WMIRS File-size maximums?

Started by Eclipse, April 16, 2012, 02:09:51 PM

Eclipse

We're considering uploading the entirety of mission documents to WMIRS in the document upload area for a respective mission.
One .pdf, in a standard format and order, that would be the permanent record.

For over night ELT's, etc., this is a non-issue and the files are small, but for a multi-day exercises, eval, or similar, these files
get very large, quickly, especially if they contain a lot of images.

Is there a practical or actual file-size limit for WMIRS docs?

We understand the risks, including that since we don't "own" the system, WMIRS might purge records that we are required to retain, but
are exploring this as one option.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

I know from uploading pictures that there is a file size limit, because I've had files not load - that could have been a time out issue.   But I don't remember off hand what that size is.  I see from our last training day that I've upload images up to 7.1 MB, but I don't think that is all that large. 

As a practical matter, it took something like 30 seconds for the 7MB file to load, so if you're looking at something that is much larger, it might not be reasonable to wait for the upload.

Use a training mission and try it out.  That's why we do training.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2012, 02:09:51 PM
For over night ELT's, etc., this is a non-issue and the files are small, but for a multi-day exercises, eval, or similar, these files
get very large, quickly, especially if they contain a lot of images.

In computer systems terms this idea does not scale well. Imagine what Katrina or the BP oil spill mission file would look like.
Even a mid size mission would result in a pdf that was difficult to use for retrieval later.
I would suggest one of 2 options

1. standard file and naming convention.
xx-M-xxxx main forms.pdf
xx-M-xxxx YYYY-MM-DD.pdf

Possibly break the days down into ops, planning, etc.

2. Zip the files from what ever directory structure you use and upload the .zip

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2012, 02:09:51 PM
We understand the risks, including that since we don't "own" the system, WMIRS might purge records that we are required to retain, but
are exploring this as one option.

I would take a screen shot of the file list in WMIRS and keep that in the local records. If you upload records required to be retained by NHQ to a system operated by NHQ and they get purged early, if you can show you put them there...

sardak

I have yet to hit the maximum file size, even with pictures, but most non-photo files are relatively small. Maps can get large, too.
a. Naming individual files with the mission number, date (or mission day/operational period number) and form number works well.
b. Having folders for each day is a good idea.
c. For small missions, putting all the files into a single PDF is a really good way to organize them. This is much better than having a half dozen separate one or two page forms. The CI team liked opening a single file over multiple ones, too.
d. Don't print out e104s (and hopefully soon e109s) only to load them into the electronic mission folders. Seems obvious, but some do that.
e. Use underscores in file names. WMIRS truncates everything after the first space in a file name.

QuoteWe understand the risks, including that since we don't "own" the system, WMIRS might purge records that we are required to retain, but are exploring this as one option.
According to CAPR 10-2, mission record "originals and copies may be destroyed once loaded into WMIRS." Let your fault tolerance ORM guide the acceptance of doing that.

Mike

Ed Bos

Eclipse,

What do you mean by, "since we don't 'own' the system..."

I was under the impression that CAP owned the software that manages WMIRS and the hardware that the information is stored upon.

Am I misunderstanding something?

-Ed
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

My wing doesn't have any control.

If NHQ decides to purge things, we lose it.  10-2 may say things are OK when uploaded, but 60-3 says 4 fiscal years have to be retained.  We also haven't been told this is the way NHQ wants it done, and the system may not have the storage needed if we all started doing it this way.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ed Bos

I understand what you mean now. Thanks for the clarification.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

sardak

QuoteIf NHQ decides to purge things, we lose it.  10-2 may say things are OK when uploaded, but 60-3 says 4 fiscal years have to be retained.  We also haven't been told this is the way NHQ wants it done, and the system may not have the storage needed if we all started doing it this way.
Both 10-2 and 60-3 require 4 year retention, both say electronic storage is acceptable and neither say that the paper originals must be maintained. 10-2 also requires appropriate back-ups for electronic storage. NHQ owns 10-2, 60-3 and WMIRS. What other directive do you want saying it's OK? Apparently you're paranoid about NHQ screwing up with regards to purging or having sufficient storage space, and I won't say more than my original comment on that, so go store your paper documents.

Mike

Eclipse

Quote from: sardak on April 16, 2012, 09:26:47 PM
QuoteIf NHQ decides to purge things, we lose it.  10-2 may say things are OK when uploaded, but 60-3 says 4 fiscal years have to be retained.  We also haven't been told this is the way NHQ wants it done, and the system may not have the storage needed if we all started doing it this way.
Both 10-2 and 60-3 require 4 year retention, both say electronic storage is acceptable and neither say that the paper originals must be maintained. 10-2 also requires appropriate back-ups for electronic storage. NHQ owns 10-2, 60-3 and WMIRS. What other directive do you want saying it's OK? Apparently you're paranoid about NHQ screwing up with regards to purging or having sufficient storage space, and I won't say more than my original comment on that, so go store your paper documents.

No, I'm not "paranoid", but the mandate for retention is on us if NHQ decides we've used too much file space, not to mention the fact we need those
records to be available for longer than 4 years for other things like decorations, participation, simple history, etc.

And there have been, on occasion, "gremlins" in WMIRS and eServices where things "ain't there no mo'..." without warning.

I agree that electronic storage is fine, that's what we're doing today, I just don't know if WMIRS is scaled or intended for wings to start dumping files
by the hundred at 15-100Mb at a time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Why don't you compress it? .rar inside a .zip with a README_IMPORTANT.txt file that contains a link to winzip, or your favorite file extracting software.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Not the most user friendly solution for the next guy, nor do image-heavy PDF tend to compress well anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I thought WMIRS file uploading only supported .PDF?