Scanned Document Clean-Up Software for CAP Records

Started by JC004, December 09, 2014, 10:54:24 AM

JC004

I've been using this software, and it occurred to me that units that want to convert paper records could make use of it.

It cleans up pages very nicely, and most importantly, reduces the size of the files (which can be HUGE for scans).  I do photos of the pages, like folks do for book digitization.

Want to clean up memos, PLs, etc., and remove grainy backgrounds?  This is the way to go:

Scan Tailor (Free): http://scantailor.org/
Scan Tailor Enhanced (also free): http://sourceforge.net/projects/scantailor/files/scantailor-devel/enhanced/

Here's an example of a processed certificate.  Notice the grainy appearance of the CAP certificate is gone.  The computer file size is also much smaller:

Document 2 shows a memo cleaned up:

NIN

I talked to a commander recently about unit records.

The way I'm looking to set things up at my unit (in our Google Apps) is that OPRs for areas (ie. Personnel) can see "their" electronic files (the deputies and the commander can see pretty much everything).

So under DP there is "Personnel Files" in Drive. I'm still not 100% sure if I want to differentiate cadet or senior at this level, but right now there are just 86 file folders under "Personnel Files" in last name, first name alpha order.  (85 members and then "old" records)

At the top of the personnel officer's Drive is an "inbox" folder that everybody in the unit can throw things into (Haven't fiddled with the permissions to prevent deletion by anybody yet) and the Personnel officer can then say "That goes into Jones' record, this into Smith, this into Johnson's.." (We're starting with Personnel cuz its the 500 lb gorilla in the room)

This program will help because we just got a laser printer/scanner/copier and the idea is that when we generate paper, it gets scanned, PDF'd and then winds up in the file.  Some of the scans (so far, as we work on the process) are downright gross :)

we're working on a filename convention like "JONES-CAPF2A-11DEC14-RED-SVC-RBN.pdf" or similar to perhaps reduce the amount of filing, folders, subfolders, etc.  So when the personnel officer goes into the inbox folder, he can easily move files to the appropriate member's folder. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JC004

Perhaps you could assemble something with your experiences with it, after it's done, so units can consider how they'd like to store electronic records?

If a number of units are interested in using ScanTailor to help, I would make a tutorial.

I would emphasize that they might want to consider photos done on a tripod rather than scanning, when possible.  This is how most people who digitize books do it, including museums, Google, and various archives.  Scanning tends to create even more massive files.  You can quickly go through gigabytes this way.

Eclipse

I agree you don't have much choice but a photo for larger docs, but why photos?

I archive everything as .pdf.

My file naming convention:

###### - LastName, FirstName - CAPF2a Duty Comms 01 JUN 09

###### = CAPID

For Certificates I use "CERT"

I also use "PA", CAPF##", etc., etc.

The date is important because file write dates can't always be trusted - depending on how you move files,
and which OS, sometimes the dates will get updated to "today" when you move them around.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Speed, file size....  It does really depend on your available equipment, though.  And single-page document do give you more flexibility to experiment with what works best with the equipment you have.  If you have a regular, cheap, slow consumer scanner, photographs are a much better option.  If you have a better scanning system, you might want to scan at a smaller output file size if the software gives you the options. 

EMT-83

If you're really serious about keeping files in PDF, get Adobe Acrobat Pro. It's less than $50 at TechSoup.

Eclipse

I went 100% (well 95%, you have to keep some things) paperless about 3 years ago - scanned my families
4ft x 4-drawer file cabinet, historical files, the works.  I use a Brother 440CN MFU, which isn't
lightning, but does have an ADF which is really handy.

For a few docs I was able to use a high-speed duplexing unit at one of my clients.

Generally I scan anything I "need" but isn't super-important at 200x200 color, and
standard forms, and anything else that's black laser at 100x100 True Gray.

I usually scan photos at 200x200 24-bit unless it's something I intend to edit / fix, or
is a client job.  I found that scanning them larger increase the file size, but not necessarily
the quality, and just makes what are likely poor-resolution film photos (ISO 100, Instamatic, etc.)
look worse.

To the point about using a camera, I've done a fair amount of "scanning" with my Nexus 5 - the
HDR+ actually takes a dual photo at two different exposure levels and tend to iron out lighting issues.
I also use that for saving 3-d objects like the kids' art and similar that we want to remember, but
don't want cluttering the attic until they wheel us out.

This trip I've also been using the "Scan to Drive" applet on my phone for receipts, and which would
do an adequate job for things like CAPFs and similar where super-quality isn't important (also good for missions).
It creates a .pdf on the fly right into any GDrive directory you have rights to.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 09, 2014, 07:29:18 PM
If you're really serious about keeping files in PDF, get Adobe Acrobat Pro. It's less than $50 at TechSoup.

Agreed, I use it all the time, Photoshop can also edit PDFs, which some people aren't aware of - there's no
such thing as a "locked" document.

These days, though, there are plenty of other good options, especially if you're just viewing and rendering, but don't
need to create or edit complex documents or forms.

Chrome and GDocs will create .pdfs directly either as an export download or a direct print from the browser.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

For CAP purposes, with something like Scan Tailor to clean up the documents, NitroPDF's free creator might do the trick for many (https://www.gonitro.com/pdf-reader), when it comes to just basic creation of PDFs.

You can't really clean up PDFs with Acrobat Pro anyway.  Photoshop requires a lot of work to clean up documents.  That's where Scan Tailor or a similar tool fill the gap.  Acrobat's tool for optimizing scanned documents kinda sucks.

You need Acrobat for optimizing documents, making forms, or fancy reduction tasks, but digitized personnel records hardly require most of that.