AF Emergency Mgt Program - anything useful for CAP in here?

Started by RiverAux, June 27, 2010, 07:26:30 PM

RiverAux

Here is a link to the AF's regulation on emergency management.  http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI10-2501.pdf

It seems to be pretty focused on responding to emergencies on bases, with a heavy emphasis on chemcial, biological, nuclear incidents. 

While 95% of it probably has no relevance to CAP, there might be a few useful things in there:
1.  Are any of the courses mentioned of potential use to CAP?  I see that they're using some of the same ICS courses we are and it seems like it would be a good fit to open up some of them to CAP members on a space available basis, especially in those areas where they might not be available from other sources very often (thinking of ICS 300/400 primarily).   A "shelter management" course is mentioned that could be of use as well.  Is this a course that might be adaptable to being taught within CAP.  There is the Red Cross course available, but costs money and is not always available locally to our units (there are more CAP units than local Red Cross chapters). 

2.  They do have a mandated after action reporting system, which is something CAP really needs to adopt. 

3.  Are there elements of this program that should be being taught to CAP members at units that meet at AF installations?  There is the potential for some of these bad things to happen while CAP members are on base and I would think it would be important that our folks know what to do just as much as everyone else. 

RiverAux

Nothing?

Oh well, they can't all be 5-page threads...maybe I should have thrown in a proposal for a special badge to indicate completion of some of this coursework...  >:D