WISC. FOURSOME SPOTS INTERSTATE WRECK, STEPS UP TO ASSIST

Started by Eclipse, July 13, 2010, 11:52:02 PM

Eclipse

Thought I recognized those names...

SM Ollerman was a Squadron CC at Spring Enc this year as one of his last activities as a cadet, and we all know SM Turkal...

http://capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/wisc_foursome_spots_interstate_wreck_steps_up_to_assist?show=news&newsID=8235

1st Lt. Jeri Gonwa
Assistant Public Affairs Officer
Wisconsin Wing

WISCONSIN – Four ground team members from two East Central Group squadrons were headed west on Interstate 94 to help search for a missing person July 1 when they found themselves calling on some of their response skills along the highway.

Spotting an accident scene on the eastbound lane, using some of their skills, the four -- Capt. Matt Kopp and Senior Member Dan Turkal, both of the Timmerman Composite Squadron, and the 461st Wisconsin Composite Squadron's Capt. Tom Hawes and Senior Member Michael Ollerman – quickly used the emergency turn-around to cross the freeway in order to help/

Reaching the scence, the team turned on their truck's amber flashers and arrow stick to warn oncoming traffic of the hazard. Bystanders reported that someone had called 911 but had left the scene, and no one present was providing any aid when the team arrived.

Drawing on training he had received as a Civil Air Patrol member, Kopp took charge of the situation, requesting that nonessential bystanders to leave and asking another observer to call 911. Turkal, meanwhile, made sure no fuel was leaking and assessed the damage to the wrecked vehicle.

Hawes and Ollerman held flashlights, retrieved equipment and made sure vital information was given to the 911 receptionist.

Because the vehicle was on its side, its driver was inaccessible. In addition, spider-web cracks in the windshield obscured her from view.

After assuring the injured woman – who was drifting in and out of consciousness – that help was en route, Kopp used the glass breaker on his knife to break her vehicle's rear passenger-side window.  Turkal, in turn, used his knife to saw through the windshield.

Finally able to visually assess the woman's injuries, the members relayed her condition to 911 personnel.

Soon Johnson Creek Fire and Emergency Medical Service personnel arrived on the scene and took charge. After being extricated from the wreck by rescuers using the Jaws, she flown by a Med Flight helicopter to a nearby hospital for further care.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

♠SARKID♠

Thanks!

News hasn't reported about whether or not they found the suspect who ran her off the road, nor did we ever hear how she fared.

I used to have a really nice knife...not so much anymore...

Eclipse

No - now you have a nice knife with something priceless, history.

I used to be of the "bright and shiny" club, until as I got older I realized that the sign of real quality is something which
takes a beating but keeps on working.  I've got a few things in my kit(s) now that have plenty of dings and dents that I would never
trade for "new".

Put a new edge on that baby and keep it for life!

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

What Eclipse said. If that blade isn't shaking loose, it's not all that hard to resharpen it and keep using it.

♠SARKID♠

Yeah, I've been holding off on sharpening it.  I've got pictures now, so I suppose I can go ahead and do it.

You guys should see Kopp's knife, its even worse than mine from when he helped with the windshield.  One thing is for sure: I've always hated serrated knives, but now I'm going to be adding some to the collection.  While that thing dulled pretty quick and got a difficult to work with, Kopp's serrations kept on cutting.

I should take a second to thank the EMS/Fire crew from Johnson Creek and Med Life.  They're the real heroes.  We just assessed; they treated, extricated, and saved her life.