Wing Operational Exercise (WOX)

Started by Check Pilot/Tow Pilot, June 01, 2012, 06:42:25 PM

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Does anyone have information, published or otherwise, on the Guided Training Exercise replacement called the Wing Operational Exercise (WOX) or Wing level Operational Exercise?

CAWG will be WOX'd this year.

Thanks!

Eclipse

Sounds like a local thing.

All we've heard is that the emphasis for large SAREx's will be to include other wings.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Mission Pilot on June 01, 2012, 06:42:25 PM
Does anyone have information, published or otherwise, on the Guided Training Exercise replacement called the Wing Operational Exercise (WOX) or Wing level Operational Exercise?

Thanks!
We're still doing a GTX this year.  The briefing that I saw about the CAP-USAF reorg said that any Guided Training Exs this year would go forward, but after that, we would be doing Wing Level Exercises in the non SAREVAL years.

Eclipse

^ Correct, I spoke to our SD LRADO SD about this just this week.

I had been under the impression that the "Brave New World" started 1 May, but in fact everything will be running on inertia through the summer and the BNW starts with the new fiscal year.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

We already received a letter from CAP-USAF Region Headquarters notifying us that our planned GTE has been converted to a Ops Eval. We had an Ops Eval last year.

Mike

Eclipse

Quote from: sardak on June 01, 2012, 10:10:35 PM
We already received a letter from CAP-USAF Region Headquarters notifying us that our planned GTE has been converted to a Ops Eval. We had an Ops Eval last year.

We had something similiar - two in 6 months in order to "realign the schedule", now word is it could be as long as 4 years before we get the next full eval.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on June 01, 2012, 10:14:35 PM

We had something similiar - two in 6 months in order to "realign the schedule", now word is it could be as long as 4 years before we get the next full eval.

Hooray :).

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 02, 2012, 12:42:26 AM

Seriously - although the discussion has been that absent "adult supervision" wings tend to get lax, and right now we're pretty much at the top of our game, so we have nowhere but down to go if we aren't careful.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2012, 12:48:13 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 02, 2012, 12:42:26 AM

Seriously - although the discussion has been that absent "adult supervision" wings tend to get lax, and right now we're pretty much at the top of our game, so we have nowhere but down to go if we aren't careful.

Well, I can say that my group and group 1 are both going to step up on training, so hopefully we can keep up. My biggest issue is that I'm in a really big pilot crunch, for multiple reasons.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 02, 2012, 12:59:46 AM
Well, I can say that my group and group 1 are both going to step up on training, so hopefully we can keep up. My biggest issue is that I'm in a really big pilot crunch, for multiple reasons.

You're not the only one.  BTW nice airplane and hanger.  The Speaker of the House did not mention you when we met him last weekend.

As compensation for the thread derail, I pinged our SD on what a WOX is, I'll let you know what he says.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2012, 01:19:52 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 02, 2012, 12:59:46 AM

You're not the only one.  BTW nice airplane and hanger.  The Speaker of the House did not mention you when we met him last weekend.

As compensation for the thread derail, I pinged our SD on what a WOX is, I'll let you know what he says.
My impression from talking to our SD is that it will be less driven by the USAF, and more of a Wing thing...the Wing will be expected to have a major wing-wide exercise, but what is done and how it's conducted will be left to the discretion of the Wing commander and staff.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on June 02, 2012, 01:24:53 AMMy impression from talking to our SD is that it will be less driven by the USAF, and more of a Wing thing...the Wing will be expected to have a major wing-wide exercise, but what is done and how it's conducted will be left to the discretion of the Wing commander and staff.

We were told the same thing.  Not graded.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: JeffDG on June 01, 2012, 09:18:33 PM
Quote from: Mission Pilot on June 01, 2012, 06:42:25 PM

Thanks!
We're still doing a GTX this year.  The briefing that I saw about the CAP-USAF reorg said that any Guided Training Exs this year would go forward, but after that, we would be doing Wing Level Exercises in the non SAREVAL years.

We are still doing GTE but I like the way the alphabet changes. WOX is unique I plan on seeing that Cadet activities fall under "WOW" that is progressive    8)

Eclipse

Heard back, confirmed this will be replacing the GTE.

Waiting on more detail.

"That Others May Zoom"