as it's not a national thing anyway.

aviator9417

Would the patch even be wearable if it is getting removed in the next 39-1?
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: aviator9417 on January 20, 2014, 06:40:23 AM

Would the patch even be wearable if it is getting removed in the next 39-1?

Until a new regulation is approved, the current one stays in force, and currently the patch is approved if earned as indicated.
When / if the new version if approved, the patch would have to come off in whatever time frame is indicated as sundown.

"That Others May Zoom"

MHC5096

I earned the Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch as a cadet in 1985. I had one on sewn on to one of my BDU tops when that uniform was first authorized. I haven't seen one in years.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Keith - KB0CAP

I earned mine in the 70s. Although, I left in 91. I re-joined this past July, 2013. I purchased 2
Patches from Vanguard. However, as I was going through 39-1, found it difficult to determine where it should be placed, because the reverse flag is where the patch was worn. So, I asked the deputy commander and he responded by telling me they were no longer authorized. I later see a recent picture of a major within the wing wearing one and now the proposed updated 39-1 indicating that they are still authorized until next year, 2015. So I don't know what to think. It still a necessary skill. With our interoperability through the ICS, you never know when you might be useful to another agency because of your skill.

Luis R. Ramos

Keith-

I guess you missed the Interim Change Letter regarding CAPM 39-1, posted here http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2012_03_12_Uniform_Manual_EDA9CCE9FE03A.pdf

This ICL states those patches removed from the right shoulder because of the Flag are to be worn on the left shoulder or left pocket on para d.

Although some people argue these ICLs expired, they will definitely expire when the new CAPM 39-1 comes out.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

aviator9417

So say I wanted to go about earning this patch would the FEMA IS 3 and IS 301 courses suffice for the requirements?
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

Luis R. Ramos

When I joined in 1998 this was an Emergency Services specialty like Ground Team Leader or Mission Staff Assistant. You had to wait until you had this training to earn the patch, which included a classroom lesson. I only took the classroom part given by a member who worked in the Westchester County, NY ES Office. Indian Point, a nuclear reactor, is in this county. I never got the patch, as shortly thereafter it was announced by NHQ this was being removed as an ES specialty.

I do not think you can earn it anymore.

By the way, I passed a FEMA class on this in 1980, this class given by this person in the 1990s, and the current FEMA IS-3.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: aviator9417 on January 20, 2014, 03:56:58 PM
So say I wanted to go about earning this patch would the FEMA IS 3 and IS 301 courses suffice for the requirements?

All 39-1 says is this: 
"Awarded for completion of any state or FEMA radiological monitoring course"

All the KB says is this:
"CAP does not have a nationwide radiological monitoring program, though some wings do support local agencies with appropriately trained personnel. Your wing will need to recognize your qualifications and have an existing program before utilization and award of a rating.

The Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch is awarded for completion of any state or FEMA radiological monitoring course. Individuals who complete such a course should provide a copy of the completion certificate to your professional development or personnel officer for inclusion in your records."

So I suppose the word "any" in this case would include the above.

With that said, don't waste your time or money.  This isn't something CAP does any more, nor will it do so in the future.
To give you an idea how "recently" this sort of thing was done, my former unit was featured in National Geographic in 1956
checking for radiation on aircraft.  1956.   That same exact equipment was found in a storage closet, including the
unused airframe mounts, still in the original boxes, looking like new.   It hadn't been touched for 10-20 years before I
saw it in the mid-2000s.  I eventually sent it down to o'fido for his collection.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=16769.msg302175#msg302175

There are more advanced technologies, including satellite-based detection systems that would be used in times of
disaster or war, and certainly CAP members aren't going to be expected to suit-up and wander around a DA
with a Geiger counter on an AFAM for nothing more then gas money.

If you showed up as a new member with a request to wear a patch that is no longer relevent to CAP and
which will be retired in months (if not less), I would advise you to return it to Vanguard for a refund.
It would also show you to be more interested in NASCAR patches then in relevent training.

Don't waste your time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I need that Counter Narcotics Flight Crew patch that was floating around :)