Government Shutdown...

Started by CAPLTC, January 20, 2018, 01:32:03 PM

CAPLTC

Is there any portion of CAP affected by this?
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

RiverAux

Haven't heard a thing from CAP.  You would think that AFAMs would get cancelled.

The CG Aux is completely shut down except for stuff done from your own home -- apparently on the theory that even though there are many activities conducted that have no cost to the Coast Guard they are worried that if someone is hurt or causes someone to get hurt that the Coast Guard might then have to pay for that. 

FW

Shutdown basically means no grant allocations from congress to CAP for O&M of NHQ, repairs of aircraft/vehicles, mission reimbursements, and everything else we expect.  Everything you pay for stays going...
So unless you were expecting to fly an "A" mission, or have a SAREVAL in  your wing, nothing changes.  Little things like getting stuff done at NHQ may take awhile since no paychecks mean no employees.... it just depends on what our COO asks of them, and if the BoG allows NHQ to "borrow" from Corporate savings\investments to pay the bills in the short term.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: CAPLTC on January 20, 2018, 01:32:03 PM
Is there any portion of CAP affected by this?

Having been through a couple of these already, it could mean up to and including no B or C Flying, and only Real World Missions.

Fingers crossed.

etodd

We have joint missions with the Army all next week. No word yet of any cancellations.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

abdsp51

Quote from: etodd on January 21, 2018, 02:13:26 AM
We have joint missions with the Army all next week. No word yet of any cancellations.

I'd count on it getting scrapped.

Spam

Don't panic. NHQ/DO sent out a message yesterday to the effect that "have enough funding on the Cooperative Agreement to continue our operations and programs at the current level". On an extended basis, we'll wait and see, but apparently a separate email also went out to Wing Admins, who they stated are taken care of (paychecks I hope you'd agree are a more serious issue than our hobby).

etodd, on outside agency cooperation, I agree with abdsp51. My work event this week which involves multiple Army commands sending people TDY is on hold with a conference call today to map a replan. USAF partners have not canxed yet but are calling in also. Experience with such events in the 90s and 2000s would lead me to start laying some backup plans for when their side gets direction to stand down/postpone.

V/r
Spam

N6RVT

Quote from: RiverAux on January 20, 2018, 02:13:40 PM
Haven't heard a thing from CAP.  You would think that AFAMs would get cancelled.

The CG Aux is completely shut down except for stuff done from your own home -- apparently on the theory that even though there are many activities conducted that have no cost to the Coast Guard they are worried that if someone is hurt or causes someone to get hurt that the Coast Guard might then have to pay for that.
Yup.  I even volunteered to do the existing scheduled patrols as unfunded and they told me due to insurance, they were still off.

Live2Learn

now that someone (you pick 'em) "blinked" it's just another speed bump in history... and a minor one at that.  Last I heard in my American Civics and Constitution classes this thing called "consensus", and the time honored tactics of "log rolling" aren't part of the 240 year old road map for governance.  I think the system worked just as it was designed to... fits, starts, and lots of showmanship.  I prefer that to some of the other systems I've seen that work like well oiled machines.  I bet most of us can think of at least half dozen.

Back to "normal" until next time.  :)

stillamarine

Quote from: Live2Learn on January 29, 2018, 04:02:19 PM
now that someone (you pick 'em) "blinked" it's just another speed bump in history... and a minor one at that.  Last I heard in my American Civics and Constitution classes this thing called "consensus", and the time honored tactics of "log rolling" aren't part of the 240 year old road map for governance.  I think the system worked just as it was designed to... fits, starts, and lots of showmanship.  I prefer that to some of the other systems I've seen that work like well oiled machines.  I bet most of us can think of at least half dozen.

Back to "normal" until next time.  :)

More like until next week. When the current Continuing Resolution expires. And you must not work for the federal government if you think it was just a minor bump.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Live2Learn

Quote from: stillamarine on January 29, 2018, 04:58:09 PM
And you must not work for the federal government if you think it was just a minor bump.

Naw.  I just have a reasonably good knowledge of history.  It's irrelevant who my current, past, or future employer might be.  Small speed bump.  Very small.  If a few free vacation days worries any current or prospective Fed I think it's time to read a bit more history... that and do some careful soul searching about the meaning of "steady paychecks vs no-so-steady..." in the bigger scheme of things.

Not withstanding the artificial hype created by circulation watching media, the noise and drama in D.C. is pretty low level from a historical perspective.  Or from the perspective offered by even a brief scan of many other countries and their fiscal woes.  Think Greece, Portugal, or even Russia pre-Putin.  Not so pretty nor so reliable as a source of steady and ready cash to employees, retirees, contractors, or public constituencies.  IMHO, Congress is doing EXACTLY as it should. 

stillamarine

So you're unaware of any actual issues that occurred due to the shutdown. Got it. And not everyone had free vacation days. Many employees were at work during the shut down. Last time it took them about 2 months to get paid when they worked for over two weeks for free.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Live2Learn

Quote from: stillamarine on January 29, 2018, 05:29:29 PM
So you're unaware of any actual issues that occurred due to the shutdown. Got it. And not everyone had free vacation days. Many employees were at work during the shut down. Last time it took them about 2 months to get paid when they worked for over two weeks for free.

But ... you will be paid...  so you didn't "work for free".  FWIW, I have friends who are fellow CAP members who "worked for free" for several weeks to keep their company afloat, and then waited for several more weeks for the "free" weeks to be paid.  I, for one, appreciate your willingness to suck it up and show up.  Thank you.

Yes, I am very well aware of "issues" faced by the Federal workforce and have personal experience with same.  I'm a "vet" in many senses of the word.  One being multiple Congressional squabbles that ended (again) just as the Framers intended... I also have several friends and a few family members who work for other governmental entities (State agencies, municipalities) and others who work for companies both large and small... I even know and am related to several persons who are self employed (Now THOSE folks understand where paychecks come from!). 

IMHO, a short interruption in cash flow is one of those easily mitigated life events we really should plan for.   It's one of those events (a.k.a. "small stuff")  we might perhaps avoid by finding different employers (maybe).  To me it just makes good sense to CAREFULLY build up a cash reserve over time that provides sufficient cushion to address known and anticipatable expenses and exigencies. 

On the CAP side of the equation, we've "suffered" a short hiatus in some flight activities.  No big deal.  Some parks that don't use contractors didn't pick up trash.  For a lot of Feds who have weekends off ... well they had a  weekend off anyhow.  And a somewhat smaller number of "essential" employees most went to work with the understanding that Congress 'might' pay them for hours work... and for which every prior Congress had followed through.  Again thank you.

abdsp51

So you feel its important for folks to be forced to work, not be paid because one party wants criminals protected.  You're not a vet..

Pace

And we're way off the CAP reservation.

*click*
Lt Col, CAP