Advise on Beginning ES

Started by MajorPayne, January 01, 2013, 05:38:15 AM

MajorPayne

Hello all and happy New Year! I have been in CAP for a little over a year and a half but never really explored the area of Emergency Services. I recently decided (as a part of my new years resolutions) to pursue my GTM3. I recently found out about a winter training exercise being held in my group in a few months and figured it might be a good place to start training. Just for clarification I only need 2 more sign-offs before I am done with my familiarization training and these should be attained by the February SAREX.

So my main question is what should I be doing to prepare. I have most of the gear and am looking to pick up the last few items soon. I have never been on a practice mission and am not quite sure what to expect. What exactly do you do as a newbie? What tasks will I have to be knowledgeable at?

My squadron has been out of ES for many years and recently began to get back into the program. I do not know many seniors or cadets in ES very well and am looking for a way to get myself out there in the ES community.

Thank you for any responses in advance. By the way I am from CA wing just in case that affects anything. ;D
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

Abby.L

Well, as you're from CA, it is important to get the proper uniform(Refer to CAWG's 39-1 supplement for details). Basicly, it's a bright orange shirt with BBDU pants that is, if I recall correctly, required for anything ES related. As I said, read your wing's 39-1.

After that, I think you're on the right track. As a newbie, you'll just want to "Shut up and listen" to the people with the most experience. That's the way that ES is supposed to work: You don't look at the grade/rank of a person, you look at his/her quals.

Other than that, I think you're probably off to a good start.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

MajorPayne

Thank you for the advice. The uniform is one of the items that I still need to purchase and Im looking at getting it soon.
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

Storm Chaser

Have you consider applying to the National Emergency Services Academy (NESA) basic ground search and rescue (GSAR) course this summer. If you complete all your tasks, you could get your GTM3 in a week. Plus you also get credit for attending a National Cadet Special Activity (NCSA).